A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,517
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Italian dinner ideas for a picky boyfreind  (Read 1075 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xxmetal_mistressxx
+you'll rebel to anything+

I am god or at least I smell like it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 03, 2007 01:00:47 PM »

His birthday is coming up. Thank god for craftsters I was able to get help on his gifts which is another story.

But a little background. Going out for 5 years in jan. He doesnt' eat anything. He's italian. Typically what he likes is angelhair pasta, breadsticks and i have no idea. Only marenara sauce no meat sauce not because he's a vegitarian he's just that picki.

Any Ideas on a italian dinner?

I'm working on a dnd cake which should be interesting....  Undecided Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like my coffee black just like my metal.

I make fun plastic jewelry check it out!
www.poisonousporkipine.etsy.com
Love personal swaps!
The 100 atc challenge 5/100. The happy 100 atc challange 0/100
lady_cyanide
too weird to live, too rare to die.

hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007 03:12:04 PM »

the fiance and i are both italian...but i'm the picky one!

..so he only likes angelhair? geeze..it all tastes the same  Tongue
he doesn't even like alfredo sauce?

my mom takes angel hair and throws in some butter, garlic, black pepper, and bacon. i suppose you can do something like that (just no bacon).

start off with a big bowl of marenara and breadsticks, then come in with the pasta. good luck, and i can't wait to see the cake!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

a pile of shit has a thousand eyes.
xxmetal_mistressxx
+you'll rebel to anything+

I am god or at least I smell like it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007 12:58:33 PM »

the fiance and i are both italian...but i'm the picky one!

..so he only likes angelhair? geeze..it all tastes the same  Tongue
he doesn't even like alfredo sauce?

my mom takes angel hair and throws in some butter, garlic, black pepper, and bacon. i suppose you can do something like that (just no bacon).

start off with a big bowl of marenara and breadsticks, then come in with the pasta. good luck, and i can't wait to see the cake!

I'm totally with you i'm italian to. And man it's like a sin not to like alfredo sauce. I can't believe he doesn't like it. It took me so much work to go ahead and get him to try bread sticks AND marenara TOGETHER. He's soo funny.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like my coffee black just like my metal.

I make fun plastic jewelry check it out!
www.poisonousporkipine.etsy.com
Love personal swaps!
The 100 atc challenge 5/100. The happy 100 atc challange 0/100
leslieanne
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007 10:44:39 AM »

A really good alternative to mariana is roasting tomatoes in the oven.  I like to quarter some good tomatoes, chop some garlic, a little salt, pepper, put it in a roasting pan and coat everything in olive oil.  Stick it in the oven and roast it for a while.  (I'd say something like 375, start with maybe 20 minutes and keep checking it from there)  Eventually the tomatoes kind of start to fall apart when you poke them and make saucy goodness.  I like to add some basil in there somewhere, probably half way through the cooking process.  It's a pretty flexible recipe so you can totaly play with it! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007 09:00:42 AM »

Well, it sounds like he knows what he likes and doesn't, and if it's a special occasion do you really want to make him something you don't know he'll like that much? I would just give him his usual pasta. Maybe you can make the breadsticks extra special or something!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady_cyanide
too weird to live, too rare to die.

hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name <3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007 12:58:51 PM »

gardetto's makes an awesome italian recipe blend, not sure if it's new or what, i've just recently discovered them. but you could always get some of those and just keep feeding him until he's full!

or even better, give the bag a few good whacks and get it nice and crumbly, then sprinkle the crumbs over some sort of pasta.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a pile of shit has a thousand eyes.
NoThimbles
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007 05:37:21 PM »

I don't know if he would eat this, but I have been making a light sort of pasta sauce lately that is good with angel hair. Basically, I take a bit of olive oil (no good at measuring, but make sure it's enough for you to toss your pasta with) and heat it up on the stove. While it's heating, I chop up a couple cloves of garlic very finely and I shave off some mild onion like vidalia (really only need a little) and then I crush some fennel  seeds with my mortar and pestle and that all goes into the olive oil to be sauteed. Also rosemary and basil are good additions here. while that sautees, cook your pasta and then drain it, of course, then toss it with the olive oil mixture and top it with parmesan or mozzarella cheese. The fennel and herbs help tone down the spiciness of the garlic and onion. Because it is olive oil based, it is nice and light and not a heavy cream or tomato or meat sauce. And the cheese, well cheese has no function other than just being wonderful melty gooey glory.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stargzr091072
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007 05:42:48 PM »

I made this for my family the other day and they loved it. I got pork but you can get chicken or veal or whatever...and i used the Parmesan shake n bake crust mix (yeah its cheating) and I cooked it in the oven.  I took a small can of tomato sauce and can of Italian style diced tomatoes, mixed them together and heated them in saucepan. I added some Italian seasoning.... I cooked the shake n baked pork according to the directions but during the last five minutes I sprinkled with mozzarella cheese.  When I took it out of the oven I spooned some of the tomato mixture on it....

I served this with angel hair pasta, a french baguette bread which I heated up to get crispy, and individual saucers of olive oil with spices. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
disposableactor
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007 02:59:38 PM »

If you can, I would ask his mother or father (or other close relation).  One of them might be able to let you in on a favorite childhood recipe or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold the Head of an Origami Paper Crane
How to Fold an Origami Bird Base
How to Make a Simple Paper Booklet
How to Fold an Origami Paper Booklet
How to Make a Simple Paper Airplane with a Tail
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...