A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: scrap yarn projects? or what the hell can i do with my stash?  (Read 3613 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cbradio
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2004 07:50:21 AM »

I have a big problem with buying yarn because it's pretty but not ever using it all.  I also have a lot left over from other projects.  I'm running out of room for all the yarn.  My other problem is that I'm trying to save money (I'm going back to school in the fall) and I want to limit the amount of new yarn I'm buying, satisfying my urge to knit only with the existing stash i have.  

Recently, I've been using my half used balls of yarn to knit baby hats.  So many of my friends and coworkers are having babies and these small hats only take an hour or two to complete and the parents love them.

I've also been thinking about kntting hats for the homeless.  There are a few regulars that hang out near the hospital I work at and with it being so cold out they proabbaly really need a little extra warmth.  I don't know of any knitting projects for patients at my hospital, although I've been keeping my ear out.  

Another place to donate projects to would be a local women's shelter or rape crisis center.  Sexual assult victims often have their clothes taken from them at the hospital as evidence, but hospitals usually don't have much more than scrubs to send them home in.  I know that the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center accepts donations of clothes (and I'm sure scarves, hats, sweaters, or socks) to give to women as they leave the hospital.

So that's my list of things to do with left over yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When God made the arse, he didn't say, 'Hey, it's just your basic hinge, let's knock off early.' He said, 'Behold ye angels, I have created the arse. Throughout the ages to come, men and women shall grab hold of these, and shout my name!
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2004 08:05:00 AM »

kntting hats for the homeless...Another place to donate projects to would be a local women's shelter or rape crisis center.  
[/color]
these are great ideas cbradio.
what do you craftsters think about doing something like this on a larger scale?  i think getcrafty did something similar...anyone have more ideas/input?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cbradio
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2004 11:15:38 AM »

Yes, I think get crafty did a scarf or hat drive and it was successful.  I don't know if people would want to donate items to a specific charity or one in their area.  I live in Boston, and BARC came to mind because my roommate does legal work with them, and I know of a few other shelters in the area like Rosie's place or the pine street inn, but knitters in other areas may have other groups in mind.  It would be cool to get people across craftster involved in making clothes, hats, blankets, or whatever to donate to aid organizations in their area.

I'm meeting with my knitting group tonight (okay, it's really just me and my friends knitting and drinking together but whatever) and will brainstorm some ideas.

CB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When God made the arse, he didn't say, 'Hey, it's just your basic hinge, let's knock off early.' He said, 'Behold ye angels, I have created the arse. Throughout the ages to come, men and women shall grab hold of these, and shout my name!
craftology

I'm a knitting kitten!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2004 11:54:42 AM »

I'm on the humane society list.  They accept yarn donations or you can knit mini 10" x 10" blankets for kitties and puppies in cages, they need that kind of stuff too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cbradio
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2004 12:33:44 PM »

that's cool.  I should make a blanket for my cat too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluehairedmary

Craft or Be Crafted!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2004 09:11:44 PM »

Doesn't every knitter have this problem?  I love the blanket/afghan idea, though!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babyjoy726
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2004 11:07:21 PM »

these are all such great ideas!  i was looking on the nyc craigslist and there have been postings for animal shelters... i'm going to see if i can bring some of my things there.  i also have a TON of hats that i've made that have no homes, but i think some of them are too thin for this horrible weather ny's been having.  has anyone tried to line their hats with fleece or flannel or something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- fortune cookie of the week -
"do not let great ambitions overshadow small success"
lucky numbers:  7, 19, 22, 25, 27, 33
gloriana
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2004 04:11:35 PM »

There's a cool pattern in the book "Weekend Knitting" by Melanie Falick designed to help you use up some of your stash.  It's called "Felted Stash Accessories Bag" and it's a cute striped bag that you knit from various odds and ends and then felt.  It's supposed to be about 10" wide by 6" high when done, but theoretically you could make any size you want.  As long as the yarns are around the same gauge it should work.

Also, I'm an eBay junkie and I often will sell random balls of leftover yarn in lots - people buy them, esp. if they're nice yarns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
useratl
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2005 11:27:00 PM »

Michaels is involved with:

http://www.warmupamerica.com/join.html

Some have a box you can drop off squares

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/caps.html

You could also hit your local library(s), find some books, and practice on some stitches systematically through the book . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write in Graffiti Style
How to Start a Cross Stitch Pattern
How to Master Stick Figures
How to Draw a Pirate Ship
How to Sketch Out a Manga Couple
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...