i'm leaving for a trip this weekend, and amidst all the other sewing i need to do before i go, i decided that i really needed some sort of a carry on for the airplan, and a bag to hold my craft supplies in the car (i'm driving there, then flying back). i totally didn't have time for it, but i couldn't get it out of my head!
so i made it anyway. i think it took me between 3 and 4 hours, but that includes making up the pattern, making the stencils for the applique (i make stencils of the pieces to trace around), searching for a zipper, sewing it all together, etc.
i looked up the size requirements for a carry on bag and they were actually bigger than i expected!
the maximum size for air canada and for west jet (i only bothered to check two airlines) was 21.5" x 9" x 15.5"
my bag ended up being 21" x 8" x 15.5"
if they try to say it's too big i'm SO gonna haul out my measuring tape!
the bag is made out of upholstery weight vinyl, and i added red "fake" piping around the edges (fake as in there's no actual cording inside it!)
the bag is very floppy with nothing in it! i didn't line it, because i'm lazy, and because i didn't really have time to make it in the first place, much less fiddle with the lining! there's a piece of sturdy plastic cut to size in the bottom though. (i found these sheets of plastic at dollarama that are supposed to be "art surfaces" to glue and paint on for easy cleanup. i have one i use for gluing, then i bought 5 more! i keep finding other uses for them!)
and i just realized how dirty my newly cleaned mirror looks. hmm...
the applique is the same basic idea as the cherry wristlet i posted earlier. not exactly the same, since i redrew it instead of resizing it, but basically. the cherry design is on the front pocket of the bag. i sewed down the pocket on each side to add two thin little pockets to hold pens and stuff and to keep the pocket from flopping open.
the top of the bag. i cut strips of vinyl slightly narrower than the strapping material and sewed them on, because i thought the vinyl might be annoyingly sticky on hot days if i'm wearing a tank top, and to add strength, given the hugeness of the bag! i ended up using a separating zipper, cause that's what i had in my stash at 10 o'clock at night. plus, i adore zippers with rings on the end!
said ring on the end of the zipper pull. i added a leaf, just to add a bit more of the green elsewhere on the bag. you can also see the loop with rings i added on both sides of the bag so that i can add a longer strap later if i want. d-rings would have been better, but again, 10 o'clock at night! i was too impatient to wait to buy some.
this bag totally isn't up to my usual sewing standards, cause it was just for me, and it was a new pattern that required a bit of fudging, but i'm still pretty impressed with it. and it's so huge, think of how much yarn i can take on the plane!!!
also, i'm totally high maintenance, so it might actually fit all my "necessities" for a weekend trip (as long as i wear the heaviest shoes!).
i hope you like it!