A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 6-year-old's Unicorn Birthday Extravaganza!  (Read 2266 times)
Tags for this thread: unicorn  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugarbeth
no such thing as too many projects!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 10, 2007 12:28:28 PM »

First....the Story....

Lilu’s Unicorn Story

Hi, I’m Lilu’s mom. I want to tell you about the unicorn in our backyard. It all started last March when Spring came and all the flowers began to bloom. I was just minding my own business, doing the dishes at the kitchen sink and I glanced out the back window to see a white and pink blur just out of sight. “What the heck was THAT?!” I remember asking myself. I was so puzzled that I just figured it was my imagination.

I almost forgot about that encounter until two weeks later when I heard the crows yelling. I was curious about what made them cause such a ruckus, and I looked out my bedroom window. My eyes widened and I think my jaw must have dropped all the way to the floor, because outside in the backyard I saw it – a UNICORN.

Could it be real? It sure looked real. He was beautiful. Tall with long legs, white fur with a pinkish-purplish mane and tail. His horn looked like it was made out of pearls. And I swear he sparkled.

He didn’t know that I was looking at him. I debated whether I should stay and admire him while he was there, or take a chance to grab my camera. I decided to go for the camera – I mean, how else is anyone going to believe that I saw a unicorn? They’ll think I’m crazy!

Quietly, I tiptoed out on the deck, ready to snap my picture. I didn’t realize it, but 2-year-old Toby had followed behind me. He saw what was in our yard and yelled, “Horse!!”

OH NO!! Startled, the unicorn bolted and jumped over the fence. I only managed to get a blurry picture of his rear end. Argh!! So frustrating!

At least I had SOMETHING to show to my family and friends. But still, I was met with a lot of skepticism: “Oh, you just made that picture on your computer, that didn’t really happen.” Or “I don’t see a horn on it, and besides, unicorns aren’t real.” I was so bummed that nobody believed me – except for Lilu – she LOVED unicorns.

Every day I watched for that unicorn. I would sit in the backyard with Toby hoping that he would come by again. But weeks went by and nothing. Lilu would come home from school and ask me all excitedly, “Did he come, mom? Did you see him?” and I’d have to tell her “no, not today.” It was making the both of us a little glum.

Then one sunny day after a rain, something else amazing happened. I was on the deck, looking out into the yard when a yellow butterfly flew up and landed on the railing next to me. When I examined the butterfly more closely, I realized that it wasn’t a butterfly at all – it was a little fairy! Two magical things at our house! What are the odds?

I had to get right up close to hear her, for her voice was so small, but she introduced herself as Eilie, princess of the Tiger Swallowtails.

She knew I was looking for the unicorn, and she told me that I was very lucky to see as much of him as I did. “He must be coming here for a very good reason,” she said. “The only thing that I can think of that would bring one of the unicorns out in public would be that they are getting ready to name their next Unicorn Princess. Perhaps they believe that she lives here.” 

I gasped! “Lilu! He’s looking for Lilu! She’s at school all day, that’s why he can’t find her!”
“Ahh, you have a little girl! Then that really must be the reason he’s been here,” Eilie replied. “Tell you what,” she added, “I will ask around and see if there’s a way to get him to come when she’s home. Meanwhile, keep watering the garden by the playground, I know that unicorns find those particular flowers hard to resist.”

That was good advice that Eilie gave me and I passed it on to Lilu. She watered that garden diligently every day, and look who came by!!

The unicorn ran off when he saw me, and I yelled after him, “She’s here!! Your Unicorn Princess is here! She’s just at school right now! Please stay!!!” But either he didn’t understand me or he was too frightened, because he just bolted over the fence again.

At least now I have two good pictures of him to show people that he really does exist! Fairies too! Lilu made me print out copies of the photos and she keeps them by her bed at night. I hadn’t yet told her that she might be the next Unicorn Princess, because I was not quite sure if that was true and I didn’t want to hurt her feelings if it wasn’t. She was happy enough simply having some magical visitors.

Up until now we’ve been keeping our unicorn story a secret. But something happened yesterday and we need your help. We were having dinner, and the doorbell rang. I went to answer it with the kids running after me like they always do, but when I opened the door, there was nobody there. As I closed the door, Lilu shouted, “What’s that!?” She picked the item up before I even saw what she was talking about. It was a teeny tiny yellow envelope, left sitting on the welcome mat.

“I think it’s a letter from a fairy!” I told Lilu. “Go ahead and open it!”

Luckily, Lilu had just gotten a magnifying glass, otherwise, it would’ve been very hard to read this note! It said…

Dearest Lilu,
Rumor has it that the Sunday after Midsummer, the unicorns will come for their princess, and I think it just might be you! On that day you must assemble 5 of your friends to become your princess court. Dress like you are a Unicorn Princess already – the sparklier, the better! When you are done, recite the following poem, and then the unicorns will know that you are ready!

O, unicorn with coat so white,
Your beauty is divine,
With all my heart and soul,
I wish you could be mine.

For if you were, I'd love you so,
And protect you from all harm,
So all the world would come to know,
The magic of your charm.

~ Eilie

So, on the Sunday after Midsummer (June 24th), we will throw a party to welcome the unicorns! It just so happens to be Lilu’s birthday party too! The girls will transform into  princesses and who knows what we might see!

Hope to see you there!!

...that was the invitation to the party, courtesy of a liberal dose of photoshop.  Grin

Back with the party rundown...

edited to add: I wrote everything but the poem - got that off the web - the creativity well was runnin' dry by that point!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007 12:34:11 PM by sugarbeth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
crafty momma to Lilu and Toby
Martin Handmade Tile
sugarbeth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007 12:33:08 PM »

Unicorn Party!

Note: I didn't come up with a lot of this stuff on my own - I got a lot of these ideas off of the internet.

Lilu's 6th birthday party was a smashing success! That was so much fun to set up. Thanks to Chad for helping me out.  The rundown:

Saturday I started setting the mood by having Eilie the fairy leave a note for Lilu on the doorstep. Up until this point, Lilu knew this was all a made-up story, but I added another dimension by bringing the fairy letters to life. I'd made a bunch of teeny tiny yellow envelopes with notes printed with teeny little fonts. Chad would sneak out and ring the doorbell and run back inside. This one said:

Dearest Lilu,
Tomorrow is the day!
I hope you are ready!
~Eilie

Oh, she was so excited! She was counting down the minutes to her party. But she is already quite a good skeptic and was grilling me about that note. I like to dodge the questions by asking more questions. "What makes you think that I put that note there?" "Do you think I can write that small?" "How would you prove that I wrote that note?"  It was so fun to see her imagination take off. (And I was so proud of her investigative instincts!)

So the party starts, the girls are decked out in their princess dresses, and I paint a unicorn/butterfly face on them as soon as they walk in, and give them a sparkly "pony" tail holder.

Then we make our own body glitter. I bought some containers and aloe gel from the drugstore, and fine glitter from the craft store. Each girl got to mix their own, and then they got themselves all sparkly. And this is about where most of the face paint gets smeared. lol

Next, we made shrinky-dink charm bracelets. I got some cheapie bracelets on sale at the craft store, jump rings, and a bunch of plain shrinky-dink plastic. I traced 5 designs for the bracelet charms - a unicorn, butterfly, heart, and flowers. The girls colored and cut them out, then I baked them and Chad helped me assemble them while the girls looked through the "Unicorns I Have Known" book from the library, which is a book of realistic unicorn photos and they ate their "unicorn horn" lollipops.

Now we were all ready to read the unicorn poem. We weren't sure what was going to happen next, so we started opening presents. Then the doorbell rang! There was nobody there - but wait! A letter from Eilie!

Lilu and friends,
The unicorns are in trouble.
You must find them.
Look near the rosebushes.
~ Eilie

And so begins the quest! Chad put some unicorn "fur" (soft purplish yarn) snagged in the rosebushes. Another note:

There is another clue
near the back gate.
Please hurry.
~Eilie

Near the back gate was a glittery horseshoe (wooden one from the craft store covered in glitter). Next note:

I fear the worst –
I saw a broken horn in
the garden. Protect it well
And do not drop it!
~ Eilie

This horn gave me so much trouble! First off, those are a lot harder to sculpt than you would think! I made it out of tile clay, and I was trying to speed up the drying in the oven and the frickin thing exploded! So I was left with about 3 inches of it, which actually lent itself nicely to the story that it was broken, but dang! It was so cool when it was big! I painted the dried clay with pearly white paint. I would've fired it if I had more time. Next note:

I know that they are close –
I can hear them call
for help. It sounds like
it is coming from high up.
Look well and see if you can
find them.
~Eilie

I bought each girl a stuffed unicorn - small beanies for the guests, a big one for Lilu. Chad put them in a garbage bag "trap" and strung them up in a tree. Final note:

Congratulations, Princess Lilu!
You have all passed the test!
You were brave and clever
And have completed the quest.
The unicorns must stay magical,
But they leave you these gifts.
Enjoy them and have a
Wonderful Birthday.
With Love,
Eilie and the Unicorns

I've got the hunt on video. They all had a blast, and it was so fun to watch them get so into it. Totally worth the effort. After that we had cake, finished presents, and cracked the pinata. Then they were out in the backyard looking for more unicorns.

Lilu knows my part in the whole scheme now. She's already asking for the same deal for next year, but with just fairies. I'm on it! Smiley

Almost forgot the cake! This is a Pantastic pan. It looks very elaborate, but it's mostly candy melts for the body, so it's really easy to make it look good!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007 01:24:03 PM by sugarbeth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
Martin Handmade Tile
Tenille
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007 12:33:46 PM »

That is soo adorable! That party is totall rocked!  I wish my mom had thrown me parties like that!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007 12:37:12 PM by Tenille » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on Ravelry Now!!! my usrname is Libraryhooker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille
www.libraryhooker.b logspot.com

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
melissafairy08
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007 01:03:40 PM »

You are my hero. I am 26 years old and I wish my Mommy owudl throw me a Unicorn party!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.
Anam
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007 01:05:49 PM »

What a wonderful Mama you are!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beansoda
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007 01:07:46 PM »

I am almost crying! This is the greatest thing I have ever read!

Congratulations Princess Lilu!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007 01:50:55 PM »

Wow - oh wow! How are you EVER going to top that party? Because it was the coolest in the entire world!!! Your daughter is sooo lucky to have you for a mom!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
sugarbeth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007 02:29:44 PM »

Thanks, guys! It was such a blast to put together. And yes, I'm totally living vicariously through my daughter - lol. I figure I only have a few years to do the creative parties before she wants me to have nothing to do with the festivities. ha ha!

We've come up with another idea for my son's birthday when he's older. (Lilu's helped concoct this one.) Same deal, but a dragon theme. Leave dragon parts around for the "hunt" - a footprint, a shiny scale, a tooth, a claw. Then when they get to the end - an elaborate paper mache dragon pinata that they get to "slay" with wooden swords. Need to think about that end part, so they don't accidently clobber each other, but you get the idea. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
Martin Handmade Tile
myklia
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007 03:00:24 PM »

That is just the best ever.  I have a niece who loved unicorns when she was younger, but she has a twin sister who wasn't into unicorns, so the idea wouldn't have worked anyways, but what a wonderful wonderful idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50srocknrollergirl
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007 11:05:31 PM »

WOW Great party!  You did so well with the whole story thin...so magical!  Thanks or sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Cream Blushes For Different Skin Tones
Foods to Avoid For Better Skin
New Tool To Apply Perfect Eye Makeup
Packing 101: Everything You Need for a Summer Wedding
Japanese Snail Beauty Treatment
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...