A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,389
Currently Running With Scissors:
787 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Church of Craft Kansas City  (Read 2724 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cherith

...some secrets are better left undiscovered...

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2007 12:51:13 PM »

I want to create, with the help of a lot of good crafty people, a Kansas City division of the Church of Craft (http://www.churchofcraft.org). The CoC is an organization that has groups in several big cities already - plenty of them you can read about in the other city forums. In each city, there's monthly or weekly (depending on the members) meetings to have people get together and do crafty things. It's about being with other crafty or creative people, and sharing experiences, techniques, research, ect. I think KC needs one, and I've already talked to the lady in charge about starting one here.

Nothing is required, nothing is necessary, and you don't even have to be crafty already...wanting to be is enough. I've already started collecting lots of project ideas to share.  I'm hoping there's some interest in this, because I'm pretty excited about trying to get it started. I'm going to make a post in the Missouri forums also, hoping to garner plenty of interest. If you're in KC and you are an artist, writer, knitter, musician or other creative or crafty type person and you're interested, let me know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
The Church of Craft for Kansas City!
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."  ~Aristotle
Cherith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007 10:36:07 AM »

We're having our second Church of Craft meeting this coming Saturday, April 7th at the Urban Arts + Crafts store in the Briarcliff Village Shops. 

We're going to attempt a project this weekend, so I wanted to make a post with some details for those of you that weren't at our last meeting, or those of you that were but might not remember. 

April 7th, 2007 2:30pm - 4:30pm
Project: Make Your Own Journal, or Blank-Page Book
Meeting at: Urban Arts + Crafts in the shops at Briarcliff Village (send me PM if you need directions)

Supplies:
Cardboard cut to the size of your book, folded in half.
Fabric One piece large enough to cover the cardboard width-wise three times.
Paper At least 20 pieces cut just slightly smaller than your cardboard cover piece
Regular Desk Stapler or Needle and thread (I used crochet thread)
Ribbon or other embellishments

Everyone is welcome.  I really hope people can make it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
Cherith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007 11:29:20 AM »

May 5th, 2007 2:30pm - 4:30pm
Project: The "Rapunzel" Scarf
Meeting at: Urban Arts + Crafts in the shops at Briarcliff Village (send me PM if you need directions)

Our next scheduled meeting for the CoC is this Saturday, May 5th, at the Urban Arts + Crafts store in Briarcliff Village. I know that it's Cinco de Mayo and several people may have other plans for the afternoon, so if you don't think you can make it at 2:30pm Saturday afternoon, please let me know ahead of time. I'd rather be polite to our gracious hosts at the store and let them know ahead of time if we don't need the space.

If you are planning on coming this weekend, I've got a great project / swap for us to try out this weekend. I'd like to try and put together what's being called the "Rapunzel" scarf. It's a really fun project that you don't need to know how to knit or crochet or anything to make.

Supplies: Yarn (and lots of it) or fabric, or ribbon or all of the above!  Here's where the 'swap' part of this project comes in. For this project you need about 30 very long strands of yarn or fabric scraps or ribbon. When I say long, I mean about 10ft, although depending on how long you'd like your finished project to be, that length can vary. My idea is that we all bring scraps for this project, and with luck there will be enough of us to swap bits and pieces to make some really funky results.

There's a lot of great scarves using this technique here at Craftster just do a search for 'Rapunzel' if you're curious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
Cherith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007 01:27:57 PM »

I'm starting a new project that CoC members are welcome to join in on.  Read more about it here on Craftster, or at the Read Books, Will Journal project forum.

Also, our next meeting is Sunday June 3rd, 2007 at the Latt Land across the street from Urban Arts + Crafts in the Briarcliff Village shops.  It's going to be a 'bring whatever you're working on' sort of day.  Same time as usual, just a different day 2:30pm - 4:30pm.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007 01:31:51 PM by Cherith » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
Cherith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007 01:42:34 PM »

Hey Everyone.  It's that time again!  The next Church of Craft meeting is this coming Saturday - July 7th, 2007 at Urban Arts + Crafts in the Briarcliff Village shops, from 2:30pm to 4:30pm.  Please let me know if you don't think you'll be coming.  The ladies at the shop let us use their space for free for our group, and I don't want to take it up if no one is going to be there. 

This month, I don't have a project for everyone to work on.  However, I would love to have some discussions about ATCs (Artist Trading Cards).  If you don't know what ATCs are you can read more here on Wikipedia or just show up Saturday.  You don't have to work on an ATC during the meeting though, bring whatever you'd like, or just bring yourself!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007 01:43:07 PM by Cherith » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
Cherith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007 09:19:21 PM »

This is just a reminder that the next Church of Craft meeting is this Saturday, where we'll be having an Arts and Crafts swap!  This is your chance to bring any craft supplies, half finished pieces or crafty whatnots to show to other people and see what you can get in return.

As usual, we'll be in the back room at Urban Arts + Crafts in the Briarcliff Village shops, from 2:30pm to 4:30pm.  Please let me know if you don't think you'll make it.  I'd like to get any notice if it doesn't seem like we'll have many people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
Cherith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007 07:44:15 AM »

Hey everyone! The Church of Craft meeting for the month of October is going to be this Sunday (Oct. 4th), not Saturday. The Urban Arts + Crafts store is all booked up in October, so we'll be meeting across the street at the Latte Land in the Briarcliff Village shops. Same time as usual, 2:30pm to 4:30pm. There's a small room to the right when you enter the store, it should accomodate a few of us and give us room to work.

One of our members is getting married the following Tuesday (Oct. 9th) and I've been giving a lot of thought lately to photography and scrapbooking as a result. I'd love to come together this Sunday and talk about different techniques and ideas for Scrapbooking. I know this is a popular hobby that some people feel strongly about one way or another. If you're not into scrapbooking, please feel free to bring any project you're currently working on and just spend some time with us. If you have any scrapbooking books or materials, please bring them along so we can all share ideas!

Hope to see you Sunday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Image Processor in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Rename a File in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Work with the Metadata Panel in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Move and Delete Images in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Sort and Rotate Images in Adobe Bridge CS3
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...