A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to use a walking foot?  (Read 575 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« on: July 06, 2007 12:21:28 PM »

Ok so I recently acquired a "new to me" sewing machine that came to me with a walking foot.  Yeah!  I am putting together a quilt that is just a top backed with polar fleece, no batting.  It therefore does not need a lot of quilting, but I wanted to do some straight lines around the major sections of the quilt.  Oh and I am a hand quilter and know nothing of machine quilting things.

So first go I just used a regular presser foot and that worked but was slightly painful.  I put on the walking foot and...

I think it works better, but I'm still really tugging the quilt through the machine and my stich length varies atrociously.  Is that just what I can expect?  I mean I know I can learn to control the stitch length with practice, but I guess I was just expecting things to go easier with the walking foot.  Could it have to do with the polar fleece being hard for the feed dogs to grab?  Or something?  Was I going to fast maybe?  I would love to hear anyone's walking foot experience, so I can get some perspective on this. I mean this particular piece it does not matter at all what the quilting looks like, but I would like to someday be able to do nice looking quilting with my walking foot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007 01:11:21 PM »

The purpose of a walking foot is to move the top and bottom through the machine together so they don't stretch or pull on either side.  If you have to pull the layers through, maybe your presser foot pressure is too tight?  Also try lengthening your stitch length.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007 09:34:30 AM »

Thanks!  Adjusting the presser foot pressure did help a lot.  The stitch length is better - but it's sttil pretty erattic, tho!   Huh  Maybe from here I just need practice...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007 01:13:59 PM »

Glad that helped some.  Try making sure the front of the quilt (the side being fed into the machine) is not pulling or hanging down.  The weight can make your stitches tight and irregular.  Try accordian folding it so that the whole weight is supported by the table and your hands/body, or throwing it over your shoulder so it is supported.  Also, try to work on a space big enough so it isn't hanging in the back either.  If you have a small area, try placing your ironing board on the back side to catch the quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Philippa Gregory Talks About Margaret Beaufort
Lauren Strasnick Reveals the Inspiration Behind Her Book Nothing Like You
Author Jon Scieszka Talks About Spoonfuls of Stories
The World of Philippa Gregory
Peter Akinti Talks About Forest Gate
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...