A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Opinions Please - Should I go with products or information on my site?  (Read 844 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pursebiz
« on: November 27, 2004 08:09:49 AM »

Huh

I have an online handbag business and am more interested in the actual design of bags and history and information about
handbags than I am in actually selling products.  I have set up a handbag blog and an RSS feed and would like some opinions on what direction my site should take.  Should I just concentrate on selling products or become more of a source for information?

Any feedback would be helpful!
http://henriettashandbags.com

Thanks,
Henrietta
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004 08:11:47 AM by pursebiz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When in doubt, wear red" - Bill Blass
Lindsayanne
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004 08:26:11 AM »

Could you do a little of both? For example, a good tutorial on how to make a unique bag- and then sell the supplies? OR sell the tutorial for making a complicated purse using things that wouldn't need to be ordered.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaffagirl1

Summer's kiss is over, baby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004 10:43:39 AM »

I think it comes down to how much money you need to make from your online business. If you sell purses you can make money...If you're a source for info you probably can't make any money, unless you have advertisers, or sell supplies and books.

If you want to do both I would suggest seperating the two a bit more...Your handbags are cute but right now there is too much reading  at the top of the page for someone who just wants to buy pretty things (like me!). Your bag selling business relies on visual stimulation. Mabye you could put picutres of the products closer to the top and links to your blog and info a little lower.  Everyone who likes your bags and wants more info will end up scrolling down to see what else is available.

Just my $.02  Grin I hope that is helpful and not too naggy. Mad props to anyone who has their own business.

Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Curse softly to me, baby, and smother me in your love. Temptation comes not from hell but from above.
pursebiz
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004 11:36:48 AM »

Thanks a lot for your opinions!  Sometimes you are so involved in something that you really need an objective
opinion to see clearly.  Looking at my site with "new eyes", I see that there is too much verbage at the top
(I was trying to make the search engines happy!) and that I need more visuals.

Do you think I should set up two sites and just have them linked?

Thanks!
Henrietta
(pursebiz)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovepaper
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004 03:12:25 AM »

linking would be the way to go, imho.
nice bags and site!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pursebiz
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004 04:52:51 AM »

I have always been unsure about links.  Should you go with sites that are relevant such as handbags, accessories, etc. or should you go with sites that have good page rank?  What about sites that bury your link in thousands of other links - does that help your site?
Obviously, I am new to optimization and am struggling through.  Does anybody know of any books or tutorials that would help? 

Thanks,
Henrietta
 Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaffagirl1

Summer's kiss is over, baby

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004 02:31:56 PM »

I don't see any problem with linking. If you divide up your services by putting 3 links  like "handbag blog," "history of handbags," and "handbag making," while keeping your main page dedicated to sales, that will cut down a lot on clutter and make it easier for people to find what they are looking for.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Curse softly to me, baby, and smother me in your love. Temptation comes not from hell but from above.
Lindsayanne
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004 01:48:49 PM »

I have always been unsure about links.  Should you go with sites that are relevant such as handbags, accessories, etc. or should you go with sites that have good page rank?  What about sites that bury your link in thousands of other links - does that help your site?
Obviously, I am new to optimization and am struggling through.  Does anybody know of any books or tutorials that would help? 

Search Engine Optimization is, by necessity, a big hobby of mine. I wrote a lot on it in several posts on this thread: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=15211.0 and in those posts there are links to some good tutorials.

Basically, with links, take whatever you can get, google won't penalize you for who is ranking TO you. But you should never link out to million link pages/adult/gambling/or pages that are really unrelated to yours. If it's a non reciprical link- I'll let me link be posted anywhere- but if I have to link back to them, they've gotta be related and have less than 75 links on the page with my link.

at the most rudametary level, "how good" a link from a site will be for you can be calculated by figuring the page's PR divided by the number of outbound links on the page. So being one of three links on a PR1 page is actually better than being one of sixty links on a PR3 page.

BTW, Experts are thinking google's judge of "themes" is much broader than originally thought- so linking to any sort of craft/gift/purse/backpack/jewelry/etc would be fine.

PR only updates quartly now (they think) so even if a page looks like it has no PR it may have significant PR. - I exchange links with PR0 sites ESPECIALLY if they ask me- you have to figure anyone with a PR0 who is doing a links campaign isn't going to stay PR0 for long. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
David McCullough Reveals His Favorite Movies
Dr. Craig Martin Talks About Elemental Love Styles
Nora Titone Talks About My Thoughts Be Bloody
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 5
Eugene Jarecki Wishes He Had This Talent
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...