A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone have any good kale recipes?  (Read 3209 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Avian Flight
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008 06:43:25 PM »

i've had baby kale with caramelized onions before. sooooo good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
carrotsandcrochethooks
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009 01:41:20 PM »

I really like Kale with Tahini dressing and jedra (carmelized onions, lentils, olive oil, garlic and rice or bulgur wheat)

Here is a recipe for Tahini dressing:
http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=95

delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

" Asking me said she so free / how can you catch the sparrow?"
NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009 08:24:40 PM »

The second time I made a version of the mashed potato-kale casserole listed on the first page by Spaghetti, I added crushed corn flakes to the top before I put it in the oven.  The crunchiness really added to the dish.  It was awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cowgirlz101
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009 02:50:23 PM »

These recipes all sound so good! I only have tried kale once and I cooked it in a frying pan with a little oil, sort of sauteeing with chopped garlic, after tearing it into bite-sized pieces. I've got to start branching out!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One moment can change everything!

Live your life to the fullest every day!

Let your past remain behind you as you look forward to the future!
AromaRageST
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009 09:33:59 AM »

I really love kale risotto. Just make a basic risotto with onions, white wine, veggie stock and then about 5 mins before its ready, in another pan sautee the kale in a little butter, maybe adding some sliced mushrooms, when they are all cooked just stir into the risotto.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pathlesstraveled

Is it hot in here?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009 09:57:01 PM »

Saute kale in olive oil with salt, pepper, and a bunch of minced garlic.  Heat up one drained and rinsed can of cannellini beans with a couple tablespoons of water, add minced garlic, salt to taste, and the juice of one lemon.  Mash with a potato masher, then combine with the kale.  Serve on toasted bread (sourdough/pain au levain is the best...mmm!).  I personally like to put Smart Balance on my bread first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elsi
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009 12:03:55 PM »

I have two favorites for kale:

Italian Breaded Kale

1 bunch kale, washed & torn
olive oil
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
1 c. dry, seasoned bread crumbs

Saute kale in a small amount of olive oil until tender.  Stir bread crumbs and parmesan cheese together and toss with the cooked kale.  Serves 3-6.

I got this recipe from the back of some package -- don't know if it was on the kale, the cheese, or bread crumbs.  I like to use the bread crumbs that come in a round container, but you can certainly make your own directly from bread or even by pulverizing croutons.

Caldo Gallego

2 c. dry white beans (or 6 c. cooked/canned)
1 onion, chopped
2 clove garlic, minced
1/2 green pepper, chopped fine
1 stalk celery, chopped fine
olive oil
1 bunch kale, washed & torn
salt & pepper to taste

Saute onion, garlic, green pepper, and celery in a small amount of olive oil until tender.  If you're starting with dried beans, set them to cooking in about 3-4 quarts of water.  You can add the sauteed vegetables to the cooking beans and simmer until beans are tender.  If your beans are already cooked, stir them and the sauteed vegetables into one quart of water and bring to a slow boil.

When beans are cooked, stir kale into the soup and keep at a simmer for at least 30 minutes.  Adjust seasonings to taste.

I first ate this soup at a Cuban restaurant in Orlando, FL.  The non-vegetarian version uses chorizo or other spicy sausage.  If you're into vegan substitutes for meat, you might try a vegan sausage or "fake bacon" to add a meaty flavor.  You can also add 1-3 potatoes cut into small cubes if you want to stretch it a bit more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlonbike
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010 02:54:19 PM »

I like to use kale leafs as wrappings instead of tortillas, or bread. I also cut them into chunks, coat with olive oil & salt then dehydrate till crispy. They make a great crunchy, salty snack alternative to chips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaissa
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010 06:24:28 PM »

Last week I steamed some kale, then drizzled it with a bit of garlicky olive oil, a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of feta.  Simple but really tasty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tourbillion
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010 01:59:15 AM »

I make raw kale chips sometimes.  I just put some salt water or Bragg's liquid aminos on kale and put it in the dehydrator for a day or two. 

They are super tasty and no added fat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY: Texturizing Sea Salt Hair Spray
Pro Tips For Runway To Real Life Hairstyles
Tips For Avoiding Frizzy Hair
How To Use Hot Rollers
How to Get the Hottest Hair Trends in Hollywood
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...