A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,702
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wedding garter with quasi pattern  (Read 20796 times)
Tags for this thread: garter , pattern , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: July 04, 2007 10:29:29 AM »

Global moderator Sweets4ever is getting married in August and I was in charge of making her garter. I've never made one before, but now I think I'm hooked (oh Im so punny)!

Her accent color is this deep, rich red. I think her shoes will be red, and I figured.. sexy red garter! It's a nice pop of color for her fiance Wink

(ignore the string on the right hand side of that last one. I havent woven in the ends yet)

Its elastic so the ribbon (which is velvet!) is just decorative.

Im thinking of adding small black and crystal seed beads in the space on top of the scallops so they dangle in the center. not sure, though. That might be "too much." I have more beads left over from when I made a red/black/crystal crocheted bracelet for her. Opinions on beads or no beads? I think I love it the way it is, but I dont know!

Hope y'all like it! Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012 11:19:48 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
foreversandals
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007 10:45:15 AM »

I love it!
Its so pretty and so different from the typical blue and white ones you see. I wish I had one like this when I got married last summer.

I'm undecided on the beads. They might add that little bit of sparkle that's always nice. But then again, they might annoy the heck out her when she moves around.

I was also wondering if you had a pattern. I have a friend getting married on August that I was thinking of making a garter for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs:
- Crochet: Baby Blanket
- Scrapbooking: Ongoing scrapbook
- Body: Creating a baby!!

http://www.wists.com/foreversandals
http://beautythroughthelens.wordpress.com [my photoblog]
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007 10:45:30 AM »

beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007 10:50:26 AM »

Wow, you did an awesome job! (as usual!) I love the colors. That would have been perfect for my wedding too.  Cheesy I say no beads. Just because it might feel like a bug got up the dress, then the disasterous "get the bug out" dance ensues, and she knocks the candlabra onto the minister and he falls down, rolling down the aisle, taking all the decorations with him, thus wasting a lot of smooching time with Mr. Sweets because the decorations need to be set back up while the minister is checked for a concussion. I'm just sayin'...  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007 10:51:11 AM »

I love it!
Its so pretty and so different from the typical blue and white ones you see. I wish I had one like this when I got married last summer.

I'm undecided on the beads. They might add that little bit of sparkle that's always nice. But then again, they might annoy the heck out her when she moves around.

I was also wondering if you had a pattern. I have a friend getting married on August that I was thinking of making a garter for.

Thanks! No pattern, sorry. I cut a length of elastic that would stretch comfortably around her leg, sewed the ends together to form a ring, then single crocheted double stranded around. When I did that, I made sure there were a lot of stitches so when it stretched there wasn't too much blank space and that the design would be large enough to fit around her leg when it was stretched out. The second row is entirely quadruple crochet (or whatever stitch is tall enough to weave the ribbon through)... the third row is called Iris stitch, which is basically just 2 dc in the same stitch, chain one, 2 dc in the same stitch, skip three stitches, repeat... the fourth row is the same (double crochet in the "chain one" spaces of the previous row). The fifth row sc in chain one from precious row, chain 6, repeat all the way around. The sixth row is 8 sc around each chain. thats it! Cheesy

haha i guess that technically constitutes a pattern! I suppose I can put my post under the crochet tutorial list now Tongue Cheesy

Wow, you did an awesome job! (as usual!) I love the colors. That would have been perfect for my wedding too.  Cheesy I say no beads. Just because it might feel like a bug got up the dress, then the disasterous "get the bug out" dance ensues, and she knocks the candlabra onto the minister and he falls down, rolling down the aisle, taking all the decorations with him, thus wasting a lot of smooching time with Mr. Sweets because the decorations need to be set back up while the minister is checked for a concussion. I'm just sayin'...  Cheesy

HAH! thats why I told her no beads initially, but then I thought beads might be a cute touch.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007 10:51:47 AM by vanillaxlight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jMi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007 11:27:12 AM »

LOVE it!! Wow thats so good! I would kill for half your talent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007 12:53:34 PM »

Hehehee!  I'm the luckiest gal ever! Grin

It's B-E-A-utiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007 12:54:39 PM »

Im so glad you like it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007 12:58:52 PM »

Im so glad you like it Cheesy

LOVE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
foreversandals
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007 01:29:47 PM »

Thanks! No pattern, sorry. I cut a length of elastic that would stretch comfortably around her leg, sewed the ends together to form a ring, then single crocheted double stranded around. When I did that, I made sure there were a lot of stitches so when it stretched there wasn't too much blank space and that the design would be large enough to fit around her leg when it was stretched out. The second row is entirely quadruple crochet (or whatever stitch is tall enough to weave the ribbon through)... the third row is called Iris stitch, which is basically just 2 dc in the same stitch, chain one, 2 dc in the same stitch, skip three stitches, repeat... the fourth row is the same (double crochet in the "chain one" spaces of the previous row). The fifth row sc in chain one from precious row, chain 6, repeat all the way around. The sixth row is 8 sc around each chain. thats it! Cheesy

haha i guess that technically constitutes a pattern! I suppose I can put my post under the crochet tutorial list now Tongue Cheesy

hehe. that does constitute a pattern! thanks so much.
i'll be sure to post if i end up making it for the wedding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs:
- Crochet: Baby Blanket
- Scrapbooking: Ongoing scrapbook
- Body: Creating a baby!!

http://www.wists.com/foreversandals
http://beautythroughthelens.wordpress.com [my photoblog]
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bacon Wrapped Green Bean Bundles Recipe
Original Cheese Fries Casserole Recipe
Holiday Potato Yeast Rolls Recipe
Thanksgiving Roast Turkey Recipe
Baked Potato Fans Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...