A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tips for taut fabrics?  (Read 533 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sirensrising
« on: July 09, 2007 11:43:17 AM »

I have a 5 inch(ish) plastic embroidery hoop, and I just can't seem to get my fabric properly taut in it! I don't want to pull the fabric because I know it will only stretch and distort (or even if I try, it just pops out of the hoop) but I don't think it's nicely stretched enough to start embroidering...I'm a total novice (as in, I just got my stitch-it kit today and can't even set up the hoop properly Tongue) so is there something really obvious I'm missing? (and if there is, could you help without laughing at my dorky inability?  Cheesy)

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
Flia
Purple butterfly

Yarn, pearls, thread, pearls, yarn, yarn, yarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007 02:51:23 PM »

I have a 5 inch(ish) plastic embroidery hoop, and I just can't seem to get my fabric properly taut in it! I don't want to pull the fabric because I know it will only stretch and distort (or even if I try, it just pops out of the hoop) but I don't think it's nicely stretched enough to start embroidering...I'm a total novice (as in, I just got my stitch-it kit today and can't even set up the hoop properly Tongue) so is there something really obvious I'm missing? (and if there is, could you help without laughing at my dorky inability?  Cheesy)

Thanks!

Some like it stretched hard and some like it looser. The fabric will be distorted anyway with a hoop, that will be fixed later when you block your work. I usually stretch it now and then as I go along (I like it stretched very hard).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Staunch Throwback
Baffling the world for decades

I was much older in my 20's...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007 03:32:11 PM »

If you can't get your fabric properly taut your hoop might be the problem. I'm partial to wooden ones that have a little screw to adjust the outer ring. It accommodates various thicknesses of fabrics a little better. You can get them anywhere and they're cheap. As for distorting your fabric, unless you're working with something stretchy you don't have to worry about that too much.

Good luck, and be patient with yourself. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pam
sirensrising
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007 03:36:38 PM »

I was thinking that might be it too, and that a wooden one might be a bit better and stronger. Thank you  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
Caclark4
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007 04:11:40 AM »

I agree with the it could be your hoop suggestion.  I have a series of spring hoops that are absolutely divine (over 10 years old and they still hold better than anything else I've seen).  Also, I have found that my fabric is much more taut if I lay the fabric on a hard surface like the dining room table or floor when I set the hoop.  Everytime I get lazy and do it on the couch, my fabric has too much give.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That which does not kill you makes you funnier-Joseph Fiennes
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Demon Face Warp in After Effects
How to Transform Day to Night in After Effects
3DS Max 9 - Importing Poser Models to 3DS Max P.1
3DS Max 9 - Importing Poser Models to 3DS Max P.2
3DS Max 9 - Importing Poser Models to 3DS Max P.3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...