A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 306,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
382 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The general consensus on paint for stenciling fabrics  (Read 1214 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sirensrising
« on: July 03, 2007 07:44:00 PM »

What sort of paint do YOU use to stencil on fabrics?
How does it hold up in the wash?
etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
sarah_christine
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007 07:00:50 PM »

I use Tulip Soft fabric paint (not the puffy kind). I really like the matte colors. So far they have held up great through washing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sirensrising
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007 07:37:03 AM »

Oh cool, because Tulip is what they sell here and I've always dismissed it because I thought it was all the puffy kind. Does that type come in a squeezy tube too? Do you just dab it on with a brush?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
sarah_christine
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007 09:38:32 AM »

Oh cool, because Tulip is what they sell here and I've always dismissed it because I thought it was all the puffy kind. Does that type come in a squeezy tube too? Do you just dab it on with a brush?

Squeezy tube? Hmm I don't know...i've only seen it in bottles. Just make sure it's the "soft" kind. I use a foam brush to apply the paint.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sirensrising
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007 10:04:37 AM »

Okay, I'll look out for that! Thank you!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My artwork at Etsy!
kianee
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007 06:22:14 AM »

foam brush, what a great idea! Smiley I use a normal paint brush, but foam might work even better.

I have 'DEKA' fabric paint, which is a german brand. It's sold in bottles and comes in a more thin and watery solution and a more pasty, soft solution. The pasty stuff is much better than the watery stuff - doesn't run under the edges as much and covers even darker fabrics well.

It has to be ironed after painting, but so far it holds up very well in the wash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sirensrising
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007 06:44:26 PM »

Okay, so I've looked everywhere and I can't find anything. I bought a little tube of squeezy, puffy Tulip stuff with the intention of using a foam brush to paint it on like regular, but maybe because the paint I picked was white (silly me  Roll Eyes) it's not working so well (or maybe I just need to work it up in layers, I've only done the tiniest test so far)

So, I know it's not directly related to stenciling, but what do people think of those puffy fabric paints? I always thought they were kind of amateur looking, has anyone seen some really nice stuff made with them or just otherwise disagree?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My artwork at Etsy!
Era Vera
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007 01:26:13 AM »

I use the same kind usually, the Tulip Matte Soft whatever it is stuff. It comes in a little bottle, like that cheap acrylic craft paint, you know?

I'm not a big fan of the puffy paint as it's meant to be used, I think it usually looks silly. I suppose it might be ok as accents or something, I might try it to add some little details to a stenciled piece. I have used it for stenciling though, and while it's definitely not ideal, it works. My friend bought the wrong paint when we were making this sweatshirt and we just put it on rather thick. If you do that though, don't wait until it dries to take the stencil off, the paint turns sort of plastic-y and your stencil will probably rip, or the paint will pull away from the fabric at the edges. Take it off when it's wet and you avoid these problems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://eravera.blogspot.com/ <-rarely updated crafting blog
http://modaveloce.blogspot.com/ <-fashion-y blog with some diy and photography/art stuff
aliz
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007 04:37:38 AM »

regarding puff paint, I used to work at a craft store and always thought the puffy  paint looked pretty crap. until one of my friends asked me about doing a project for him - he wanted to know whether it was possible to make a braille slogan tshirt (I think he wanted "touch me" or something sleazy like that). So in a quiet moment at work i started experimenting with some stuff and if you can get perfect, round dots with the puff paint (it takes practice), it actually looks pretty damn cool. I haven't done the t shirt but i did discover that the way to make puff paint look good is with dot designs, neat, round practiced dots, and metallic paints on dark colours looked best. just some ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mixed Media Fun
July 27, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...