A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,138
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Offensive crafts?  (Read 5785 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Keena
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007 02:00:03 PM »

i'm offended by crafts like this:  http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5525281

some crafters mean well- but you have to use discernment..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007 02:11:44 PM »

Erm...
I don't really see what the problem is with that.

If you're referring to the fact that she's labelled it as "primitive", that actually refers to the style of doll making and not to the fact that she's gone for a "tribal" theme for that particular doll.

It is a little stereotypical, perhaps, with the whole "wise woman" thing, but it's no worse than the "tribal" stuff you see peddled by hippy shops every day.

Can you explain what upsets you about it, please? I do like to be able to see both sides of an argument Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thriftjunkie

if patience started a band, i'd be her biggest fan

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007 02:23:47 PM »

i am really not easily offended, but i have had to reply to a project that really offended me before. the best way i can descrive it was that it was making fun of people with a type of mental illness. of course, i was the only one offended. i really wish people would just have tried to understand my point of view, instead of just saying it didn't offend them. that felt closeminded more than anything.

on myspace, once i saw these two girls who had dressed up as young incest victims for halloween, basically wearing slutty clothes that had "i love daddy" written on them, and then smearing blood all over themselves and holding "aborted babies." as a sexual assault advocate, i could not have been more horrified.

i think, to a certain extent, doing things that are offensive and understanding that they are offensive and not funny can be ok, for the sake of art and free speech. but doing them do be funny is quite immature.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007 02:29:11 PM »

It seems that when things cross the line into "just plain mean" "cruel", or "hateful" is when someone can really be offensive.  I say craftsters keep on with the warning labels and those who have something to share that is questionable about crossing that line can post somewhere else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thriftjunkie

if patience started a band, i'd be her biggest fan

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007 02:34:14 PM »

i'm offended by crafts like this:  http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5525281

some crafters mean well- but you have to use discernment..

that can be offensive to people because it is a caricature of a black face. it seems to look like the black stereotypes portrayed by actors in blackface- pretty much the epitome of racism. look at the resemblance to this picture:

i'd be interested to know whether the artist intended it in this way. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keena
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007 02:37:22 PM »

Erm...
I don't really see what the problem is with that.

If you're referring to the fact that she's labelled it as "primitive", that actually refers to the style of doll making and not to the fact that she's gone for a "tribal" theme for that particular doll.

It is a little stereotypical, perhaps, with the whole "wise woman" thing, but it's no worse than the "tribal" stuff you see peddled by hippy shops every day.

Can you explain what upsets you about it, please? I do like to be able to see both sides of an argument Smiley

i understand the various definitions of "primitive" when it comes to art. but it reminds me too much of the black dolls from back in the day that were used as mocking black folk.

like folks are saying overall in this thread: it may offend some-and some may not get offended.

AND I'M OFFENDED AS A BLACK PERSON!!!
to each is own...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gomerriffic
Meet my friend, Mr. Lemmy Lime!

Exsqueeze me?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007 02:38:42 PM »

I have the choice to not look at stuff that would be offensive to me e.g. nudity, profanity etc.. I also have the self control to not look. I would say as a parent, the only thing I can think of that would be considerate, if you're posting crafts like pasties or undies and you're modeling them, post a link instead of embedding the pic. My pc is always in my family room and hubby/son don't want an eyeful ya know?
But keep in mind, there is always a time you can go "too far" in any direction. I'm not one to look at things that makes fun of my faith, but I'm also not going to flame somebody because of it either. I just don't look.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007 02:39:43 PM by Gomerriffic » THIS ROCKS   Logged
talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007 02:57:15 PM »

i understand the various definitions of "primitive" when it comes to art. but it reminds me too much of the black dolls from back in the day that were used as mocking black folk.

like folks are saying overall in this thread: it may offend some-and some may not get offended.

AND I'M OFFENDED AS A BLACK PERSON!!!
to each is own...

I see your point. Thankyou for explaining.

To get back properly on topic (I know, I kind of started it, I'm sorry), if you see something that REALLY upsets you and the crafter hasn't explained themselves well, the best thing to do is probably to PM them and find out what they meant by it. I'd be willing to bet that 99.9% of people here don't want to upset anyone, and would be willing to apologise for causing offence.

There's always the "Report to Moderators" button too. I don't think I'd use that unless the contents of the post were meant to actively spread some sort of hate message, personally, but it's there if anyone feels they need it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007 02:58:13 PM »

I'm just a kid, so if I see a title that says, "Warning offensive" or "mature content" I just don't click on it. Simple as that. But sometimes, I see those posts through the recent posts with pics and one time I got a shot of the pasties swap. Shocked

Are you a fairy-tale kid? Because every damn kid I've ever known are MORE interested by the "mature content" label, than turning away from it ^^

and to offensiveness... Arts and crafts can be offensive, I say give the warning but don't be limited by it. Craftster has always been a very open minded place to me - sometimes people stop focusing on the crafts and that can be bad, but I've always appreciated the wide range of things here.
I really hated seeing all those "dead cat purses" (not actual cats) and stuff that were going around, but I would never want them not to get posted for my sake. As long as no actual animal cruelty is taking place, or honest-to-god "let's murder the muslims" or similar propaganda... I don't think we should cower from it. It just limits us to take things too seriously, and we'd end up getting hysterical about everything.

This doesn't mean I think you should post with the intent to upset people, but if it's work that you're proud of and want to share... give the warning and go for it. Wink Just don't be surprised if you get some grief for it from some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007 03:03:50 PM »

I'm just a kid, so if I see a title that says, "Warning offensive" or "mature content" I just don't click on it. Simple as that. But sometimes, I see those posts through the recent posts with pics and one time I got a shot of the pasties swap. Shocked

Are you a fairy-tale kid? Because every damn kid I've ever known are MORE interested by the "mature content" label, than turning away from it ^^

Cheesy

Well, I steer away from blood and gore crafts, because those kinds of things make me squeamish (I hate scary movies!) and as for private parts, some people find it funny, I don't. I'm very offended by crafts that make fun of people's race and religion.

I guess I'm just very sensitive. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2013 Relish Cooking Show Promo
Fresh Green Bean Recipes
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese Recipe
Shrimp and Grits Recipe
Discover Artisan Kettle-Cooked Popcorn
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...