A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,329
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 4/25/2008  (Read 3627 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katusha
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008 09:03:46 AM »

lovely color selection!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spinnerchris
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008 05:02:30 PM »

Hi Everyone!
I mostly lurk here, but love looking at what everyone does. After hanging around here, I realized that I would rather be spinning a more "novelty" type yarn, so you all have inspired me. Here are some yarns I have spun lately in preparation for our county fair:

Jacob's Ladder, natural black and white jacob sheep wool carded together with blue and coral ingeo. One ply thick and thin, one ply sort of light DK weight, plyed with black thread. This is from my own flock of sheep.

Ba-Ba Black Sheep (what I say to the sheep now that shearing time is here again!) Natural black shetland/jacob cross carded with iridescent firestar that looks mostly pink. Two plys thick and thin, plyed with black thread with pink sequins. My first add-ins!

Sparkling Water. Unknown wool bought when I first started spinning. Has some shiny stuff carded in. Two thick/thin plys, plyed with an iridescent white thread. My first attempt at a "novelty-style" yarn.

Thanks for all the inspiration I find here. My next step is dyeing- I have plenty of white wool to experiment on.

Chris
THIS ROCKS   Logged
adriennec
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008 06:13:04 PM »

Oooh, spinnerchris, I really like sparkling water!  It looks so squishy and great.

I also love ALL of the bamboo - definitely a fibre I must try, and soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cloudlover

I should be spinning...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008 07:15:48 PM »

Ack I'm late!  I've been super busy trying to find a roommate for the month of May, so stress & cleaning = not lots of time for fiber fun.

I've been trying to explore the different techniques/styles of yarn spinning, so here are some patchwork style yarns:
This one is freshly done, and unnamed for now; I'm working on a second matching skein:

I called this one Route 66, because it reminds me of sunny hot desert days:

And this is Little Mermaid, a small skein of blues, greens, and purples with some fuschia:

Here's my first try at a not-overly spun single, using a Terra Bella Spun batt called fruits of the forest:

And here is the one that I was working on last week, all finished up.  "Water Hyacinth" roving from Mary Jane's Attic on Etsy, spun worsted-ish weight, 222 yds, took me FOREVER- I call it Tea Party:

Happy Weekend, all!  You've got me wanting to try bamboo and other plant fibers now!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Garth Stein: Book That Changed My Life
Andrew D. Kaufman: Book That Changed My Life
Q&A with Checkpoint Blogger Dan Lamothe
Behind the Book: Mrs. Poe
Behind the Book: The Invisible Bridge
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...