A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,821
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can someone help me?  (Read 527 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 10, 2007 07:59:33 AM »

I made a blanket for my sister-in-law's baby and have some left over yarn so I was thinking of making her a matching hat. Obviously I can't measure her head, but I do have a pretty good idea of what the size of the hat should be so it will fit her in a couple of months when it starts getting cooler.  I want the hat to be a little flexible so it can stretch a little to fit her head. Here is my dilemma. I crochet really tightly and my first attempt had no give at all and seemed like it would be difficult getting onto a squirming baby's head. So is there something I can do to make the hat more "stretchy" (can't think of a better word)? Would increasing the hook size work or would that just make it bigger?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007 08:01:02 AM by KTLynn8383 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Being surly is my superpower.

Yeah yeah, blah-dey blah blah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007 08:15:32 AM »

I was just reading The Happy Hooker, where she says that much of the time people who crochet tightly are only letting the yarn loop go as far as the neck of the hook (the space right behind the hook itself) when it's supposed to go on the shaft (the fattest part right in front of where you hold it). Try letting the yarn loop go farther up the hook before you pull another loop through or go up a hook size. Hope that helps.

Of course tattoos hurt...they're applied with needles, not kitten whiskers and bunny tails.
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007 09:46:38 AM »

I would try going up a few hook sizes. An idea that I saw to make a hat is to use a ballon. Blow it up to the size of baby's head and make sure your stitches strech around it suficiently.
Babies grow fast so I'd say bigger is probably ok but too small would be an issue.
you can also try crocheting a long strip back and forth. the peice needs to be long enough to go around the babys head. Stop crocheting when it's tall enough to cover the babys head then sew the sides together and gather the top. Crochet tends to strech most top to bottom( depending on yarn.) So that might help make it more strechy even when you crochet tightly. Smiley
OMG! I should So make that

If I've offended you'll have to get over it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007 07:35:01 AM »

theres a standard chart for sizing for a babies head given by ages.
What stitch were you using? If you start from top down, doing a basic circle to start and joining then working down a DC or HDC may give more elasticity to the finished piece then say a sc which doesn't always have much give in some hat patterns.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007 02:43:05 PM »

bigger hook. That's the only way I've able to affect my gauge.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Clean Hairbrushes
How to Use Bobby Pins
How to Use Hairpins
How to Make a Buttermilk Mask for Healthy Hair
How to Make a Banana Hair Mask to Combat Frizz
Latest Blog Articles
The Legacy of Bob Ross
Meatless Monday: Spinach Feta Breakfast Quiche
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Asymmetric Cowl

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...