A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My self-portrait (I take too many pictures)  (Read 583 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sirensrising
« on: July 02, 2007 08:10:01 PM »

...And I ramble a lot too! You can skip all this if you want, just a bit of backstory:

This is one of the only major finished pieces I've done, really. I didn't bother with a background, and it also unfortunately got quite smudged before I had a chance to spray it.

The assignment was to do a self-portrait that showed more than just your appearance, that showed a little bit about yourself too. I really love art and art history, so I decided to do mine in (what I hope to be Tongue) a sort of Renaissance-style portrait. I wanted it to look sort of academic, hence the book: it was originally supposed to say "Vasari" (the first major art historian) but in the end I had neither the time nor will. I picked the top because I thought it could pass for sort of old-fashioned and peasant-y, but all my friends thought I was stripping (thanks guys). I guess that would have been overtly sexual back in the day but it didn't really occur to me. I also left out my glasses, which makes it look less like me because I never actually take them off. Honestly, it doesn't really look much like me anyway, but it was a really enjoyable project, probably my biggest to date, and I learned a lot. And the medium was just perfect!

Anyway on to the pictures! I took like 20 so it's hard to know which ones to post Tongue As with most pictures of art, it's really hard to get a good one, so some of them are a bit skewed or whatever. If there's anything you'd like to see more of, or a detail of, or anything, please let me know! I love taking copious amounts of photos  Grin

Joan Crawford eyebrows  Tongue I screwed up a lot with the eyes and had to redo them several times (as well as the eyebrows) so they're nowhere near as clear and bright as I'd have liked.

I can't really find any photo of me for reference, and like I say, I took a couple of liberties to make it more stylised/Renaissance-y. Plus I've gotten a haircut since then, and like I say, I wear thick black/brown framed glasses. Not to mention self-portraits are always difficult anyway because you always want to hide your flaws!

It was done with coloured cont and chalky pastels...if you have any questions, please ask!

Thanks for looking!  Smiley

Edited to add: these pictures are about a year old-ish, but they're the best I can do right now. It's 4:30am  Tongue Crackster indeed.

(sorry for looking so stupidly emo and glum, but in most of my photos I'm smiling so...)

Heh, I hope they don't make you realise how little it looks like me  Wink Remember that they're old. I thought I'd throw them in there anyway but really the picture is a stand-alone piece.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007 08:31:00 PM by sirensrising » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
cigarettesandvalentines
Red ships of Spain!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007 08:30:54 PM »

beautiful
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Someone has to go back and get a shitload of dimes."

Personal Swaps? Love 'em! Drop me a PM

etsy! http://www.etsy.com/shop/historystuffed

http://hamiltonsstupidhat.blogspot.com/
meanderingartist

Gotta love Gary Larson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007 11:30:53 PM »

Very nice work
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC 100 Themes Challenge  13/100
reese52
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007 04:38:41 AM »

Very nice.  What did you use to create it?  Is that colored pencils?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sirensrising
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007 06:10:46 AM »

Thanks guys!

It's done with coloured conts and soft pastels (not the oily kind, the chalky kind which are very similar to cont, if not basically the same thing). Both sets are Cont a Paris brand, and they were lovely to work with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Take a Walk with Best-Selling Author Jonathan Eig
Philippa Gregory Discusses Perkin Warbeck in the White Queen
Author Rhonda Stapleton Talks About Stupid Cupid
Brad Thor Discusses the Last Patriot
The Hollow Trilogy Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...