A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bamboo Tile Pendants - Children's Book Images (Tutorials added)  (Read 9082 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftZombie
« on: July 06, 2007 03:03:58 PM »

I finally got around to making some bamboo tile pendants. I still have to add the chains, but I got impatient and wanted to post them asap! The images are from old children's books. I coated the tops with resin for that really glossy look. I was having trouble with resin seeping through and ruining my images a few months ago. I recently switched to Aleene's Instant Decoupage Glue instead and I love it soooo much better than Mod Podge. It really seems to protect the image from the resin a lot better.

So.... what do you think??

http://craftzombie.com/images/crafts/pend1.jpg

http://craftzombie.com/images/crafts/pend2.jpg

(HOW TO MAKE THE PENDANTS IS ON PAGE 1. HOW TO WRAP THE WIRE IS ON PAGE 3.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012 03:22:02 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sirensrising
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007 03:07:20 PM »

They look fantastic! Really glossy and totally professional. Lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
astroguyaz
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007 03:17:09 PM »

Those are really cool. Care to share how you made them? Smiley  I want to try decoumpaging. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bronzfrog
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007 03:31:22 PM »

Those are so cute.    I like the teddy bear at the bottom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HobbyHorseAGoGo.etsy.com
CraftZombie
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007 04:19:41 PM »

Those are really cool. Care to share how you made them? Smiley  I want to try decoumpaging. Smiley

Easy! I wish I had time to do a nice tutorial with pictures and all that good stuff....

1. Get some tiles, dominos, or wood shapes from etsy, ebay, michaels, hobby lobby, etc.

2. Cut some images to the right sizes for your tiles.

3. Get some decoupage glue. I used Aleene's Instant Decoupage Glue this time with much better results.

4. Brush some glue onto the top of the tile and place your image on top. You have to work fast when you do this because this particular glue seems to dry faster than Mod Podge glue.

5. Important!!---- Make sure that you press your image down onto the glued tile tightly. You don't want any bubbles or raised areas on the edges of the image. You want the image completely flat against the tile. This glue is thinner though and doesn't make your image as soggy as Mod Podge does, so bubbles are less likely. (Geez, I sound like an Aleene's Rep. or something. I swear, I am not affiliated!)

6. Wait around 5 minutes for it to dry completely and then brush more glue on top of the image.

7. Again, wait for it to dry and keep adding more coats of glue to the image until you are satisfied, letting it dry between coats. I put around 4 or 5 coats because I knew I was going to coat them with resin eventually and wanted to make sure the resin did not ruin the image. You can stop here if you wish. I coated mine with resin because I didn't like seeing the brush stroke lines you will get from the glue. I am anal about these things.

8. I used a different kind of resin than usual. I usually use Easy Cast resin, but this time I used Decorators Solution. I just followed the directions for mixing it, but instead of pouring it on, I brushed gobs of it on and pushed it around with the brush until the top was completely covered with a thick coat. Let them dry for 24 hours and they're finished! I put them in the oven (don't turn it on!) to keep them dust-free for the 24 hours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miserylovesme
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007 04:26:18 PM »

Very cute. Do you have a jigsaw?  Smiley You could have some fun with these making them into the shapes of the animals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dopey_44
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007 05:58:46 PM »

these came out great and thanks for the instructions. I bought a whole bunch and didn't know how to use them with the 2 holes now i do thanks a bunch.
Mel
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007 05:59:57 PM by dopey_44 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/dopey44/

http://www.wists.com/dopey_44

love to spoil when i swap Smiley
i also LOVE popcorn mmmm Popcorn
CraftZombie
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007 06:11:11 PM »

Very cute. Do you have a jigsaw?  Smiley You could have some fun with these making them into the shapes of the animals.

No jigsaws over here, although when I finally get my house, I will gladly fill up my garage with all kinds of devices I can hurt myself with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
red_phooka
Geek

I <3 Zombies!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007 08:45:00 PM »

These are so sweet. Thanks so much for the instructions - I have been so inspired by the many cool pendants aboard Craftster as of late.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

polkadotdog
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007 03:28:16 PM »

Those are so adorable!  Did you make copies of the images and resize them to get them so small, or are they cut directly from a book?  If so, what type/size of book?  The images in most of my collection are too large to use for this type of application....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want something sparkly and fun??  Click here!!   www.polkadotdog.etsy.com

Looking for some original and unusual art?  Here's some!  www.artbystu.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Grill Salmon and Chicken Satay
How to Break Down Salmon and Chicken Satay
Salmon and Chicken Satay Recipe
How to Shape and Bake Naan Bread
How to Mix the Dough for Naan Bread
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...