A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,072
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super Mario Chicken Utopia (image crazy)  (Read 4695 times)
Tags for this thread: super_mario , nintendo , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Garnet Bear
your brain is the one with a shell on it

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2007 01:06:39 AM »

After losing four of my beloved chickens to an attack from the neighbor's dog, and then another to a raccoon brought in by the smell of injured birds, something had to be done.  My husband, best friend, and I spent a day in the sun building this place for my little friends to be safe and sound in.  Of course, I couldn't allow them to live in a plain abode, so with the help of my trusty box of acrylics, I solved that problem. 
The nest boxes are a 15" by 15" plastic planter boxes we got at Lowe's, and then added the face board on the front.  It helps the chickens to feel more "nesty" and it also keeps the eggs in the box!  They seem to like that astro turf in there, the hens seem to need to kick and scratch and dig with their little feets before settling in to lay eggs.  It's also a little insulating, and easy to clean.
We mounted the boxes on simple shelves just about 2 feet off the ground (chickens like elevation).  It will keep them dry, and I also put a 1"X1" strip of wood along the tops of the boxes, so they have somewhere to roost at night.  The doghouse sort of apparatus is made of plywood, and has an additional nesting box inside for the discriminating hen.  The white hen (Raptor) seems to like spending the most time in there.  Unfortunately, the only birds actually -laying- eggs are the two smallest, the little banty cochins (feathery feet, big round poofy tails)!  Their eggs are crazy rich and delicious though, so I'm not complaining.

Black sexlink is The Captain (from Aqua Teen Hunger Force "tar monster" episode, "the captain's feeling a little sexy, who wants to come up here and feel sexy with the captian?"), the buff orpington is Big O.  Good shot of their dust bath area, The Captain loves to roll around and get all dusty in the cool dirt.  There used to be an ant hill located there, but the chickens were all up on the ant genocide, so they're all eaten and gone.

Little Girl (banty cochin) standing in front of the chicken house.  It looks like she laid a mushroom!  Also, chain chomp.  She's by far the most curious of our birds, and lays the tiniest little eggs!  Her black iridescent feathers are gorgeous.

This is Mama.  She's one of the smallest birds in our flock, but she's absolutely the top hen on the totem pole.  She's a banty cochin/rhode island red mix, has extra toes, and is full of personality.  You can see three of the nest boxes (there are a total of seven in the coop, although we really only need one per four or five chickens).  Her nest box is the Shy Guy one.

The Super Mario house!  I pulled some of my favorite enemies from the earlier games, I was all about Mouser when I was little.  There are also little chicken totem poles on here, with little cartoon versions of my real-life birds (minus one who was killed by the dog).  They like to go in here and be cool when it's sunny out, there's nice dirt to dig and scratch around in.  They also like the raised doorway, so they can feel more secluded and private.

My favorite chicken, the rhode island red is Uno.  She was left with one tail feather after the dog attack, and she and I bonded while I was nursing her back to health.  The black and white one is Darles Chickens, and is a silver laced wyandotte.  They like the big weave on the chain link fence, they can peek through and nibble at the fresh grass growing outside of the coop.  Both of these chickens are just a couple of months old, they haven't filled out or gotten fat like my older hens.  They should start laying eggs within the next month or two.

Close-up shot of one of the nest boxes, before I put the astro turf in.  I used rub-on letters for the monster names.  I chose to attach the face plate with wingnuts so I could take the boxes apart easily for cleaning.  Everything is modular, so I can change and move stuff as needed.

Full view of the new chicken coop.  We used our old dog run (dogs are WAY too big for it now) and then topped it with a narrow weave plastic mesh.  The only predators we really have to worry about around here are raccoons, other dogs, maybe raptors, and maybe possums, so we didn't need a narrower weave on the walls to keep out weasels or snakes.  The chickens spend their day out in the yard, and then go into the coop at night to sleep safely.  That lawn chair set up is so I can sit and watch my chickens.  It's amazingly relaxing, believe it or not!  They're just the funniest little animals.

Mama lording over her territory.  Good view of the nest boxes all lined up, as well as their water bottle.  We mounted the feeder under the shelves, so it's out of the rain and the chickens can't poop on it.  They really don't discriminate when it comes to relieving themselves. Smiley  Cameo of Uno's butt in the lower right corner of the picture, you can see how her feathers are growing back.

I'm glad my chickens are so happy in their new home.  They're safe and secure and are getting spoiled daily with lots of fresh produce and even the occasional treat of nightcrawlers bought from the local fishing supply shop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for trades! my ATC gallery

Garnet Bear Crafts on Etsy this-a-way
quillian91
Maniac with Hot Glue...

Craftster: Where Tacky is Tasteful.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007 01:20:59 AM »

Very sweet! I love the mario theme!!! Your painting skills are really great! And, of course, your Chickens are adorable!

My neighbor has like, 14 chickens, and they just let theme roam the yard. However, they always come over to my house, for some reason. Every morning I wake up and look out the window to see a flock of chickens on my porch. THey really are the funniest little creatures ever. The way they run (More like waddle, really) is so cute!!!

Cheesy

You have very lucky Chickens!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hazzard, Approach with caution! Especially if I am holding a Hot Glue gun!
http://www.wists.com/quillian91
katiebread
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007 05:11:28 AM »

I, too, long for a Mario-themed chicken utopia!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mienna
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007 05:57:24 AM »

Very cool Mario theme. I'm sorry to hear about your chickens and the neighbors dog, though. Sad They certainly look safe and sound now, and very, very pampered. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

linbtl
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007 11:16:27 AM »

I love it! I wish I had chickens if only to build them cool digs like this! Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my artsy-craftsy blog:
http://linbtl.livejournal.com/
raspberryred615
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007 08:12:58 AM »

thats amazing, wow
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Garnet Bear
your brain is the one with a shell on it

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007 02:46:41 PM »

Man, if any of you are ever in the position to own chickens you should go for it.  They are just the most fun pets I've ever owned.  And it's not like dogs or cats lay eggs to help pay back what it costs to keep them. Wink
Everyone's out in the yard hiding in the shade.  I filled all of their water stations with ice, so hopefully that'll help keep them cooled down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for trades! my ATC gallery

Garnet Bear Crafts on Etsy this-a-way
Punk Roctopus

Dork In Progress...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007 11:33:01 AM »

those are some lucky chickens being so loved and spoiled. i love what you've done. and Darles Chickens is the best name ever!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftgrease

Pillow dancing is my sport.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007 03:54:42 PM »

So cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cortney!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007 05:13:28 PM »

Thats an excellent idea to use plastic planters for nests!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

more intensity!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Healthy Hair Makeover
How to Repair Chlorine Damaged Hair
Hair Makeover Tips
Hot Long Hairstyles for Fall 2010
How to Update a Side Braid Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...