A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tour de Fleece 2007  (Read 26447 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2007 08:18:06 PM »

Craftster was down all last night because of the errors and there are a few threads about it 'round here somewhere. I think leahs got it working now, though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
bixby2
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2007 08:26:57 PM »

So this is what I finished last night and today.  I got the Nightshade plied up last night.  It actually came out mostly laceweight!!

I then jumped into some Tulip.  It is certainly laceweight and is taking FOREVER to spin  Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007 08:28:54 PM by bixby2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Electric Sheep Fibers!  http://amysbabies.etsy.com

My Blog
http://amysbabies.wordpress.com/
anneadeline
Crafty Scientist

GEEK on so many levels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2007 09:02:35 PM »

fyberduck - I love that picture!  It captures the true nature of a spinner.  Trees?  Who needs trees when a spindle is handy?  Cheesy

I haven't spun anything yet today, but I will after checking in.  I'm working on some green superwash.  Gosh, it is so easy to draft with superwash!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2007 06:36:27 AM »

Well ladies and gents I am having a wonderful time with my new Lendrum!  So wonderful in fact that I spun about 12 ounces yesterday!  thats quite a lot for me!  Enough with the exclamation points already, Betzi!  Sheesh!

The following skien came from my first hand-dyed roving.  I wasn't too crazy about the outcome, but hey, its a learning experience, right?

Here is Johnny Jump-up, about 150 ish yards of dk weight.  I haven't measured WPIs yet, i'm just guessing:

The other 8 ounces I spun up yesterday aren't plied yet.  I'll get a pic when it is, its some nice dark green Ashland bay roving hubby got me as a present a while back.

All of the yarns so far fo the tour are absolutely stunning!  Bixby, i can't wait to see tulip in skein form, i love the colors! 

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007 07:09:46 AM by betzi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2007 06:54:04 AM »

eatmoreplants - I use my ashford niddy noddy.

WAIT! I have an ashford niddy noddy! How many yards does that make for each strand? And whats this business about a skein winder? I have never heard of that and I want one badly!

Everyone's yarns look so amazing. I have a request- for those of you spinning with fibers other than wool- could you breifly talk about how it spins- I am trying to get into alternative fibers. I spun some bamboo this week and I found it pretty difficult. It kept slipping apart on me.

So I haven't posted pictures all tour- but now I have three days worth of pictures. I got a whole skein finished on the first two days- but last night when I went to spin and my wheel fell apart. It was really sad. A screw had come out. My boyfriend spent a long time trying to fix it- but something was wrong with the screw so he fashioned something  out of a paper clip that won't last long- luckily he's in the screw business so he'll bring one home from work. So I didn't get to spin for very long last night.

Here's some of the roving I am working with- both are 4 oz of hand painted bamboo- yummy Smiley

Here is the skein from day one- 4 oz 100% bamboo. This was my first attempt at spinning bamboo. It is amazingly soft! I navajo plyed it. I learned to navajo ply this week and now I am totally obsessed!

The next is from some merino/mohair that I handpainted with acid dyes. It was my first attempt working with acid dyes and I LOVE them! I'm really happy with the way it turned out- it's like autumn!

Lastly, I have my sad little unfinished bamboo singles still on the bobbin that I did last night. I have a final paper due tomorrow- but I really hope I can finish them tonight!

**Any Suggestions for what to knit with my single skeins of lucious bamboo?**
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.c om

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
Star217
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2007 07:29:28 AM »

Here's what I did last night. My wheel and I were finally reunited yipee! Its 2oz (1/2 of the Spunky eclectic fotm "Tulips") of BFL spun laceweight. I'm trying to spin this up using the fractal strip method from the recent issue of Spin-Off
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2007 08:04:10 AM »

eatmoreplants - I use my ashford niddy noddy.

WAIT! I have an ashford niddy noddy! How many yards does that make for each strand? And whats this business about a skein winder? I have never heard of that and I want one badly!

The ashford niddy noddy makes a 5 foot 'loop'- so when you wind your skein- count how many times you went around (you know,just count all the strands), and then multiply by five. Thats your total feet. I then usually divide by three to get the total yards.
And a skin winder is like a niddy noddy- they both wind skeins.  Tongue But I think lots of skein winders are adjustable and are more for making pretty skeins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2007 08:23:12 AM »

thank you thank you thank you!!!! Now I can estimate how much I need to spin better for projects!!!!! YAY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.c om

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
Soth
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2007 08:30:26 AM »

OMG eatmoreplants the bamboo looks sooooo great! so soft and silky. I think, I have to buy some.... Wink

Everybodys yarns look fabulous.

During the last 3 days I spun up a braid of superwash wool, the last of my handdeyed ones.

Today I finally plied it

The result is not really as I imagined  Roll Eyes  I think it's a bit boring. But anyway, it's nearly laceweight 300 yards and maybe a nice pattern will do the trick...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

For pictures of the "TOUR DE FLEECE 2007" visit my blog: medieval maiden http://sothlegar.blogspot.com/

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein
bixby2
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2007 09:07:44 AM »

eatmoreplants - The sparkle off that bamboo is practicaly blinding!!  They look fantastic

Star - it's great to see somebody else working on the same fiber using a different technique

Soth - I don't think it looks boring!  I love the color variations
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Electric Sheep Fibers!  http://amysbabies.etsy.com

My Blog
http://amysbabies.wordpress.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Pedicure Inspiration
Hot Lip Colors for Summer
Peace Sign Nail Art Tutorial
Get Cindy Crawford’s Beauty Mark
SKINSHIFT Supplements That Will Help and Fix Your Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...