A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,732
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tour de Fleece 2007  (Read 29046 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Soth
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2007 12:52:00 PM »

oh WOW, this looks sooooo squishy. I just want to grab it and bury my fingers in it.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For pictures of the "TOUR DE FLEECE 2007" visit my blog: medieval maiden http://sothlegar.blogspot.com/

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein
tehandehness
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2007 02:24:47 PM »

Wow, Y'all spin FAST.  Looks good, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop!  http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=51693

Christmas Blanket 1 3/16
Christmas Blanket 2 4/16
50+ Washcloth Along 2/50
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2007 03:27:17 PM »

That looks so yummy. Love the color!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2007 03:29:19 PM »

everything looks so great! baking soda is THE best cleaning tool ever! If it isnt strong enough on its own try using vinegar and lemon juice as well....

I have a question- how do you all figure out how many yards your skein is?

I am trying to make the tour de fleece extra challenging for myself so I am aiming on at least 1 skein per day. I guess I am a really fast spinner or something because I generally finish a skein in 20-50 minutes- depending on how/if I ply it. So I am going to spin a skein a day- I am also going to listen to books on tape or watch documentaries while I spin. I am going to finish 1984 and Walden during the tour. Yesteday I spun a skein of bamboo and a skein of some merino/mohair that I hand painted with acid dyes. They both turned out awesome!!! I will post some pictures later and I can't wait to see what we all make in the weeks to come Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
mistress_batty
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2007 03:45:34 PM »

everything looks so great! baking soda is THE best cleaning tool ever! If it isnt strong enough on its own try using vinegar and lemon juice as well....

I have a question- how do you all figure out how many yards your skein is?

I am trying to make the tour de fleece extra challenging for myself so I am aiming on at least 1 skein per day. I guess I am a really fast spinner or something because I generally finish a skein in 20-50 minutes- depending on how/if I ply it. So I am going to spin a skein a day- I am also going to listen to books on tape or watch documentaries while I spin. I am going to finish 1984 and Walden during the tour. Yesteday I spun a skein of bamboo and a skein of some merino/mohair that I hand painted with acid dyes. They both turned out awesome!!! I will post some pictures later and I can't wait to see what we all make in the weeks to come Smiley

For me, I take this wooden chair....and wrap my yarn around it. And I already measured the chair so I know that one wrap around it is 50 inches.
 Then I take the tied up hank off the chair and sit down counting out the yarn in multiples of 1000. At the end I take whatever the number was...say 4350. I divide it by 36". It's like 120.83 repeating. So I just say it's 120 yards....and then there's a few inches left over. I never round up. Better to say it's a yard shorter than a yard longer.
   lol it's not my favorite method but it's all I have right now.

I have a folding chair that one wrap around the top is exactly one yard. But it's terrible for anything over 70 yards. It's just too small width wise and way too big in height and doesn't look good twisted into a skein.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitwit

The cookie thief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2007 03:59:45 PM »

I used to use the chair method until I made some PVC niddy noddys. I know that each wrap all the way around is 2 yards so it's easy to count. I take the skein off, sit it in my lap, and count the threads across.

If you google pvc niddy noddy the free instructions pop right up.

The next thing I want is a skeinwinder though. It will be faster! But I am getting an arm workout each time I wind on the niddy.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anneadeline
Crafty Scientist

GEEK on so many levels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2007 04:57:10 PM »

eatmoreplants - I use my ashford niddy noddy.  It gets tiring after a while, but much cheaper than a skein winder.
feralfeminine - Your yarn is so squishy!  For some reason I can not ply with thread. 

This was my day 1 skein.  I hand-carded (as in, with hand carders) these batts so I could blend the 1/2 oz of mohair with black and some tussah.
Midnight , 3.1 oz , 162 yards , bulky; I almost never spin bulky!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
theredhead
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2007 05:00:24 PM »

I've been in Judith's silk workshop for the last 3 days, so I've spun small bits of many things containing silk.

Here's a bit of 2 ply silk I spun during class on Friday that earned 'Your silk spinning is perfect' from Judith. I'm very pleased that I just whipped this really nice yarn off in class. It really is 2 ply, I swear - I have witnesses and everything Wink I have no idea what the wpi is.

-the redhead-
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007 07:04:57 PM by vanillaxlight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bixby2
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2007 05:13:54 PM »

HOLY CRAP theredhead!  That is some amazing silk!! Shocked

I spun up the second half of my Nightshade from yesterday.  So take that bobbin photo from yesterday, and imagine there are two of them.

I use a Lendrum niddy noddy that I got for about $18 at Paradise Fibers.  I would LOVE a skeinwinder.  For some reason, my son doesn't find it entertaining to sit with a skein on his hands while I wind balls by hand.  Go figure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Electric Sheep Fibers!  http://amysbabies.etsy.com

My Blog
http://amysbabies.wordpress.com/
isamax
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2007 06:00:43 PM »

Yay!!!  I've started... even if I'm off to a slow start. 

I just returned from a long weekend camping trip.  I brought two drop spindles and some wool with me and was hoping to teach my sister to spin on day one.  Unfortunately, no lessons were given (kids can be so demanding)!  But I did manage to spin enough to make a stitch marker.  So today (day 2) I took a few mins out in between unpacking and laundry to spin up about an ounce.  I'm starting to think the real  challenge is going to find spinning time each day!

For some reason, my son doesn't find it entertaining to sit with a skein on his hands while I wind balls by hand.  Go figure.

I use the back of a chair.  Its always ready when I am!

theredhead:  Its a goal of mine to be able to spin silk that fine.  Really amazing!

Great job so far everyone!!! I'm proud to be on the team!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ba Ba Booey
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Portrait Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for People-in-Landscape Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Panoramic Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Night Portrait Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...