A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how in the world does one sew with sequins?!  (Read 2739 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hdoglovesyou

oh so calculated

View Profile WWW
« on: November 26, 2004 07:16:39 PM »

ok i have always been in love with sequins, and i've been dying to make a pair of sequin shoes. (i dont know if anyone gets taht alloy catalog... but there's a pair in there that i want worse than any other pair of shoes i've ever wanted) anyway! i saw this bag on urban outfitter's website and i was like OMG *spark* i totally need a bag made of sequins. the problem is, i don't have the slightest idea how to sew with sequins. if i were to make a bag liek this:

<This image is no longer available>

how would i go about sewing on the sequins?!?!

i know you can buy sequins on strands because i've done that, but how to you sew them on as a whole? the only efficient thing i can think of doing is using my slave, my hot glue gun. but i'd rather not get glue all over the place.

any ideas  would be greatly appreciated! and when i go about making this bag, i PROMISE i'll post pictures and a little 'how i did it' tutorial type thing. thanks in advace!!! <3
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010 04:50:11 PM by Aislynn - Reason: Edited to remove broken image link. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fashion is feeding us IDENTIFICATION
<3heather
amour createur
bullocks and rhinestones

whiskey and pie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004 07:46:38 PM »

tediousness  ewey-gooy 
i think that you should buy the strands of sequins and handstitch between them, at least between every fifth to tenth sequine on the strand.  i would go across, then down, and back the opposite way (kinda like knitting) i would use a fine-yet-sturdy thread and a long thin needle.
its gonna take forever. 
i am sure there is a machine that can do it, but i think that it could cost big-ol-bucks.
if you figure out a better way,other than hot-glue (which is messy but i love it)- let me know cause i too love the sparkles!
good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everyone enjoys a good sharpie
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004 07:57:38 PM »

you can also get some seed beads, string the thread through the sequin, then through a seed bead, then loop around the seed bead and back through the sequin, does that make sense? It keeps the sequins nice and tight on there. If you have trouble understanding it, i'll try to explain better....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
amour createur
bullocks and rhinestones

whiskey and pie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004 08:02:58 PM »

lil'one is right!  i totally forgot about those seed beads.  one more step in the ever-difficult sequining!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amour createur
bullocks and rhinestones

whiskey and pie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004 08:12:51 PM »

ok last thing.
if you search for "attaching sequin strands (or strings?)" there is a suggestion that you CAN do it on a sewing machine.  she recommended zig-zag sttches and a lot of patience.  also you can buy a foot that attaches and it looks sooo much easier.  personally, i am going to look into buying one myself!  sparkles forever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hdoglovesyou

oh so calculated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004 08:30:50 PM »

OMG! that is a great idea, i'll have to try that! zig-zig. so simple, yet BRILLIANT! although my machine is a hater of the zig-zag if the settings aren't absolutely perfect. but who gives a hoot if i skip a stitch here and there. it just matters that most of the sequins are held on. and it will look fiiine!!

i'll buy like 6 yards of sequins and then a really long zipper. because this is all planned out in my brain. wish me luck! AND TOTALLY ! i have to look into that foot attatchment! would you have any idea of what its called so i don't walk into my sewing store like "um i'm not sure what i'm doing but i need a foot for sequins" and the woman there will just look at me like i'm asking for a baseball bat or something.  hahaha

WOOOH! now i'm so pumped thanks for all the ideas! keep 'em coming! my mom promised me a jo-ann trip soon, so i'm hoping its this weekend! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fashion is feeding us IDENTIFICATION
<3heather
amour createur
bullocks and rhinestones

whiskey and pie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004 11:40:26 PM »

this is what i just ordered:  (i got the tip off another craftster's tip, i didnt find it myself)

http://www.nancysnotions.com/Nancys/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=245&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D42%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2CPresser%20Feet&Gift=False&mscssid=01E6B1C8B9F3A4ACB9FF7B8EE4DFA5BC

i hope this link is righto.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noelle
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004 11:25:03 AM »

the only efficient thing i can think of doing is using my slave, my hot glue gun. but i'd rather not get glue all over the place.

i'm working with one of those strands for a xmas present purse.. and i'm feeling lazy.

how bad IS it to use hot glue?
has anyone used it for this?

specifically, i'd like to know if it holds well, is flexible, or as messy as you say?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noelle
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004 12:00:46 PM »

thanks for the info, LostCove..
but i'm actually asking about glueing.

trying to avoid the whole machine-stitching sequin fiasco.
will hot-glueing a strand on a purse hold up to use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004 03:44:36 AM »

I used the sequins on the string and attached using a zig-zag stitch set to the widest setting and longest stitch. The sequins get caught on the foot.
A-ha! It was you who helped me out in my sequin string thread! thanks!!

I used the widest zigzag stitch on my machine with invisible top thread. My widest setting was still about narrower than the sequins, so the needle did pierce the sequins at intervals, which may not be ideal for what you're doing but it was WAY faster than handsewing and feels much better than hotglue.

Funny, I didn't have any problems whatsoever with the sequins catching on the presser foot. I think the trick is the make sure your sew WITH the "grain" of the sequins, and not against it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fehr Trade - custom clothing
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Diamond Cable Stitch Part 8/9
How to Crochet a Dish Cloth Part 1/9
How to Crochet a Diamond Cable Stitch Part 7/9
How to Crochet a Diamond Cable Stitch Part 6/9
How to Crochet a Cross Cable Pattern Part 1/4
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...