A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,159
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycle/Make Your Own Paper (with Tutorial and Insane Amount of Pics)  (Read 46182 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007 , papermaking , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

enakitty
« on: July 09, 2007 10:52:29 AM »

This is my first tutorial, so please don't be too harsh in your replies! Smiley
I like trying new crafts, but am not always able to invest in all the supplies....so this is a groovy way to make paper with stuff you probably have on hand (or can acquire for next to nothing)

1. gather supplies:
blender, paper (i use junk mail, old grocery lists, etc), embroidery hoop, bit of lace (or cheesecloth, etc), old towels (for blotting) and a dish to put your paper pulp into
2. soak torn up bits of paper in water overnight (you can add food coloring to water if you want)
3. after soaking blend up your paper and water (use approximately 2/3 water and 1/3 paper....or maybe 3/4 water 1/4 paper....you really want it pretty watery)
4. pour this pulpy mess into a dish large enough to dip your embroidery hoop into
5. put the lace into your embroidery hoop and dip it into the pulpy water (dip it in like you're panning for gold)
6. lift it out (lift it straight up) and put your hoop on your towel
7. gently remove the hoop (your paper should be facing up)
8. blot your paper with another towel (get as much water out as possible but be gentle)
9. pick up your lace and put it (with paper face down) onto whatever surface you want your paper to dry on (i put it onto a paper towel
10. let dry....or to speed up drying: put between a couple paper towels and dry iron it

NOTES:
*it's fun to add bits of thread and flowers and seeds, etc
*while your paper is drying you could lay it over an overturned bowl and it will dry into a bowl shape

***if you have any questions i'll be happy to answer them!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WitchCatXeen

life's a joke, so make fun of it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007 11:01:48 AM »

Sweet! Thanks for the clear tutorial.  I've been wanting to make my own paper for ages but I'm trying to figure out a blender alternative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chucklikesart
RADTASTIC!

Cross my heart and kiss my elbow.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007 11:04:44 AM »

Beautiful!

I did this in art class in middelschool! We made masks and bowls and such. It's great to see a craft like that getting such a beautiful spin put on it. I love the thread mixed in with the paper. GORGEOUS!
Oh, and teabag love! Twinnings is a favorite of mine Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lydia the Strange
Supreme Enabler

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007 11:11:18 AM »

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this with us. I cannot wait to try this out with my girls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hobbledehoy

The Hobbledehoy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007 01:39:26 PM »

What a terrific tutorial!  Thanks!  I really like the circle shape that the hoop creates  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the shop:
http://hobbledehoy.etsy.com
the blog:
http://elizabeth-stottlemyer.blogspot.com
twitter along:
http://www.twitter.com/hobbledehoy

I'm generally open for fiber swaps!  PM me Cheesy
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007 01:58:11 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial! Seems super-fun! I love how you added the thread in it too. I'm not too sure though if my mom's okay with me putting paper in the blender. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
CheetahChiq78
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007 02:06:24 PM »

I was actually going to ask about the paper-in-the-blender thing. Would it damage or cause any problems if I was to do it in the blender I use for actual food? I'd obviously wash it afterwards, and as it comes totally apart, it's not like there'd be stray/random bits of paper in there...So would it really be bad if I did that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless in facing them. Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain, but for the heart to conquer it. Let me not look for allies in life's battlefield but to my own strength.
enakitty
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007 03:12:08 PM »

"I was actually going to ask about the paper-in-the-blender thing. Would it damage or cause any problems if I was to do it in the blender I use for actual food? "

i use the same blender i use for makin' my smoothies....i haven't noticed any difference in the perfermance of my blender....but i don't make TONS of paper with it either...personally i don't have a problem with it cuz i just wash it after (and besides-its' just paper!)....i think ideally i'd like a separate "paper blender"...and if i see one at a thrift store or something i will pick it up....but until then, i just use my regular smoothie blender! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CheetahChiq78
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007 03:29:59 PM »

Awesome! I didn't think it would be a problem, but wanted to make sure, ya know?  Roll Eyes

Thanks for such a great idea/tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless in facing them. Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain, but for the heart to conquer it. Let me not look for allies in life's battlefield but to my own strength.
aphie
Botticelli Babe

No narrow-hipped nymphet, I'm a Botticelli Babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007 05:59:45 PM »

YOU are teh awesome.  Grin
I never even thought of using an embroidery hoop!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Craft Blog }
I do personal swaps - PM me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating Guides Using the Line Tool
Adobe Illustrator CS2 - How to Open Files from Bridge
Macromedia Flash 8 - Adding Transparency to a Gradient
Macromedia Flash 8 - Choosing a Gradient Overflow
Macromedia Flash 8 - Saving and Locking Gradients
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...