A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to organize my sewing stuff??  (Read 1343 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: July 04, 2007 05:20:01 PM »

So, I recently (like last week) started picking up sewing again. I used to sew a decent amount, nothing very difficult but I can follow a basic pattern for purses, pajama pants, baby clothes, and skirts. My current problem is trying to organize my new and old accessories/notions/fabric stash. I have 2 craft rooms (well one is a spare room, one is the laundry room, but the crafting is really taking over) but they are pretty much already filled with soap making and crocheting stuff.

Right now my thread and notions are in a big tangle in a few drawers in a built in desk in the laundry room, and my fabric and patterns are in huge rubber maid totes.

Does anybody have any good ideas/pictures of how they organize their sewing room, or suggestions on how to get/keep everything together, easy to find, and easy to see?  I bought a bobbin keeper the other day by Grabbit, it is much better than box style bobbin keepers....that is the kind of thing I am looking for I think! Any ideas on thread holders/organizers? Any help/suggestions/pics welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
sarinaIStheBOMB
yes?

this is the first day of my life...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007 05:21:25 PM »

haha my sewing stuff is totally unorganize too.
i tried organizing it at first but after a while i just kind gave up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you know you're in love when you can't sleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007 05:24:28 PM »

Yoink: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=175648.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mishti
amateur transmogrifier

Under There?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007 05:43:41 PM »

oh man, good link Violaceous! 

Mine is a little organized, not more due to lack of funds.  But!  Any sort of little container works; if it has drawers it's even better.  I have a box from Hobby Lobby @ 50% off where I keep my little notions and a funky table that opens for my zippers, ribbons, etc.  Fabric, well...that's in 3 *very full* rubbermaids. Cool

Keep like with like; zippers, ribbon/rickrack, needles (check out the needlebooks around here for great ideas on those), and other helpful notions should all be kept separate from each other so you don't have to sort through lots of stuff to find  a little thing.  Also, keep anything that can get tangled corralled.  You'll save so much time if you organize it right off. 

If you're into quilting/using more than one fabric as a display piece in  a project, my mom puts matching/coordinating fabrics in a ziploc bag.  And keep everything dry!  I put my machine in our garage because I couldn't make it work and the bobbin case rusted.  Damn humidity. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am mebellus on Ravelry
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007 06:15:25 PM »

Thanks for all the hints! Basically it seems so daunting I'm kinda scared to start! I do have a really cool mini...thing? with 3 drawers that I used to keep scrapbook die cuts and stuff in, since I'm not scrapbooking currently (well not for the last couple years!) I should use that for small notions! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mishti
amateur transmogrifier

Under There?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007 06:42:52 PM »

Also, I tend to keep a lot of empty food containers.  The glass ones are just made for reuse and my house is full of anti-recycling people.  I use salsa jars for lots of stuff, and I have rice in a big pickle jar (a whole 2 lb bag fits in it!).  You can use scrap ribbon/yarn to tie up your tangly bits. 

And, if you are so inclined, sort through your stash to see what you have every now and then.  It might inspire you to make stuff!  I know it works for me. 

I recently reorganized my stuff; I got a ton of fruit boxes from the grocery store.  Most have lids and handles!  Some are small, but perfect for tiny or flat stuff.  Apple boxes are huge and I ended up with styrofoam things with cups in them like egg cartons, for transporting unbruised apples.  I threw them away but I'm sure they could be used for some organizing thing.   

I'm such a freak about organizing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am mebellus on Ravelry
sarinaIStheBOMB
yes?

this is the first day of my life...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007 10:35:39 PM »

ikea has a really cool table that folds in and out and it has 6 drawers and it's ubber cute.
it's so tiny it can fit anywhere.

yea that's all i can think of.
or maybe you can try a tote bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you know you're in love when you can't sleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007 12:06:36 AM »

oooh Ikea! We have one opening up here soon, maybe this month? I've never been to one, I will look for that table! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007 05:13:14 AM »

In my experience, anything "small and cute" designed for craft storage will quickly get overwhelmed. :-D But IKEA has soooo much organization stuff. Like a third of the store is places to put things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maggie2187
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007 01:10:09 PM »

So, I recently (like last week) started picking up sewing again. I used to sew a decent amount, nothing very difficult but I can follow a basic pattern for purses, pajama pants, baby clothes, and skirts. My current problem is trying to organize my new and old accessories/notions/fabric stash. I have 2 craft rooms (well one is a spare room, one is the laundry room, but the crafting is really taking over) but they are pretty much already filled with soap making and crocheting stuff.

Right now my thread and notions are in a big tangle in a few drawers in a built in desk in the laundry room, and my fabric and patterns are in huge rubber maid totes.

Does anybody have any good ideas/pictures of how they organize their sewing room, or suggestions on how to get/keep everything together, easy to find, and easy to see?  I bought a bobbin keeper the other day by Grabbit, it is much better than box style bobbin keepers....that is the kind of thing I am looking for I think! Any ideas on thread holders/organizers? Any help/suggestions/pics welcome!

I found http://www.younge.com/sewing%20rooms.htm

maybe that will help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canvas Painting Lesson with Adnan Aybek
Supervillain Origins: Sinestro
Superhero Origins: The Green Hornet
Supervillain Origins: Hector Hammond
Superhero Origins: The Green Lantern
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...