A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tour de Fleece 2007  (Read 26607 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2007 08:18:06 PM »

Craftster was down all last night because of the errors and there are a few threads about it 'round here somewhere. I think leahs got it working now, though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
bixby2
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2007 08:26:57 PM »

So this is what I finished last night and today.  I got the Nightshade plied up last night.  It actually came out mostly laceweight!!

I then jumped into some Tulip.  It is certainly laceweight and is taking FOREVER to spin  Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007 08:28:54 PM by bixby2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Electric Sheep Fibers!  http://amysbabies.etsy.com

My Blog
http://amysbabies.wordpress.com/
anneadeline
Crafty Scientist

GEEK on so many levels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2007 09:02:35 PM »

fyberduck - I love that picture!  It captures the true nature of a spinner.  Trees?  Who needs trees when a spindle is handy?  Cheesy

I haven't spun anything yet today, but I will after checking in.  I'm working on some green superwash.  Gosh, it is so easy to draft with superwash!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2007 06:36:27 AM »

Well ladies and gents I am having a wonderful time with my new Lendrum!  So wonderful in fact that I spun about 12 ounces yesterday!  thats quite a lot for me!  Enough with the exclamation points already, Betzi!  Sheesh!

The following skien came from my first hand-dyed roving.  I wasn't too crazy about the outcome, but hey, its a learning experience, right?

Here is Johnny Jump-up, about 150 ish yards of dk weight.  I haven't measured WPIs yet, i'm just guessing:

The other 8 ounces I spun up yesterday aren't plied yet.  I'll get a pic when it is, its some nice dark green Ashland bay roving hubby got me as a present a while back.

All of the yarns so far fo the tour are absolutely stunning!  Bixby, i can't wait to see tulip in skein form, i love the colors! 

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007 07:09:46 AM by betzi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2007 06:54:04 AM »

eatmoreplants - I use my ashford niddy noddy.

WAIT! I have an ashford niddy noddy! How many yards does that make for each strand? And whats this business about a skein winder? I have never heard of that and I want one badly!

Everyone's yarns look so amazing. I have a request- for those of you spinning with fibers other than wool- could you breifly talk about how it spins- I am trying to get into alternative fibers. I spun some bamboo this week and I found it pretty difficult. It kept slipping apart on me.

So I haven't posted pictures all tour- but now I have three days worth of pictures. I got a whole skein finished on the first two days- but last night when I went to spin and my wheel fell apart. It was really sad. A screw had come out. My boyfriend spent a long time trying to fix it- but something was wrong with the screw so he fashioned something  out of a paper clip that won't last long- luckily he's in the screw business so he'll bring one home from work. So I didn't get to spin for very long last night.

Here's some of the roving I am working with- both are 4 oz of hand painted bamboo- yummy Smiley

Here is the skein from day one- 4 oz 100% bamboo. This was my first attempt at spinning bamboo. It is amazingly soft! I navajo plyed it. I learned to navajo ply this week and now I am totally obsessed!

The next is from some merino/mohair that I handpainted with acid dyes. It was my first attempt working with acid dyes and I LOVE them! I'm really happy with the way it turned out- it's like autumn!

Lastly, I have my sad little unfinished bamboo singles still on the bobbin that I did last night. I have a final paper due tomorrow- but I really hope I can finish them tonight!

**Any Suggestions for what to knit with my single skeins of lucious bamboo?**
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.c om

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
Star217
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2007 07:29:28 AM »

Here's what I did last night. My wheel and I were finally reunited yipee! Its 2oz (1/2 of the Spunky eclectic fotm "Tulips") of BFL spun laceweight. I'm trying to spin this up using the fractal strip method from the recent issue of Spin-Off
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2007 08:04:10 AM »

eatmoreplants - I use my ashford niddy noddy.

WAIT! I have an ashford niddy noddy! How many yards does that make for each strand? And whats this business about a skein winder? I have never heard of that and I want one badly!

The ashford niddy noddy makes a 5 foot 'loop'- so when you wind your skein- count how many times you went around (you know,just count all the strands), and then multiply by five. Thats your total feet. I then usually divide by three to get the total yards.
And a skin winder is like a niddy noddy- they both wind skeins.  Tongue But I think lots of skein winders are adjustable and are more for making pretty skeins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2007 08:23:12 AM »

thank you thank you thank you!!!! Now I can estimate how much I need to spin better for projects!!!!! YAY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.c om

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
Soth
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2007 08:30:26 AM »

OMG eatmoreplants the bamboo looks sooooo great! so soft and silky. I think, I have to buy some.... Wink

Everybodys yarns look fabulous.

During the last 3 days I spun up a braid of superwash wool, the last of my handdeyed ones.

Today I finally plied it

The result is not really as I imagined  Roll Eyes  I think it's a bit boring. But anyway, it's nearly laceweight 300 yards and maybe a nice pattern will do the trick...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

For pictures of the "TOUR DE FLEECE 2007" visit my blog: medieval maiden http://sothlegar.blogspot.com/

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein
bixby2
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2007 09:07:44 AM »

eatmoreplants - The sparkle off that bamboo is practicaly blinding!!  They look fantastic

Star - it's great to see somebody else working on the same fiber using a different technique

Soth - I don't think it looks boring!  I love the color variations
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Electric Sheep Fibers!  http://amysbabies.etsy.com

My Blog
http://amysbabies.wordpress.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Spiral Curls
How to Do Pin Curls
How to Perm Hair
How to Choose a Perm
How to Get Rid of a Green Tone in Blonde Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...