A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My painted window.  (Read 1468 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kimberlina
« on: July 07, 2007 06:13:10 PM »

Because my house used to be owned by stupid people who did stupid things, I cannot put a curtain on my entry-door window.  (Read: The door casing is very deep, and the magnetic rods that would work on the metal door are too deep, too, and cause the door not to open all the way, not to mention that they crack if you try to use them anyway.  Ask me how I know....)

For a while, I had that glass paint on the window that is supposed to look like stained glass, but a few months ago I scraped it all off because it looked like mustard and ketchup and I repainted it with regular old acrylic paint.

I know it is pretty standard as far as the design goes, but my house  is Victorian, so it kinda' works.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sorcha Griannon

Wench this! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007 08:03:37 PM »

I have that same door window ( in green, with a lovely pebbled texture), so I KNOW your pain.  Yours looks very nice.  I've wanted to do something like this, but given the color and texture it's a no-go. 
Congrats on the painting.

Sorcha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wench #2524, Sorcha. International Wenches Guild
Founder-"The Prick'd Finger Society" where our motto is "If you haven't bled, it's not finished, the sacrifice must be made"
My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007 08:09:00 PM »

Good for you!  I used to use acrylic craft paint to doodle and write on a bathroom mirror.  I also own a house that former owners did stupid things to and it's SO REWARDING to come up with a cool, inexpensive DIY improvement!  I'm also thinking about something for my own front door. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007 12:11:22 AM »

It looks great. For anyone else who needs a little privacy & conventional things dont work they make a contact paper that looks frosted. Its great for that stained glass look if you combine it with those leading strips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimberlina
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007 06:05:10 AM »

I didn't even think about the frosted contact paper.  I did consider those cool, pricey stick-on various picture panels that they sell at big box home improvement stores, but I didn't want to have to cut them evenly around those ridiculous fake muntons.  I also didn't want to pay the price they want for them.  I had all that paint, and luckily, it matched my kitchen (yellow walls with a French country kind of thing going on with the curtains in the other windows) so I went for it.

I've been in this house 6.5 years and have yet to get all the windows covered. Maybe I never will....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007 08:01:53 AM »

I didn't even think about the frosted contact paper.  I did consider those cool, pricey stick-on various picture panels that they sell at big box home improvement stores, but I didn't want to have to cut them evenly around those ridiculous fake muntons.  I also didn't want to pay the price they want for them.  I had all that paint, and luckily, it matched my kitchen (yellow walls with a French country kind of thing going on with the curtains in the other windows) so I went for it.

I've been in this house 6.5 years and have yet to get all the windows covered. Maybe I never will....

I understand your pain my house is 110yrs old. Luckily I'm only the 4th owner & nobody went crazy decorating in a bad decade like the 80's but it's still hard to find great window treatments. The previous owners of my house didn't believe in primer I think because every door in my house is peeling in one stage or another.....Its great for me though when I get to stripping them all I can just use a butter knife. I have one "mini door" in my kitchen that you literally cant get to unless you move the dishwasher, it's painted shut & I'm not even sure if I did try to open it if I could since there isn't much clearance from the countertops. Old houses have their charms & their quirks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adding Texture to a Reflection in Photoshop
Creating Mood with Gaussian Blur in Photoshop
Understanding Aspect Ratio for Printing
Windmill Post Processing
Color Range in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...