A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First body butter! *Now with tutorial*  (Read 21928 times)
Tags for this thread: body_butter , essential_oil , cocoa_butter , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Samsara
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good..

"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 08, 2007 12:02:15 PM »

I made my first body butter today!!

It was so easy! I combined 3 parts cocoa butter to 4 parts coconut oil, melted them together and added some vanilla oil for fragrance. It's just set and smells gorgeous! It makes my skin feel lovely and soft too!  Wink
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007 11:32:13 PM by Samsara » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007 12:16:05 PM »

That looks good enough to eat, I bet the smell is heavenly!  What kind of conatiner is it in and does it have to be airtight?  I'm still a newbie to the whole melt and pour thing and I'm always afraid of melting the containers!  Also, being a newb, where did you get your supplies?
Fantastic job by the way!
~Beth
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Samsara

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007 12:25:46 PM »

Thanks! I made this from some cocoa butter I got from eBay, and the coconut oil was from an Indian greengrocer type shop. The kind that sells all sorts of ethnic foodstuffs and is piled from floor to ceiling. I didn't spot it at first, but the shopkeeper asked what I was looking for and pointed me to it! The tub is a body shop body butter tub. I save them when I get them and reuse them for various things. I melted it all on a low setting in my microwave in a Pyrex bowl. I added the essential oils after I melted everything else, so that the fragrance wouldn't dissapate.  Wink I don't think the plastic pot would survive being 'nuked' in the microwave. The pot has a screw on lid with it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007 12:29:36 PM by Samsara » THIS ROCKS   Logged

soleilandjune
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007 03:27:58 PM »

You make it sound so easy  Cheesy

Do you think perfume oil or fragrance oil would work as well as essential oil? If I bought some oils from the Body shop and put it in the body butter, would it be gross?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Samsara

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007 12:18:50 AM »

You make it sound so easy  Cheesy

It was easy! Just don't boil the oil and butter. I don't see why perfume oil wouldn't work. Make sure that it's the stuff that can go on your skin though. I don't think the room fragrance stuff would be too good for you.   Wink
Have a go! I melted mine in a pyrex dish and transfered it to a plastic tub - I was going to let it cool/solidify naturally, but I got too impatient and popped it in the fridge *lol*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soleilandjune
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007 08:14:26 PM »

Would it be too much to ask for a semi-tutorial? (e.g. how much is 3 parts cocoa butter)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Samsara

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007 11:31:09 PM »

No, that's fine. I made it easy for myself and decided that 3 parts = 3 oz and 4 parts = 4 oz. If that's wrong, somebody let me know coz maths isn't my strongest point  Wink

You will need: 3 oz cocoa butter, 4 oz coconut oil, vanilla essential oil, heatproof bowl, lidded jar, microwave (or cooker), scales.

1. Find a heatproof container. I used a pyrex bowl so it could go in the microwave, I suppose you could also use a saucepan and do it on the cooker.

2. Measure the oils into the bowl. Cocoa butter is normally solid whilst coconut oil is sort of semi solid.

3. Melt them on a very low heat so that they melt but don't boil.

4. When both oils are liquid, add the scent you want to use (I I used vanilla essential oil) and give it a stir to disperse the oil.

5. Pour the melted oil into a lidded container. I used an old Body Shop body butter container as it has a screw on lid.

6. Allow to cool and solidify. I speeded this process up by popping it in the fridge.

That's it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldencrafter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007 08:13:45 PM »

An added note for first timers. Make sure that the fragrance oil does not contain alcohol or it wont mix in, it will just sit in the surface no matter how much you stir.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
supergingergenius
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007 08:15:55 PM »

ooooo!!! that looks so yummy -- your tutorial makes it all so simple, i may have to have a go at it  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Samsara

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007 12:01:07 AM »

It's probably one of the easiest things you'll ever do! I can't believe it took me so long to get around to doing it! When you consider a Body Shop tub of body butter costs around 4-5 for the same size.... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Pedicure Inspiration
Hot Lip Colors for Summer
Peace Sign Nail Art Tutorial
Get Cindy Crawford’s Beauty Mark
SKINSHIFT Supplements That Will Help and Fix Your Skin
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...