A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: So confused by Rowan Denim! Help?  (Read 455 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tiniestmonkey
« on: July 11, 2007 09:50:03 AM »

Hi everyone...
I have been trying to knit "Louise" from the Rowan Denim People book using the Rowan Denim yarn it calls for.  I finished the front pieces and the back with no problem.  Now I am on to the sleeves--even though I am knitting at gauge, they look ludicrously long, longer than the 10% shrinkage seems like it could fix.  Of course there are no pre-washing measurements for the pattern, so I can't tell what I'm supposed to be aiming for really.  Rowan's website doesn't really have anything to help, and as far as I can tell from various googlings, there aren't any bloggers who have tried to knit this pattern and talked about it.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I don't want to waste all of this yarn on something that looks ridiculous, especially since the yarn was a gift from my bf!  Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007 02:29:10 PM »

Hi everyone...
I have been trying to knit "Louise" from the Rowan Denim People book using the Rowan Denim yarn it calls for.  I finished the front pieces and the back with no problem.  Now I am on to the sleeves--even though I am knitting at gauge, they look ludicrously long, longer than the 10% shrinkage seems like it could fix.  Of course there are no pre-washing measurements for the pattern, so I can't tell what I'm supposed to be aiming for really.  Rowan's website doesn't really have anything to help, and as far as I can tell from various googlings, there aren't any bloggers who have tried to knit this pattern and talked about it.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I don't want to waste all of this yarn on something that looks ridiculous, especially since the yarn was a gift from my bf!  Thanks!!!

Don't they normally have schematics with the diagrams? They should do. Also, if it's an inset sleeve you have to take into consideration the shoulder and the upperarm measurements which is like, another four inches or so. Perhaps that's why the sleeves may seem so long.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiniestmonkey
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007 02:37:51 PM »

Hi everyone...

Don't they normally have schematics with the diagrams? They should do. Also, if it's an inset sleeve you have to take into consideration the shoulder and the upperarm measurements which is like, another four inches or so. Perhaps that's why the sleeves may seem so long.

The reason I was so confused is that there is a schematic for what the measurements are supposed to be after the sweater shrinks, but not before!  But I think you've solved it Cranberry!  It does have set-in sleeves!  I've never done them before, so I had no idea they would need to be so much longer than "regular" sleeves!  That thought at least gives me the courage to go on and see what happens!  Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007 03:18:57 PM »

Hi everyone...

The reason I was so confused is that there is a schematic for what the measurements are supposed to be after the sweater shrinks, but not before!  But I think you've solved it Cranberry!  It does have set-in sleeves!  I've never done them before, so I had no idea they would need to be so much longer than "regular" sleeves!  That thought at least gives me the courage to go on and see what happens!  Thanks Smiley

No worries, I've knitted with denim yarn before and its interesting, to say the least.  You could do a swatch, and see how it measures up. Since you'll need to use post treated denim yarn for the sewing up (you know that, right?).

Also, an FYI on inset sleeves, take your time. Also, do a lot of reading before you tackle it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007 03:21:00 PM by cranberry » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Cinderella Makeup for Halloween
Going to College in NYC
How to Get a Sun-Kissed Look!
How to Get Fierce Lion Makeup for Halloween
Try Neon and Nude Makeup For Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...