A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,795
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need to knit a USCG Uniform (long story)  (Read 2327 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

NO, I don't know karate.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2007 03:33:55 PM »

Meet Station Tybee Island's Boatswains Mate, Third Class Petty Officer Samson (I guess that's how his name is spelled, I forgot to ask).

Yes, he is a sworn in, official member of the US Coast Guard, in fact, he is the same rank as my husband (so my husband is hauling booty to make BM2 before Samson does).  But, Sammy doesn't have a uniform, he could very well be Masted for that (not really, but it could happen). 
I decided to knit him an ODU, which looks like this (on my husband, the other BM3):

Just the top of course, I'd like to include the collar and the pockets (though they'll be false pockets, just to keep it regulation), above which are tags.  On the left goes his name, and above the right goes "US COAST GUARD."  I plan on using KnitPicks Shine Sport (http://www.knitpicks.com/Shine+Sport_YD5420122.html) in River, and Cream for the lettering.  A cotton blend is best due to the warm weather we have, most of the time.

So I would like to ask Craftsters for in finding Samson a (preferrably) free dog sweater pattern, something I can alter a bit, and for a medium size dog (full grow lab, very lean... has to pass those fitness tests, you know).  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading!

Here is a link to the USCG's past and present mascots (although it hasn't been updated recently.  The video on Sinbad is so awesome, please take the time to watch it):

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007 03:54:09 PM »

First:  great dog!

I don't have a specific answer for you, but if the dog is going to be on/near water with a potential for falling in, you might want to consider going with a lightweight wool to keep him warm in the water until they can get to him.  Hmm, maybe two sweaters, one for the shore and one for the boat?  Wink

KnittingPatternCentral.com has a ton of dog sweaters in the "Pets" section.  If you have or can get a copy of Stitch N Bitch Nation, there's a cute dog sweater in there as well that you can try on the dog as you go.

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007 04:27:11 PM »

My husband is active duty USCG - he's at LORAN Station Attu, Alaska - apparently they have 3 or 4 dogs at this point...
Other than using USCG nametapes, I'm not thinking of many ideas at this point - maybe an old belt revamped as a dog collar???
It's unusual to see Coasties - I did a double-take when I saw it!!!

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
Dawn Octopus
I wish I had 8 tentacles.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007 04:54:09 PM »

Cute dog! I don't know anything about knitting dog sweaters, but out of personal experience buying dog clothing you probably want to go with a large and not a medium Smiley

Proud pre-adoptive Mother Smiley

Cute but psycho - things even out!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007 05:14:20 PM »

On this page -http://www.freepatterns.com/list.html?cat_id=377 (scroll down a bit)

theres a pattern for a knitted dog tuxedo - maybe you can use the collar and basic shape?? you have to sign up for a free membership to get it though....

and then he took my catnip away!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007 06:12:48 PM »

So excited to follow your progress!!  The whole project just rocks.  Smiley

Thanks for the cool links; i wasn't able to find VIDEO on Sinbad, though. Sad Did I miss it some how?

NO, I don't know karate.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007 06:30:53 PM »

Thanks for the help everyone!

Mnemosyne_LA:  I do have Stitch N Bitch Nation!  I forgot about that pattern because when I picked up the book, and even now, I don't have a dog.  But I thought it would be so awesome to knit Sammy a uniform!  Thanks!  And I did find a Dog Sweater Customizer thing on Knitting Pattern Central, I may go that route.

selkie:  Yeah, don't run into too many Coasties here!  When I figure the pattern out and get things going, I write it down so maybe you can knit for all those puppies!  LOL!  You'd have you're work cut out for you.  Wool would be a must.

Isabella000:  I should have checked again.  They did have a full video, on CoastGuardChannel.com, but they took it off because there coming out with a DVD for Sinbad.  I'm sorry!

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007 06:58:38 PM »

I didn't pick through the site too much, but this looks promising...

Good luck and make sure to post action pics when it's done!  Grin

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007 04:46:52 AM »

Would acrylic yarn be out of the question?  I was just thinking.. 'ease in cleaning' and I wouldn't want all of your hard work ruined because of washing or DRYING.  Cheesy 

You could buy some 'webbing' for the name tags and either handstitch the words.. or use that slick paint if you think you could do a nice thin line neatly with it?

And, buy some 'fray check' for the edges if you don't stitch the edges down so the name tags won't unravel.

Good luck w/ it. 

I've got a brand new blog:  *I'm one with the masses now!

*Life and adventues of an American living overseas who finds time to knit every now and then.

NO, I don't know karate.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007 07:51:50 PM »

Hmmm, I have the pattern set up in my mind and I'm pretty much ready to start... But I'm having a hard time deciding on yarn.  I said I would be using Knit Picks Shine Sport, but it's not the right blue, needs to be darker.

I'd like to keep cotton in the mix (we're in Georgia, if that helps), and machine washable is very, very good.  I say that because if Sammy gets it dirty (and he has been known to roll around on dead deer carcases), I doubt one of the Coastie is going to stop and think, "Let me call *DropKickGrl* about how to wash this."

Any suggestions?

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Bridge CS3 in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Manage Colors in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Customize Menus and Shortcuts in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Customize the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Workspace
How to Customize the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Interfaces
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...