A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,071
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Offensive crafts?  (Read 5931 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sirensrising
« on: July 10, 2007 08:07:23 AM »

I wasn't sure whether to post here or "Crafter Itself" but I figure this seems to be the place for general craft discussion, so here goes.

What do you do if you make something that, whether you intended it to be or not, could be construed as offensive? I've seen people labelling things that wouldn't even cross my mind with a warning (fuzzy crocheted body parts, things with slightly bad words), but what about things with strong political or moral opinions, or things gently making light of serious situations (for instance, the war, or something)? Do you still just label them as offensive, or do you just not post it at all?

So...what do you think?

ETA: Okay this is mostly Devil's Advocate, but I think it's still interesting: What about things that are obviously offensive, or are meant to be offensive? Like if you were to make tshirts with Muhammed on them or something, or something that is definitely offensive to some people but not to you (or whatever)? Could you just post it with a disclaimer and a warning? Because it's still a craft...That's a bit more extreme I know, but still, I'm interested to hear thoughts.

Edited again to take my own particular example out of it. Some bits of the paragraph are quoted later in the post but I think they should still make sense and there shouldn't be a problem.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007 01:47:29 PM by sirensrising » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007 08:16:13 AM »

It's like once you join craftster a chip in your brain activates, because this is the second time in as many days as a topic that I was thinking about was posted by someone else.  I just put together a little "Congratulations On Your Vasectomy" care package for a friend that I'm kind of proud of, but wasn't sure it was appropriate to post.  Not just because of the topic, but because it's must a gift basket of stuff I collected, nothing I actually made - I only made them into something for that kind of patient by putting them all together. 

I'm not so concerned with offending adults who are legally able to give consent when they decide to look at something marked offensive as not getting into trouble by posting stuff that minors might see or getting minors in trouble, etc. 

Anyway, I'm very interested in what craftsters and moderators alike have to say on this topic.  Is there a difference between "offensive" and "suggestive"?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sirensrising
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007 08:20:28 AM »

It's like once you join craftster a chip in your brain activates, because this is the second time in as many days as a topic that I was thinking about was posted by someone else.  I just put together a little "Congratulations On Your Vasectomy" care package for a friend that I'm kind of proud of, but wasn't sure it was appropriate to post.  Not just because of the topic, but because it's must a gift basket of stuff I collected, nothing I actually made - I only made them into something for that kind of patient by putting them all together. 

I'm not so concerned with offending adults who are legally able to give consent when they decide to look at something marked offensive as not getting into trouble by posting stuff that minors might see or getting minors in trouble, etc. 

Anyway, I'm very interested in what craftsters and moderators alike have to say on this topic.  Is there a difference between "offensive" and "suggestive"?
See, again - it wouldn't even cross my mind that that topic could be offensive. As long as it was labelled as "Congratulations on your Vasectomy!", it wouldn't even need to be labelled as "offensive" in my opinion (maybe just "mature"). I really don't see anything offensive about it. (Which also makes me worry a lot more about the kind of thing I'm thinking of :/)

And I think the brain chip activating is because everybody here really is so lovely and helpful and I hate the idea of offending or upsetting anyone.

Edit because it's annoying me: I misread what you said about the chip, I thought you meant a new sensitivity sensor kicked in or something. Just to clarify what I meant...not that it matters, but, you know  Tongue
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007 08:45:37 AM by sirensrising » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007 08:22:45 AM »

I think no matter what you do, someone somewhere will be offended.  If you're worried about people taking something the wrong way, you could maybe write a little disclaimer explaining you know some people might not feel the way you do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007 09:32:17 AM »

I'm new, I'm not sure how many labeling options there are.  I think "mature" or "suggestive" are good ones in addition to "offensive".  With the Vasectomy thing, it's the fact that all the products in the care package have the words "balls" or "nuts" in them, which some people might find offensive, but that I (and I'm confident, the recipient) think it hilarious given the circumstances.  I'm sure it's a slippery slope, because it could get very tedious having several labels and complicated guidelines for using them and might make this feel like a less inviting community for a lot of people and certainly more difficult to moderate.

I think that an example of "suggestive" are some of the photos of the gorgeous corsets people are making and some photos from the 2006 Halloween Costume thread.  For me, it's your basic -isms that are offensive, racism, sexism, etc., but not everyone is the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007 10:16:04 AM »

I think that generally if it's light-hearted and not intended to offense it's OK, and if you pop in the appropriate disclaimer in the thread title ("WARNING - mature content" or "warning -possibly offensive") and explain yourself in the text of your post, anyone who complains about the content has only themselves to blame for clicking the link.

I think that if you actually do mean it to be offensive or controversial and you *don't* want to kick off a debate, you shouldn't post it. I see that on deviantArt sometimes - people post something which expresses a controversial opinion and wonder why people get all heated over it. I like to think I'm pretty openminded generally but I'm with TheMistressT on the "isms", I think there are some places you just don't go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007 12:19:54 PM »

I am often offended by the color orange, not so much as a color itself but because it is often abused and frequently worn by people who look positively ill while wearing that color..... Cheesy

In all seriousness I think most don't mind a warning about things that might be construed as risque or adult humor but where you really get touchy is religion and politics. IMO far more people can shrug off a dirty joke but make a statement about the bible or the president and you got a fight on your hands.

Most here will not pick fights- but knowing that someone disagrees with you on a subject of religion or politics tends to lead to closing of the door to friendship. Declining to sign up for a swap because they don't want to get paired with the other person, or worse yet stopping visiting all together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sirensrising
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007 12:39:09 PM »

In all seriousness I think most don't mind a warning about things that might be construed as risque or adult humor but where you really get touchy is religion and politics. IMO far more people can shrug off a dirty joke but make a statement about the bible or the president and you got a fight on your hands.

Most here will not pick fights- but knowing that someone disagrees with you on a subject of religion or politics tends to lead to closing of the door to friendship. Declining to sign up for a swap because they don't want to get paired with the other person, or worse yet stopping visiting all together.
This is the kind of thing I mean. I don't really even consider "adult humour" (although I would label it correctly so people know what they're getting into) offensive. It's okay-ish to joke about sex and things like that but politics and religion are far too "serious". Maybe it's because I'm not really affiliated with either that I have no problem with joking about those things (and, for that matter, having any opinions I have about them joked about). But at the same time I don't want to offend someone or make them uncomfortable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My artwork at Etsy!
talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007 01:32:27 PM »

Have you actually known this to happen - that someone has stopped coming back here because they didn't agree with somebody else? Shocked I just find it hard to believe anyone would actually do that, especially if the original poster of the material had warned that it could be offensive and said that it wasn't intended to be taken seriously. It's pretty easy to avoid people you don't want to interact with on a messageboard, or at least to keep your distance from them. Although to me even that seems like a bit of an overreaction, unless their views are incredibly extreme and/or they insist on ramming them down your throat in EVERY post they make, which most people don't. I think most people can agree to disagree, especially over touchy subjects, and are smart enough to recognise that other people are as entitled to an opinion as they are.

Am I putting too much faith in the human race here? Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007 01:35:33 PM »

I'm just a kid, so if I see a title that says, "Warning offensive" or "mature content" I just don't click on it. Simple as that. But sometimes, I see those posts through the recent posts with pics and one time I got a shot of the pasties swap. Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...