A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with craft camp ideas (there are teen boys coming)!!!  (Read 1839 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpottedFrog
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007 04:59:03 PM »

I did batik earlier this summer with 5 kids- ranging from my younger daughter who is 3 to the oldest 2 boys at 8 & 10. we used a mini crock pot to melt the wax. A Crock Pot brand "Little Dipper" to be exact- it worked great. Took a while to melt but kept it melted low enough to not be a serious burn hazard. A manicurist wax melter would do the same.

The dying part was a blast but it takes more than an hour. If you only have one hour a day for Arts & Crafts use 2 days for tye dying, first day tie & dye- leave to set overnight- then next day do the rinsing & hanging up to dry. If your class is early enough they can take them home at the end of the day.

Old school traditional Native American crafts (drums, necklaces, headwear, beading) have plenty of appeal with older boys when presented right. I have seen boys learn all the dances because they were proud to learn & perform things only 'men' were traditionally allowed to do. They sorta forgot they were dancing, and wearing a lot less clothes than normal too ; )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007 09:00:34 PM »

Don't forget the Sunday paper always has Michael's coupons! (I think this is nation wide  Huh )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
aliasgracie
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007 09:05:43 PM »

Thanks everyone!  I think I have the line up any critiquing would be appreciated:  Hacky Sack (socks), Duct Tape wallets, Marble magnets (bigger), Shrinky Dink buttons, terra cotta pencil holders.  Lame? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Common sense is the collection of prejudices
- Albert Einstein

50 things 6/50
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007 11:54:01 AM »

You have papier mache bowls, how about magazine bowls? There's a tutorial in the Home board somewhere. Great for using up all those magazines too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
melimay
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2007 11:58:15 AM »

I have two words for you: Hemp Macrame.  I had the same problem a few years ago. 45 teenage boys and 2 days to plan a weeks worth of activities.  The hemp went over extremely well.  They wanted to do extra  later on in the camp.  I did the same thing with younger boys a few weeks earlier and they were able to do it no problem.  If you don't know how PM me and i'll send you soem info.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
linzo

yep, I'm holding a rooster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2007 04:29:00 PM »

I was a camp counselor for 5 summers... don't let those boys rock your boat. Yes, there may be resistance but it isn't anything you can't get through.
You have some awesome stuff lined up, you have put a lot of thought and effort into planning all the projects. Just remember to have fun with your job and the campers will to. Smiley

And don't be too afraid of those teen boys... talk to them and show a little interest in what they are doing, I think a lot of times they act that way because they worry that they won't be good at crafts or whatever. But I think you have done a really great job choosing things that they could easily do things that suit their own tastes.
If you make examples of your projects maybe make some in colors or themes they may be interested in.

Don't worry too much they are really not too terrible, sometimes the ones I thought were going to be a pain in my butt were really awesome kids Grin
Good luck I am sure you will do great Wink

p.s. if you have leftover time... do the origami, they will love it. extra bonus points for you if you let the older boys (girls too) choose the ones they want to do and look out of your book or photocopies
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007 04:34:19 PM by linzo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/linzo

...but for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, and count every beautiful thing we can see...
- Neutral Milk Hotel
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Warm Up for Calligraphy
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - C, O, E
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - I, L, J, R, F, T
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - P, B, K
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - N, H, M, U, A, D, G, Q
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...