A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,409
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Quilt - Pattern Suggestions?  (Read 1509 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 11, 2007 08:58:00 AM »

When I find some spare time, I'd love to learn how to quilt. Does anyone have any suggestions for a solid, simple pattern good for beginners?

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007 09:58:50 AM »

Rail fence and Nine patch are the two kind of "quintessential" beginner's quilt patterns.  Both are good and can be beautiful, too.  You can find them and MANY other patterns at www.quilterscache.com.  Probably the absolute easiest thing is to just sew same-sized squares together (which I guess might be called "one patch") but I guess that's not exactly a pattern.  A lot of people also do samplers for their first quilt (a quilt where every block is a different pattern) because it gives them a chance to try out different patterns and techniques.  My first was a crazy quilt because mistakes don't show very much!!  Good luck and happy quilting!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007 09:59:30 AM by LibbyK » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007 02:01:39 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions... I'm intrigued by the crazy quilt and just may attempt it. If anyone else has any thoughts, please let me know. I'd love to see photos of first quilts, if you have them...
Rebel at home & abroad.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007 02:30:13 PM »

I wouldn't do a crazy-quilt for a first quilt.  I did a nine-patch and I highly recommend it.  You'll be using the same sized squares so you don't have to mess much with the math of seam allowances.  Plus you can decide to using sashing or not. 

Although a one-patch would work too.  Just different fabrics all cut in the same sized squares - you can sew them randomly into strips, or follow any kind of pattern you want.  Plus it's easy to graph it all out.

Your Personal Penguin

Who Will Comfort Toffle?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007 09:08:17 PM »

My first quilt was a simple one-block with a little bit of fussy cutting, and simple stitch-in-the-ditch quilting.

There are many really effective designs that can be achieved with this really simple starting point, and it's a great way to practice your techniques and to learn things like binding and piecing.

I have a blog!!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007 08:58:08 AM »

I did my first quilt in a class and then went straight to a challenging pattern right after that without realizing it... Try not to do that.. it's quite discouraging...

For your first quilt I recommend a quilt like giff showed here, or nine patch, log cabin, or a rail fence.  Stay away from triangles to start out because the bias edges can stretch if you don't handle them carefully at all stages making your blocks all crazy. 

I prefer to use patterns and follow directions, so crazy quilting isn't my preferred method...

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007 10:01:38 AM »

If you can afford it, I recommend buying a quilting book to help you out. (What's another $10 or $15 when you are spending so much as it is on material and tools?) 

I made a queen sized Around the World quilt, when I was 17.  I followed the directions from the "Quilt in a day" series of books:

It took about 60 hours of work (total) to complete.  The book was very detailed and had great instructions on how to do everything: cutting fabric with a rotary tool, sewing short cuts (like strips), and how to bind a quilt.   

will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007 02:06:16 AM »

look into quilt stores in your area, and take a beginners class....i have experience in quilting, but since i dont know anyone in my whole life who quilts, i am taking the class, so i can get one on one information and help

also, i recommend doing a patchwork quilt to start with, something easy with pretty squares, prolly medium or small sized (whatever is medium or small for you) to familiarize yourself with all the ins and outs of assembly and pressing...

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007 07:05:32 AM »

I'm loving all the suggestions! I think that perhaps, I'll try a class, then go from there. Like Rainylakechick, I don't really know anyone who quilts, so I have no idea even where to begin!

Thanks for the support! When I start, I'll keep you all updated.

I'd love to see pics of more first time quilts...

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007 06:46:50 AM »

OK, since you asked, ha ha!   Wink

Here is my imfamous first quilt, the crazy quilt.  I feel like I talk about it all the time.  I used the "stitch and flip" method of construction - you don't have to cut any pieces, you just take scraps and sew them down.  A quick google reveals - nothing.  I can't find a tutorial on this sorry Sad  But it's dang easy, although it would have been a lot more complicated if I wouldn't have had a big ole box of scraps to use.

Sewing the blocks for that inspired me to do this (top not yet quilted):

Same method of construction, but obviously a very different look.

Ultimately I hope whatever you choose for your first quilt won't be too frustrating, because I would hate for you to be scared off!  But when all is said and done sometimes you just have to jump into it and see what happens...!  As I have said before my first quilt (that crazy quilt) was at least two years beginning to end, and that second quilt top was finished in 2005 and still isn't a quilt, so there's no rush, either Cheesy

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mermaid Tail Blanket
October 19, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Vanilla Extract

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...