A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Seed beads and plastic canvas (with tute)  (Read 9779 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

My Perty Thangs......If the green light is on, I am home!!

MONSTER good luck coming my way!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 10, 2007 12:56:28 AM »

Here are some stick barrettes, my favorite pattern ever for making these "ugly rubberband ponytail hiders"  Wink

I love how this canvas is perfect with seed beads.
If you can cross stitch you can do these for sure, if not, I still think you can!!
I needed to bead another hat for Girl Scouts so pattern in pics will be different, but the technique is the same!

Materials needed:

Bead plastic canvas
seed beads (I keep beads separated in a pill wheel)
dental floss
bead needle
(felt for backing if doing barrettes)
pattern (any square or cross stitch pattern can be used, as long as
           no back stitching)
small sissors (the pointier the better)

Keep stitches going the same way by stitching similar to cross stitching.  I start at bottom left corner hole coming out from back to front, pick up bead and needle back thru top right hole.  Your stitches will look like this / / / / corner to corner. (half cross stitches) How you work this is up to you, but I either go up and down or side to side with my rows of beads making sure the stitches are still going the same way throughout!

See how I mark the rows as I go on the pattern?

When I have a run of one color beads in pattern, I like to load my needle with amount needed, and have them between my thumb and pointer finger and hold there as I stitch, saves time digging those seeds out one by one with my long needle.  I work up and down rows.

For irregular shaped things like this, I like to finish beading then cut out.  I cut from hole to hole making sure not to cut any stitches.

All cut out, see the raw edges??  Take your beadwork and hold it over a garbage pail and cut to make cleaner edges.  See the difference below finished all neat and tidy:

Now we need to "frame" this.  See all the holes around edges showing?  (they are already stitched in, but with no neighbor bead stitched they are semi empty??)  You come out any of them with needle and string three beads from hole to hole.  If it gets crowded around corners, skip holes as needed.  It should look something like this when finished:

When doing the barrettes, in pattern, I included a hole large enough for the stick of choice will fit.  You will cut this hole in the plastic canvas and keep unbeaded!  AND when doing the "framing" (the last row around with 3 seed beads hole to hole) for the barrettes, I cut to size the backing felt and stitch the last row and backing at same time (two birds with one stone kind of thing).  Wink

I did this same technique for my "Reflection" purse,http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=160839.0 and tacked it to an already made cotton canvas purse and did Right Angle Weave stitch around that with size E beads.
Well, what do you think?  Easy enough?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007 12:21:55 PM by beadizzygrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina
I am not obsessed with Perty Thangs, I am disciplined...

I have alot to share, all you gotta do is ask.

Crochet, x-stitch, Ribbon embroidery, plastic canvas, beadwork, polymer clay, wire work, and now TATTING!!  Please help me learn to knit, then I might be complete.
xx_Kellybean
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007 05:22:01 AM »

Wow. That looks time consuming. How long do one of those take you to make? Regardless, they are very well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007 05:24:27 AM »

Love this idea, and its versatility. Thank you for sharing how it is done.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misplacedhippie
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007 05:30:22 AM »

Where do you get the special plastic?  The only plastic canvas I have access to would work with pony beads, That however would have to be huge to do anything that lovely.  I have been a Scout for the last 20 years and am absolutely loving your beaded project.  What are the dimentions of the finished project? What did you use it for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007 06:44:26 AM »

These are beautiful Gina! Makes me wish I didn't get scalped recently!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007 08:59:29 AM »

You are beading queen girl!!! Those are absolutely beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007 09:00:21 AM »

*this is really cool.  how do u make the design for the canvas?*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007 12:19:01 PM »

Wow. That looks time consuming. How long do one of those take you to make? Regardless, they are very well done!
I can get one of these done in one day.  Maybe 5 hrs?  The GS troop was 11 and 12 yr olds, they made them in a FEW meetings (2 meetings a month) and was very proud of themselves when finished! 
Where do you get the special plastic?  The only plastic canvas I have access to would work with pony beads, That however would have to be huge to do anything that lovely.  I have been a Scout for the last 20 years and am absolutely loving your beaded project.  What are the dimentions of the finished project? What did you use it for?
I find the plastic canvas with the larger plastic canvas at my area craft stores: Ben Franklins and Hobby Lobby.  The finished measurement of the Trefoils are about 2 1/2" x 2 1/2".  We tacked them to hats like here:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=112026.0
*this is really cool.  how do u make the design for the canvas?*
I am so glad you asked, I use a bead program invented by Leah (that is how I found this wonderful place!) called beadesigner 1.0.  Leah helped me teach myself everything I know about beading!!  I think I would go nuts if not for that program!!  I see life in graphs now.  Wink

Thank you everyone for your kind compliments!! Grin
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007 12:23:24 PM by beadizzygrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina

Crochet, x-stitch, Ribbon embroidery, plastic canvas, beadwork, polymer clay, wire work, and now TATTING!!  Please help me learn to knit, then I might be complete.
beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007 12:50:20 PM »

These are beautiful Gina! Makes me wish I didn't get scalped recently!!
Well Kaleesi, we are gonna have to bead you a hat then!!!!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina

Tallbabydoll
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007 01:30:54 PM »

TYVM for posting this.  I've been wondering how this was done ever since I saw your "Reflections" post.  Which I am still in awe about by the way Wink.  I dont know who to X stitch, but now I guess I'm gonna have to learn.  I'm expecting my first bead order from Fire Mountain to arrive tomorrow (I've been getting my beads at Wally World and Jo Annes) which includes some seed beads.  (Wishing I would've ordered some more colors now  Cheesy.  I'm so excited!  I can't wait for them to arrive, it's been almost a week since I ordered and I'm going nuts lol.

I'm wondering if you couldn't use regular graph paper and markers to make designs?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kim Kardashian to Release Weight Loss Book
Best & Worst Beauty
Best & Worst Beauty
DIY Highlighter For The Face
Zombie + Taylor Swift = Best Halloween Costume Ever
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...