A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Backyard Playset - image heavy  (Read 15499 times)
Tags for this thread: fort , playhouse , craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugarbeth
no such thing as too many projects!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2007 09:16:22 AM »

This is what happens when craftsters get old and have a bunch of power tools - just a warning! Smiley

This is a project from last summer. I thought I should finally get around to documenting it. It was really satisfying to build from scratch. A playset this size (and it is pretty big) would be well over $4000 from someplace like Rainbow or Backyard Adventures.

I made the playhouse part of it an homage to our first house which was painted this color. The swings and ladder hardware and accessories were from byoswingset.com. The slide and swing arm braces were from one of the big hardware stores. The lumber is from Dunn lumber - a local lumber store here. I HIGHLY recommend getting your lumber from your local lumber yard rather than Home Depot, Lowe's etc. The lumber yard will be cheaper, delivery will likely be free (or cheap), and you just drive through and they load up your car. It's awesome.

Power tools I used: Drill, circular saw, power sander, jig saw, miter saw.

In addition to lumber you need: about 100 3/8x3" galvanized lag bolts + washers, 5-6 lbs of decking screws (2" I think), various strongtie braces.

I put a shingled roof on, but if I had to do it over, I would just make a simple roof using cedar siding.

The area was first cleared and leveled, then we put down a layer of weedblocker fabric. Built the structure, and then made an enclosure for the woodchips out of 2x8 treated lumber. I think there's something like 6-8 sq yards of wood play chips in there.

My original sketch. The plans changed somewhat as I forgoed the monkey bars and the peepholes in the house panels.

I labeled a bunch of pictures with the dimensions of the lumber that was used. Some of the lengths might be approximate. But basically, the structure is based on the 4 4x4x10' support posts. The deck is 5' off the ground. The 2x6x5' horizontal supports do most of the work holding it all together. In the pics, you can't see the 2x6's that are at the base since they are covered in wood chips, but refer to the sketch for that.

It is all held together with 3/8x3" galvanized lag bolts. I would first make a recess for the bolt head +washer with a 1" forstner bit on the drill, then pre-drill a hole for the lag bolt. There was a lot of cranking bolts on in this project!

Anyhoo, the point of my story is this: Just because you are a girl, it doesn't mean that you can't build big cool things out of wood. But do have your man do the heavy lifting parts. Wink
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010 08:35:19 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
crafty momma to Lilu and Toby
Martin Handmade Tile
ritathepita
wish I had many arms

Rita the Pita

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007 09:30:23 AM »

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How long did it take you to build this?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

enjoyin' my life as a mommy!
want to get into crafts but so little time!
pixing
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007 09:50:11 AM »

having had a temp job at a backyard playset (childlife) store, I can assure you that it would have been at least $4k - crazy

that's the way to do it - way to go!

i'm sure the kids will love it for a long time (then you can sell it!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007 10:02:20 AM »

What an amazing job!
Those kids are so lucky to have you as their mother.
BeaG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarbeth
no such thing as too many projects!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007 10:09:55 AM »

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How long did it take you to build this?!

Thanks! It took me about 3 weeks of June for the main structure, and a little bit longer for the roof. But first there was the prep work - I had to remove a couple of ugly trees, and move some shrubs, level the dirt. And then build the perimeter too. It would've been faster if I didn't have the kids around - but then I wouldn't have been building that thing in the first place - lol. Smiley I would just work on it here and there when they were occupied doing something else. Most of the work was cutting the wood, sanding the ends (oh god, sooo much sanding), predrilling the holes and then staining. All of that could be done before assembly. So that made it easy to do on my own while dealing with the kids too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
crafty momma to Lilu and Toby
Martin Handmade Tile
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007 10:54:37 AM »

That is just incredible..
I wish my husband were good with woodwork.. he didn't get that gene from his father, who is handy.

Once, before we were married, my husband made a bathouse...  Okay. We dont' talk about the bathouse too often - he made it with like 3/4" plywood - it was the heaviest bathouse in the history of bathouses...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
slb2724
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007 10:55:57 AM »

That is so awesome! Are there any pictures of the full structure?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
PeachesEveryday
Just a little peach

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007 11:27:02 AM »

That is so great!

You must have the most popular back yard in the neighborhood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity. - Gilda Radner
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007 11:31:13 AM »

That is just incredible..
I wish my husband were good with woodwork.. he didn't get that gene from his father, who is handy.

This reply made me laugh.
Did you read the initial post? Woman can do these kind of things too, you know?
Lol,
BeaG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beeclef

The crafter formerly known as Bongirl5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007 11:40:36 AM »

Wow... I'm in complete awe.  So if you don't mind me asking, what was the total cost of the project when all was said and done?  It looks so professional! I bow to your mad, mad skills.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wonderfully Awkward - my blog http://www.bclef.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Concept of Exposure Latitude
Office Production Assistant - Job Guide
Set Production Assistant Job Guide
How to Get a Production Assistant Job
What the Art Department on a Film Set Does
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...