A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Color changing problems (with pic)  (Read 843 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Petunia0384
« on: July 05, 2007 12:58:28 PM »

I tried searching, but I couldn't find anything...  Possibly because I don't know what to call my problem.

I decided to make a Ribbed for Her Pleasure scarf from Stitch n Bitch for my second knitting project in my school colors.  Everything was going fine until I decided to change colors.  I didn't learn how to change in my knitting class at Michael's, so I followed the directions in Stitch n Bitch.  That went pretty well, until this happened...

What did I do wrong to make the colors do that?  Huh  More importantly, is there a way to fix it and make the color transition more seamless?  I decided to stop and come here to ask.  Obviously, it's very noticeable since the colors are complete opposites, but I'm hoping that means someone will be able to see what I did wrong and help me fix it. Smiley  Any help is appreciated!  Thanks in advance.  Grin

Edited to add: This is a few stitches into the second row of the new color.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010 09:35:06 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
ignorantamoeba

Hazel and Agnes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007 01:54:18 PM »

You didn't do anything wrong, its just what happens when you change colors :-/ .
I don't know if there's a way to fix it, honestly.  I'm pretty sure though that it won't be noticeable when you look at the scarf as a whole.  Don't worry about it, I never do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Star217
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007 02:03:53 PM »

When knitting in Stockinette the purl side has that issue and the knit side does not. When knitting in garter the side you switch colors on looks fine but the backside has that little stripe. There's really nothing you can do about it. All knitted garments have that issue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007 02:15:26 PM »

I've read that when you change color in ribbing, you should do the change row plain (either all purl or all knit) and then start the ribbing again.  That way, you then have a "right side" and a "wrong side," and the weird bumps become the wrong side.

Or just call it a design element and move on.   Wink  It actually looks kinda cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Petunia0384
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007 03:28:53 PM »

I've read that when you change color in ribbing, you should do the change row plain (either all purl or all knit) and then start the ribbing again.  That way, you then have a "right side" and a "wrong side," and the weird bumps become the wrong side.

Or just call it a design element and move on.   Wink  It actually looks kinda cool.

Yeah, I don't think it would bother me if they were all stripes on the same "wrong side" but the fact that it does it on the purls, it looks like (maybe?) and not the knits kinda bugs me.  I'll just take those two rows out and see what it looks like the other way...  I may not like it breaking the ribbing either, but ya never know til you try. Smiley

Thank you all for your help.  I'm glad to know I'm not crazy. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

amyb444
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007 10:41:21 PM »

I've read that when you change colors in a rib, you knit the entire first row with the new color. (Does that make sense?) Once you get the rest of the rib done, those knits where they should be purls will just kind of disappear against the ribbing. I don't know this for a fact since I've never tried it, but I think I read it in Donna Kooler or Nicky Epstein's book, so I think it must have some merit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancingbarefoot
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007 01:50:00 AM »

I've read that when you change colors in a rib, you knit the entire first row with the new color. (Does that make sense?) Once you get the rest of the rib done, those knits where they should be purls will just kind of disappear against the ribbing.

It's true. I've done it and it looks a lot better than purling the new color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
Petunia0384
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007 08:50:36 AM »

I've read that when you change colors in a rib, you knit the entire first row with the new color. (Does that make sense?) Once you get the rest of the rib done, those knits where they should be purls will just kind of disappear against the ribbing.

It's true. I've done it and it looks a lot better than purling the new color.

Yes, that's how I ended up fixing it, because doing it the pattern way put a stripe on both sides.  The break in the pattern for a row isn't very noticeable (certainly not as noticeable as broken stripes on both sides).

Thanks for your help, everyone.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

Cat Loving Knitter
Knit 1 Purrl 2

This is my cat, Dexter! :)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007 09:44:03 AM »

Was the stripe in ribbing? Because if it wasn't, all you had to do was change it on a right side row.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love knitting! (and cats)
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007 11:47:12 AM »

ahh phooey!! That totally explains what happened in my little sweater!!  I was seed stitching though...and it looks wonky.  I should have just knit across!!  Oh well. I'm so not ripping it out!! My friend won't care anyway! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Contagious: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger
Crafting Contagious Content Using Triggers
Crafting Contagious Content Using Social Currency
Crafting Contagious Content Using the Public
Crafting Contagious Content with Practical Values
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...