A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2 new dresses for the bunny - tiers and cheytown's button up!!  (Read 817 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kcjc
« on: July 10, 2007 09:31:03 AM »

Holy mother of god - this dress sucked big time! I really wanted to pitch it in the trash at one point, but I get kind of stubborn and it was going to be finished or I'd kill myself trying. Seriously - it was a McCall's Easy Stitch and Save (M5370) but I just had to make it harder on myself!!

I've mentioned before how much I really, really hate to gather. So I thought I'd get all sneaky and gather the tiers with elastic thread. Not such a brilliant idea. The top tier went on just fine, the second and third tiers required me to enlist an extra 2 and then an extra 4 hands so I could get it pinned evenly. And it doesn't really hang/twirl like it should. But dang it, it's finished!!

No action shots because my little model was super cranky. And as it turns out, it's way too long for her and a big in the bodice as well. I'm just packing it up for next year because there is NO WAY I'm pulling it apart to shorten all the tiers. I don't want to just pull the hem up more because I want the tiers to all have the same proportions.

I was 100% exasperated after my "easy" mc calls project - even if it was my fault that it became hard - and so I decided to whip up one of cheytown's button down to dress dresses...

Much easier, much faster and MUCH cuter! It only took me the morning yesterday. She wore it to the airport to go pick up my folks and seriously, about 5 different people asked me where I got it.
Cheytown, you rock and I am going to make many more of these dresses!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007 10:32:25 AM »

The pattern for the first dress might suck, but the resulting dress is lovely!  I like it Smiley  The second dress is adorable too!  I'll have to check out that tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
mamakay
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007 11:25:04 AM »

I like your fabric choices for the first dress, it will be her best summer dress next year  Wink  You button-up dress is cute, everyone is finding the best shirts to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheytown
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007 04:02:32 PM »

well, the first dress IS really cute regardless of the sucky pattern. i'm sad to hear the elastic thread trick didn't work. (i've been eying vegbee's twirly patchwork dress and was hoping i could do the gathering that way. oh well.)

Cheytown, you rock and I am going to make many more of these dresses!
thanks. i haven't managed to post another completed project, so it's nice to get the residual ego boost! Wink your dress is ADORABLE. can't wait to see more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Win At Arm Wrestling
How to Win At Thumb Wrestling
How to Make Clay Animals
How to Make a Single Flower Dome Arrangement
How to Sew With a Sewing Machine
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...