A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Huge Shell stitch Shawl from knitting thread  (Read 14307 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , shawl , wrap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 24, 2004 09:46:34 PM »

Ok, a while back Sugaree posted a thread in the knitting section:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=13996.0
regarding a shawl she saw and wanted to make.  She doesn't crochet, and because I said it looked pretty easy, she asked me to make her one.  And I did.  And I sent it to her without writing down what I'd done.  But I remembered, and made another, and THIS time, I kept notes.  Sadly, the link to the original "Free People" shawl no longer seems to be working.  I guess they sold out.  But I found it here:
http://www.bananamoononline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2802&MMP=1
It's the grey bit.  It isn't nearly so pretty as it looked in the other link, but I think it has to do with the color under it, and the way that model is standing.

So, here is my version:

http://www.lothruin.com/shawl.jpg
(If the pic doesn't show, copy and paste http://www.lothruin.com/shawl.jpg into your browser)
Forgive the bad pic, the lighting was terrible.  It's really lovely in person.  Just ask Sugaree.

So, I've been quite pleased with this shawl, and several other knitting non-crocheters have asked me to make them one, which I'm glad to do.  But, I also am really excited about my first-ever own pattern (even if it was based on another item) and wanted to share.  I hope you can make heads or tails of it.  I wrote it as I went, and haven't actually tried to USE it.  If you have any questions, direct them to me and I'll answer them as best I can.  I've never really USED many patterns before, so I'm sure there are some technical aspects of writing the pattern that I missed, and I'm also sure there were some things it was difficult for me to explain, and I have no idea if there is some standard protocol for them.  It should be noted that the pattern and this prototype are not identical.  I made some refinements on the second model.  

Using Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick (2 balls) and 1 size Q crochet hook, chain 45.

Row 1:  Turn and sc into second chain from hook.  Sc across.  Ch 2.

Row 2:  Dc into first sc, *ch, skip one sc, dc into next sc.*  Repeat from * to * across.  Ch 1.

Row 3:  Sc across row, increasing 5 stitches evenly spaced.  Ch 3.

Row 4:  Tr into first sc.  Skip 1 sc.  *3 tr into next sc.  Skip 2 sc.*  Repeat from * to * across row, to last sc.  Tr 2 in last sc.  Ch 1.

Row 5:  Sc 1 in each of first 2 tr.  *1 Sc in space between 2 groups of 3 tr.  (This sc is worked in place of working it into the next tr.  The tr is worked around rather than into.  *sigh*  I hope I'm explaining this correctly.  If it is confusing, you can just work sc into every tr across row instead.  Working it as written just makes the groups of tr more pronounced.)  Sc in next two stitches.*  Repeat from * to * across row.  2 sc in last stitch.  Ch 3.

Row 6:  Tr into first sc.  Skip 1 sc.  *3 Tr into next sc.  Skip 2 sc.*  Repeat from * to * across row, to 2nd to last sc.  2 tr into 2nd to last sc.  1 tr into last sc.  Ch 1.

Row 7:  Sc across row as above, working one sc in space between tr groups, every third sc.  Ch 3.

Row 8:  Tr in first 2 sc. *Skip two sc. 3 tr in next sc.*  Repeat from * to * across row to 3rd sc from end.  3 tr in 3rd sc from end.  Skip 1 sc.  2 tr in last sc.  Ch 1.

Row 9:  Sc across row as above, working one sc in space between tr groups, every third sc.  Ch 2.

Row 10:  Dc in each sc across row.  Ch 2.

Row 11:  Work 3 dc into first dc.  Skip 1 dc.  Slip stitch in next dc.  *Ch 3 and work 3 dc into same stitch as slip stitch.  Skip 1 dc.  Slip stitch in next dc.*  Repeat from * to * to end of row, ending with a slip stitch in last stitch.  Tie off and weave in ends.

The finishing touch is to weave a ribbon or two through the double crochet row up top.  (Row 2.)  Note: A good stiff ribbon in just over 1" works best.  Filmy organza ribbons would look lovely if they stayed flat, but they don't.  Velvet, stiff satin, etc would work well.  I used a nice asian-inspired multicolor satin brocade ribbon.  The inspiration used both satin and velvet.  I've also used some extra yarn to knit up a giant matching flower, then used that with a hair stick as a brooch to hold the shawl closed.  Looks lovely.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013 09:58:44 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
hudelei
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004 03:14:31 AM »

That is very cool!  It reminds me of the Paris Loop that was all over the knitting boards for a while and my own attempt to recreate one when I had Paris Loop-envy.  I think, looking at yours, I should maybe have made mine a little looser and a little longer.  As it is it rides up like you wouldn't believe and I'm always inches away from wearing a giant yarn necklace.

Maybe I'll try again with this pattern!  Thanks for posting it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004 08:24:06 AM »

Thanks, Hudelei.  This thing crochets up in about 2 hours, 3 if you've got a toddler.  It's about as easy as they come.  It is also easily adjusted for size just by chaining more or less.  All the rest of the pattern can really be worked out very easily to adjust for a different number of chain stitches.  Especially once you understand what the pattern is actually trying to accomplish.  The yarn is only about $10 for both skeins (unless you got it on sale, like I did for my second model) and I had enough left over from my second version to make this:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=18086.0
Anyway, this is really a project that requires next to no commitment, because it goes so quickly, so I recommend just going out and starting it, without agonizing over whether you should or not, and then you'll be finished before you have a chance to change your mind.  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004 08:22:22 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

krazigal72

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004 04:07:30 PM »

Lothruin, that looks great!! how long did that take you to make? and i love the ribbon through it, it adds color which is always nice Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004 08:23:39 PM »

Krazigal, the prototype in the pic took about 4 hours of actual work.  The second version, that I wrote the pattern off of, took me about 3 hours of work, but that includes pauses for toddler duty.  I think the thing would work up in about 2 hours, if you could work on it solid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shes crafty
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004 01:07:01 PM »

I love the shawl, but was wondering...

When you say in row 3 to increase 5 stitches evenly spaced, just anywhere on the row, randomly add 5 stitches?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004 01:50:06 PM »

Well, yes.  Saying it that way is easier than writing out sc 1 in x stitches, 2 sc in next sc, etc. I actually also couldn't remember how many stitches between my increases, and that's acceptable in professional patterns, so I went with it.  Smiley  If I recall it's every 7 stitches or somewhere around there.  (Maybe a couple are 7, and a couple are 6.)  But don't just add them in randomly.  They should be evenly spaced. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eakircher

gimme your garbage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004 01:54:20 PM »

really beautiful!  i like yours a lot better than the free people one.  i'm going to try and crochet one from a green fleece bathrobe that I cut up into 'yarn.'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004 01:20:04 AM »

I worked up my own version, but I couldn't have done it without your pattern as a starting point, Lothruin!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog, fingers and toes
candlelight

jewelry & accessories inspired by the candlelight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004 01:54:07 AM »

that is very nice!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Transforming Your Look with a Pop of Color
Look Younger With These Eye Creams and Gels
Sparkly Holiday Makeup Tutorial
6 Simple Ways to Add Glam to Your Style
The Best in Celebrity Beauty This Week
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...