A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 315,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Puckered cross-stitch and waste canvas (two questions for the price of one!)  (Read 1601 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sirensrising
« on: July 10, 2007 07:09:48 PM »

I recently finished a small enough cross-stitch (about the size of my hand if my thumb was horribly amputated) that I did hoopless, and as a result it's slightly puckered in places. I'm hoping to frame it as a gift and I'm just wondering, is there anything I could do to straighten it out? Would ironing it work, or crushing it flat under War and Peace? (plus that way it'll be so learn-ed  Cheesy)

Secondly, a question about waste canvas: you just tape it in place over the part of t-shirt or whatever you want to cross-stitch on, right? And then you cross-stitch, and then you wet it and it dissolves and you pull it out with tweezers? (Correct me on any bit I've gotten wrong or missed so far!) But what about the back? How sturdy is it? Most of my cross stitching is just sort of tied and tucked in at the back when I finish a thread, but a t-shirt (or whatever) will be getting a lot more wear and tear. Any tips? Will I need fusible interfacing? (I don't really want to use it because I've heard bad things) And if I need fusible interfacing, how will my design last?

Thanks for any help!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
Flia
Purple butterfly

Yarn, pearls, thread, pearls, yarn, yarn, yarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007 02:06:48 AM »

I recently finished a small enough cross-stitch (about the size of my hand if my thumb was horribly amputated) that I did hoopless, and as a result it's slightly puckered in places. I'm hoping to frame it as a gift and I'm just wondering, is there anything I could do to straighten it out? Would ironing it work, or crushing it flat under War and Peace? (plus that way it'll be so learn-ed  Cheesy)

Secondly, a question about waste canvas: you just tape it in place over the part of t-shirt or whatever you want to cross-stitch on, right? And then you cross-stitch, and then you wet it and it dissolves and you pull it out with tweezers? (Correct me on any bit I've gotten wrong or missed so far!) But what about the back? How sturdy is it? Most of my cross stitching is just sort of tied and tucked in at the back when I finish a thread, but a t-shirt (or whatever) will be getting a lot more wear and tear. Any tips? Will I need fusible interfacing? (I don't really want to use it because I've heard bad things) And if I need fusible interfacing, how will my design last?

Thanks for any help!  Smiley

1.You will have to block the piece. Use you ironing board or anything that you can use pins on. Wet it down and pin it to the ironing board, stretching it to the right size. Let it dry in place, or iron it with a cloth between with the pins still in.

2. With waste canvas you usually have to fasten the threads rather neatly, but you should be ok anyway. Just follow the instructions (as you wrote). You could of course sew it on to the t-shirt... In Sweden we have something called "vliseline", that you put between the peaces and then iron. Glue for textiles is another option.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Immaculata
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007 03:19:18 AM »

I think I would use vliseline too, but I've never stitched on a Tshirt, so hopefully someone with experience can help you. This person: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=177270.0   did use it.

I usually don't use a hoop when I'm cross stitching something small, like a birthday card, but I would defenitely use a hoop for a T-shirt or what I'm now making, a table cloth.

Good luck !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sirensrising
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007 07:13:07 AM »

Thanks for the help!
Can you block aida? (Sorry if that's a silly question...)

I've never heard of vliseline, but if I see it around I'll definitely check it out!

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
Flia
Purple butterfly

Yarn, pearls, thread, pearls, yarn, yarn, yarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007 09:47:38 AM »

Yes, you can (and should always) block aida
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Immaculata
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007 10:05:28 AM »

It might be called different where you live, but in the biggest part of continental europe it's callled Vliseline. It's a brand name of fusible interfacing, it's the most popular brand so everybody just talks about Vliseline.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sirensrising
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007 10:14:47 AM »

It might be called different where you live, but in the biggest part of continental europe it's callled Vliseline. It's a brand name of fusible interfacing, it's the most popular brand so everybody just talks about Vliseline.
Oh it's fusible interfacing! Okay, great, I'll look out for that brand next time I'm around! Hopefully it's what we have here too (Ireland). Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My artwork at Etsy!
Immaculata
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007 03:57:13 PM »

There's also a known brand of fusible interfacing that washes away in water called Avalon.  Smiley

And I'm sure they can advice you in the shop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crossstitchpro
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007 07:29:26 AM »

Is your piece puckered because you didn't leave enough thread in the back when you needed to skip spaces while you stitched? If that is the case, I don't think blocking will help. If I was in that predicament, I would clip the offending thread that was causing the puckering, block the piece, then iron on some lightweight fusible interfacing to keep the loose threads from coming unstitched. Not pretty, but it would do the job.
I always use a hoop, even on small projects because it helps me to prevent puckering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My favorite website for personal reasons!

http://crossstitchpro.com
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007 10:23:58 AM »

No, whenever I had to skip spaces with my thread I made sure to stretch the fabric out to make sure it didn't get pulled/curled/tied in. I think it was just a bit puckered because of general working by hand, but I blocked it and most of the problems been solved.

Thanks everyone!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My artwork at Etsy!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Cajun Shrimp Sauté Recipe
Succulent Grilled Ribeye Steak Recipe
Juicy Kitchen Grilled Chicken Strips Recipe
Creamy Cooktop Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Deviled Ham-Cream Cheese Finger Sandwiches Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...