A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 305,032
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Three Wands for the Harry Potter 7 *Updated* 23/7 Mini tut + more pics  (Read 7983 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Michela
Hi, I'm Confused. And you are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 08, 2007 06:40:15 PM »

I'm going to a Harry Potter 7 midnight release party next Friday with a bunch of people, all of us in costume. I'm going as Luna, and decided to make my own wand rather than buying one of those really clunky plastic ones cause those big ones totally wouldn't fit behind my ear. When I told two of my dearest friends this, they instantly demanded their own wands. They are going as Cho and Tonks.

First; Heres Cho Chang's (AKA Angela) wand. 10 3/4 inches Mahogany with Silver accents Unicorn hair core.

Close up of the accents.

Second; Here's Luna Lovegood's (AKA Mine) wand. 11 1/2 inches Rosewood with gold accents Dragon heartstring core.

Close up

Tonk's (AKA Laura's) unfinished wand. Laura hasn't decided what she wants her wand to be yet but what is known is that its 13 5/8 inches long with a slightly bent tip (I imagined Tonks bending it during one of her klutzy moments) and lots of dents and entire chunk missing because shes an Auror and since there is a war going on her wand had probably been on the receiving end of a few dark curses.

All the wands are made with Sculpty III with coat hanger wrapped in tin foil armature. After curing them I dry brushed Cho's wand with dark brown acyclic paint and painted the accent pieces with silver. Luna's was brushed with a watered down cream coloured AP then some dark brown in the crevices. The accent pieces are painted with antique gold paint.

UPDATE: I finished Tonks (AKA's Laura's) Wand and I made Luna (AKA me) a new wand because the first one didn't quite feel right. So here they are

Tonks:

Full view

Detailing on the handle

Close up of the end. The painting really brought out all the missing chunks and scratchs. I was really quite proud of this wand.

Luna:

Full view

Close up detailing.
This one is a few shades darker than the original Luna wand and nearly half a cm narrowing at the handle which made sticking it behind my ear much more comfortable. I gave the other wand to a friend who came to the party but sadly couldn't stay long.

Here's an action shots.

Ok so thats some random little girl who wanted a photo with all of us, Me, Angela and Laura. Sadly I only got one picture of my on full costume with my wand since I was the one taking the pictures all night, and this isn't it. The one pic of me is really quite horrible so just pretend you can all see through little girls and you can see me wielding my wand. We got compliments on them all night. We actually had a student documentry team follow us around half the night after they saw our wands (and wigs) and asked about our costumes.

So anyway, Heres a mini tutorial for a dark coloured wand:

Materials:
-One brick of sculpty II in brown (or any PC brand. You'll need nearly a whole brick. More if your wand it going to be as big as Tonks'). I blended 3 parts chocolate to 1 part terracotta to get a slightly lighter shade of brown.
-Tin foil
-Acrylic paint. Dark brown, Black, Silver or Gold
-small soft paint brush
-paper towel
-something to mix paint in
-coat hanger or heavy gauge wire (optional)
-fine grit sand paper (optional. I didn't use it but if you want a really smooth wand, you'll want this)

1. Roll a 30 cm long piece of tin foil in to a tube. If using a piece of wire, wrap the foil around it.
2. Condition clay and set about 1/10th aside for detailing. Wrap the rest around the tin foil tube, making sure to taper the end.
3. Roll the remaing PC in to a long snake about 3mm thick. Wrap it around the top of the handle area in a random swirly pattern. I just made it up as I went along. Wrap a small piece around the bottom of the handle in a simple circle.
4. Smooth any creases, dents or finger prints. To make a well used looking wand, use your finger nails to add little dents and scratchs. Make them shallow. The paint will really make them show up after curing.
5. Bake at 250F for 25-30 minutes (longer and at a lower temp so its stronger).
6. After its completely cool, wet sand if you want (I was making wands that needed to look well used and slightly abused so I didn't. Also, I'm rather lazy)
7. Water down the dark brown paint and brush over the wand making sure to get in to all the nooks and crannies. wipe off with the paper towel before it dries. Repeat this step until the wand looks right. It took me 3-5 coats.
7. Water down the black paint and brush it in to the detailing and any scratches you want to stand out anymore. Wipe off excess.
8. Let the wand dry, then paint the detailing with the silver or gold paint.
9. When dry, wander around town randomly casting spells at people (Impedimenta is a good one. As is Stupefy).

« Last Edit: July 22, 2007 10:14:58 PM by Michela » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft so I can avoid reality.....
My wist
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007 06:44:06 PM »

Oh, those are so awesome! I love HP crafts. I'm so excited for the movie and book to come out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
crystalthepirate
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007 07:05:57 PM »

AMAZING. your friends are so lucky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kcfirecracker
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007 12:05:40 AM »

Wholly moses! Those are rad & totally kicking my anxiously awaiting ass!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Are you taking orders, or are you taking over?" -The Clash
katilo
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007 06:12:28 AM »

They look beautiful! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bigyellowtaxi
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007 09:01:30 AM »

Wow! Very impressive!  Olivander himself would be jealous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlBrett
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007 02:05:22 PM »

Oh love them! Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane15
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007 08:13:03 PM »

These are works of art Michela.   It  really shows that you put a lot of time and effort into them. Cho Chang's (AKA Angela) wand kind of has a realistic leather type look to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007 05:07:31 AM »

Those are absolutely gorgeous, probably the nicest interpretations of the HP wands that I've seen! So sleek and elegant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Michela
Hi, I'm Confused. And you are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007 11:35:19 AM »

thank you everyone. Im glad you like them, it makes me feeling a little less anxious about giving the wands to thier intended owners lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft so I can avoid reality.....
My wist
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
8 Great Curling Irons and Hair Straighteners
Music-Festival Hair Tutorial: Braids Within a Braid
MicroTouch Max Personal Hair Trimmer: Does It Work?
The Hottest Hair Trends for Spring 2014
How to Make Your Own Dry Shampoo for Dark Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...