A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fun new experiences<3 Edit: the worst thing that could happen to free fiber :(  (Read 1552 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

theboythatspins

If you don't knit, you must aquit!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2007 10:53:09 AM »

Hi,
Just got this yesterday from my friend Nan for spinning her some yarn [she's a felter and didn't need all the left over roving and such and wanted to help another fiber artist out...I see nothing wrong with that lol]

This is the yarn I spun for her, she wanted a worsted weight to knit into a hat for her husband out of it because the roving consisted of Baby Llama and cormo, it was so soft, and the llama who's fiber was in it, is her husbands favorite so I thought that was sweet Cheesy

EDIT:

It was an accident so I can't be all that mad...but dad decided to do some sring cleaning for some reason...IN THE SUMMER....and threw away my big bag of fiber that I got...it was in a trash bag and I thought I marked it with a sign...oh well, I managed to keep my Masham out on the table...so I still have a lb. of that left....this really stinks, especially since my fiber store is 2 hours away and is closed all this month. *hits self in head now*

This is what I got for it:
     1 Lb. of random wool, 8 oz. of Llama/Shetland mix, and 4 oz. of kid mohair and border liecester lamb locks

1 lb. of Masham wool top, imported from England [I had never heard of this before and thought it would be a really rough and course yarn but it turned out other wise], and samples for me to try of Ramie, Angelina, and Jute [I'm going to her house this wedsday and we are having a felting/spinning day and she said I can go through her stash and take what I want!]

and finally, the colorful stuff is 100% merino top, my first time and I just have to say I love it. here it is spun up.

I have started to blend and spin with my hand cards and louet s10 the border lie.+angelina+kid mohair and it's comming along nice and now I have started also to spin some of the Masham. It's a course wool but doesnt feel course up against the skin, it's very warm and will make a nice, heavy-duty sweater or hat or sock yarn Cheesy I don't know weather to ply it or just leave it as a single and knit some socks with it. I have a pound and am spinning my first single of it at almost the finished weight and thickness of a finished, store bought sock yarn. What do you think? Thanks, hope I didn't bore you lol  Grin Lips sealed

p.s.- I will post pictures of the finished yarn and batts I have made tomorrow or monday, my camera needs new batteries and I have to go buy some since I cant find my battery charger!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007 06:28:02 AM by theboythatspins » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I USED TO BE 007lucious_lips!!!!! I MOVED!

If you're happy and you know it say a swear; Boobs, Hiney, MITTENS!
     www.livejournal.com/users/obscura_lamia
Check out the blog for my photography and crafts...and don't forget silly high school drama
                     <3Brandonlicious
Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007 01:12:47 PM »

Wow, you've found yourself a great friend! Cheesy
The colourful merino is beautiful, but I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with all the other things as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

theboythatspins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007 07:41:43 PM »

Wow, you've found yourself a great friend! Cheesy
The colourful merino is beautiful, but I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with all the other things as well!

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Cheesy

Yep, she's uber nice and uber funny and cool! We click well.

I loved spinning the merino it was so nice, but I have to say, spinning my batts that I have made with the locks and angelina [first time with sparkles!] from me hand carding it is really fun and shiny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the blog for my photography and crafts...and don't forget silly high school drama
                     <3Brandonlicious
Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007 02:52:29 AM »

Oh yes, rolags are lots of fun! I haven't used any sparkle in my spinning yet, maybe one day, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

theboythatspins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007 07:53:07 AM »

Oh yes, rolags are lots of fun! I haven't used any sparkle in my spinning yet, maybe one day, lol.

Ha, yea it took me this long and probly the only reason I'm getting to use sparkle is because it was gifted to me! I actually dont roll them into rolags, for some reason when I try to spin from rolags, they get really dense and thick...so I just pull the batt of the hand carder and form a little diz with my right hand like when you hold onto a swing when you sit on it and gently pull through trying to be as even as possible and make a sort of fuzzy roving Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3Brandonlicious
anneadeline
Crafty Scientist

GEEK on so many levels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007 06:16:25 PM »

Lucky!  That merino top is just beautiful.  I usually don't go for light colors, but these colors are amazing.

I just pull the batt of the hand carder and form a little diz with my right hand like when you hold onto a swing when you sit on it and gently pull through trying to be as even as possible and make a sort of fuzzy roving Cheesy
Huh, I never thought to do that... it's a great idea.
I love rolags because of the texture it gives the yarn (and not just because it is a strange word, either  Cheesy).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theboythatspins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007 06:24:30 AM »

Lucky!  That merino top is just beautiful.  I usually don't go for light colors, but these colors are amazing.

I just pull the batt of the hand carder and form a little diz with my right hand like when you hold onto a swing when you sit on it and gently pull through trying to be as even as possible and make a sort of fuzzy roving Cheesy
Huh, I never thought to do that... it's a great idea.
I love rolags because of the texture it gives the yarn (and not just because it is a strange word, either  Cheesy).

Thanks, and yea rolag is a funny name!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3Brandonlicious
Lufahsman
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007 06:45:28 AM »

Wow that sucks about the fiber getting thrown away.  If your wanting to blend fiber on the cheap check this out.

http://cidermoon.com/WordPress/?page_id=182

Jacki loves this thing.  She has tried every way know to man to combine fibers and this is defiantly the way she prefers.

Travis
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A very silly place...
http://yarnzombie.net/Travis
Star217
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007 07:41:43 AM »

Wow I'm so sorry about the trash bag, I pmed you with an offer of some free batts as a condolence.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
pansymouse
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007 07:51:06 AM »

I grew up near to Masham, its very close to Wensleydale (also v. vice fleece) and Swaledale (a bit rough).  If you want to be very impressive remember Masham is pronouncd Massum not Mash-am - most people in the UK get it wrong and I always wince.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Things to Try This October 2014
Top 4 Lipsticks for Autumn
How to Fake Fuller Lips
The Best Way to Apply Stick Foundation
What Happens to Your Body After You Have a Baby?
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...