A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
803 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: scrap yarn projects? or what the hell can i do with my stash?  (Read 3600 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

babyjoy726
« on: January 20, 2004 10:11:22 PM »

i've come to the point where i'm looking at the mountain of yarn that has become my stash and saying "what have i done?"  i've totally become one of those people where new yarn = temporary happiness... because i buy the yarn with specific projects in mind, and then something comes up and i put those projects down, and then next thing you know it's a year later and i'm still buying yarn.  so now, the questions are:

1) what do i do with all of those smaller piles of yarn left over from other projects, and

2) any ideas on how i could get rid of yarn i don't use?  like, i've heard of yarn-trades and i saw on someone's blog that they get a package of yarn in the mail and they swap two or three skeins from the box with something they don't want, yadda yadda...  does this really happen?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- fortune cookie of the week -
"do not let great ambitions overshadow small success"
lucky numbers:  7, 19, 22, 25, 27, 33
Midtowner

Where did I put that needle/bead/yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004 06:25:21 AM »

I belong to a Stitch n' Bitch group, and we tend to offer up yarn for the taking when we don't want the leftovers.  I personally don't know of any online swapping sites, but I've heard rumors of them as well.  

But to answer question #1:  

One option is to do a Scrap Throw Blanket or Scrap Scarf.  You can either knit these all as one piece or make pieces, (say 4'' x 4 '') and put them together later.  

I don't know if you have seen the Yarn Girls Guide to Simple Knits book.  They have a throw that is basically knit on large needles with 1 row of a yarn at a time.  You don't knit in or finish the ends - you just tie the ends together at regular intervals to make fringe.  Their example used a lot of fancy novelty yarn, but I think any yarns that look good together would do.

You could also make a scarf with the same method of the throw.  Just knit it longways so that the stripes are going from end to end, instead of across the scarf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lobsteriffic

it's hip to be square

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004 07:13:57 AM »

There's a community on livejournal called <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/community/knitswap" target="new">knitswap</a>.  

But I have the same stash problem as you.  I inherited a bunch of yarn from my grandma, and it's all 70's acrylic.  I figure I'll knit up some hats (i don't wear hats so give them to charity?), make armwarmers, wrist warmers, other than that I have no idea.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LAWebChick

Death came on silver booties

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004 07:18:00 AM »

One option is to do a Scrap Throw Blanket or Scrap Scarf.  You can either knit these all as one piece or make pieces, (say 4'' x 4 '') and put them together later.  

I just learned to knit, but knowing my tendency to drop projects that take too long, I decided to make a comforter out of many many squares... I get the fun of buying just one skein/ball of the yarns I like - they're all over the board: fun fur, chenille, new wool, whatever catches my fancy. I can do just one square at a sitting (mine are 7 x 7"), or several, but each one is completed quickly so I don't get bored before I'm done and I can move on to a different yarn.  Also great for practicing funky stitch patterns that I want to learn.

Mine's all one color theme (ocean-y). I'm sure it'll take a while, but that's fine, since there's no pressure on myself, plus I'm using up the leftovers from my first (scarf!) projects.

Seems like a great use-up-your-stash project, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tivasmom

Big!Meaty!Claws!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004 10:25:18 AM »

There's a community on livejournal called <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/community/knitswap" target="new">knitswap</a>.  

But I have the same stash problem as you.  I inherited a bunch of yarn from my grandma, and it's all 70's acrylic.  I figure I'll knit up some hats (i don't wear hats so give them to charity?), make armwarmers, wrist warmers, other than that I have no idea.

Yep, charity is a good idea. My sister works w/cancer patients of all ages and they always need hats. However, they like for the hats to be made out of very soft material as the skin of radiation patients can be very sensitive. Their resident knitter moved to another state, and since I have some leftover GGH Esprit and Vamos I'm going to try to supply them with some hats in the near future.

Knitting for the homeless, however, is a different story. I'm sure acrylic would be more than ok in that situation. Knitters review has a fairly extensive list of charities that accept knit goods. I think some of them even accept leftover yarn in good condition from non-smoking homes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004 08:31:18 PM »

there are some projects over on www.knitty.com for really tiny amounts of yarn like the "nose warmers" and "puppers" finger puppets.  Look in the pattern archive.

Also there was the hollow ball of yarn ornament here back before Christmas....

Oh, over on the review section I posted a request for reviews of the different materials of knitting needles.  I'd appreciate your input.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
getinmumouthstuff

get in my mouth!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004 07:47:05 PM »

I've been a felting maniac with my leftovers--knitting small squares and rectangles (sometimes with an intarsia image in them, sometimes not) and felting them until they are half their original size.  

And what do I do with the felted squares?
-make sets of coasters with matching felted box
-sew them together to make chunky felted purses/notebook wraps
-make a lining of tyvek (see the post in the handbag section), sew on a zipper, and attach for a great coin purse or tampon holder that won't get too linty on the inside.  perfect.

I mostly just like the knitting fix that gets results in less than three hours.  

For acrylic stuff, get large needles and knit several strands together.  When you get to the end of one color, tie on a new one.  Make cozies for your tv, stereo, bed frame, bike, or lamp.  

THIS ROCKS   Logged
babyjoy726
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004 09:05:24 PM »

OMG these are such great ideas!  i can't wait to try them all out... i think i have some really soft yarn leftover that i can start making chemocaps right away... are there any specific patterns i should follow or is it just the material that's used important?
i also have a copy of the yarn girl's guide to knitting somewhere... i'm going to get working on that scrap yarn afghan!

thanks everyone for your suggestions!  i know i've done a lot of posting without pictures, but i swear by this weekend i'll have a ton of things up!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- fortune cookie of the week -
"do not let great ambitions overshadow small success"
lucky numbers:  7, 19, 22, 25, 27, 33
Midtowner

Where did I put that needle/bead/yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004 04:41:22 PM »

More ideas here:
http://knitting.about.com/library/blmiscoddball.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jpants
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2004 07:25:01 AM »

i moved just recently and as I was packing up my stash I was thinking, what am i ever going to do with these tiny balls of yarn that I have left over?
well, just last night I was finishing up the second "fuzzy feet"  giant sock and I ran out of Lamb's Pride Chianti just before the toe decrease.  I went scavenging through the stash and found a small ball of Lamb's Pride worsted limeade that was left over from my first ever  scarf!  so now I will have one all chianti slipper and one chianti with a bright green toe!  Now I will always see the value in saving those leftovers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cassandra Clare on Her City of Lost Souls Launch Event
Tinsley Mortimer on Her New Book, Southern Charm
How to Stay Focused on Your Weight Loss
Alan Cumming Discusses His Macbeth Adaptation
Mark Henshaw on His Debut Thriller, "Red Cell"
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...