A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with 4th of July BBQ  (Read 1367 times)
Tags for this thread: salad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meepum

^me and j9crafts. yeah. I'm a superhero.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2007 02:39:03 PM »

OK! So 4th of July in two days! I'm BBQing for some friends... about 8 people in total. Here's the menu so far:

-burgers
-grilled corn on the cob
-fruit salad

Yeah I know that's not a lot.

So here's my question:
Costco is where I'm going tomorrow for purchasing of the foods. What else do I need?

I want some sort of potato dish... but not everyone likes potato salad.

Drinks? I just turned 21 so I can buy alcohol... what are some drinks I can make that aren't too strong (I'm a lightweight) where you can barely taste the alcohol? I'm getting tired of coconut rum and orange juice...

Any suggestions?

And just so you get a pic:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PeachesEveryday
Just a little peach

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007 03:04:37 PM »

I am also a lightweight, but I've got a couple secret recipes.

The Sissy Mojito (I actually made this one up)

-Equal parts Sprite and Limeaid
-a splash of rum

I like to mix vanilla vodka with coke for a vanilla coke concoction...or with orange soda for a sweet 50/50 bar taste

Pearl Harbor

-Pineapple juice
-a shot or splash of midori

Madras

-orange juice
-cranberry juice
-vodka
-splash o' lime

I've found that I can palate a watered down version of most drinks...use a big class and just a shot or less of the hard stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity. - Gilda Radner
WitchCatXeen

life's a joke, so make fun of it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007 03:11:03 PM »

You can get wine coolers.. And I can personally say that fuzzy navels are good.

A little bit TOO good, but they're great Smiley and they go great with bbq foods.  just make sure nobody has allergy to citric acid.

you can do some light snacks like tofu stuff.  i don't know what its called, but you take your tofu, add chopped celery, seasoning salt for salad (from dollar tree) to taste and a bit of mayo.  so its like an egg salad and you'd never know its tofu.

serve it with crackers (like ritz) but it could go on anything.  

you could also make pie real say.

get those pie crust shells (the dough kind).  not the roll up kind.  get two.  dump some canned cherries in one half (a few different kinds is good!) then carefully place the OTHER pie shell on top, squish the edges a wee bit, and viola! oh, sprinkle the top with a bit of sugar.  bake at i dunno, 400? until pie crust in done looking.

so there's two painfully quick and easy goodies for ya.

you might want to get vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for the pie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jesllo
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007 03:12:42 PM »

If you want potatoes but not just salad, you could always go the easy route and buy potato chips.  I also like to do a bean dish.  Here's a fairly easy one.

1 pound of bacon, fried, crumbled
1 pound of ground meat, I used turkey, unless I'm really craving beef
1 can of Ranch Style Beans
1 can of your favorite Chili
1 can of Tomatoes with Green Chilies
2 cans of Butter Beans
1 can of Great Northern Beans
1 can of pork and beans
dash of tabasco, more if you like it hot
1 cup brown sugar
1 T red wine vinegar
3 T liquid smoke
1 cup catsup
1 onion chopped
Dump it all in the crock pot for 2 hours on high.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poo head

I didn't really drop my baby! No hate mail!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007 05:25:54 PM »

I find that most people don't like potato salad because of the mayo, and if you'll be outside mayo isn't a good idea anyway. You can do a non-mayo potato salad though.

Cut into bite size pieces and boil some red potatoes until cooked through but no where near mushy. Mix oil and lemon juice w/ a little bit of Dijon mustard and fresh dill. Stir the dressing into the potatoes with some sliced/chopped red onions, and green beans if you want them and refrigerate for at least an hour. Add a little fresh dill to the top right before you serve it to make it pretty and you're done.

As for the drinks, my goto for BBQ's is Daiquiris. That way you can make some virgins to quench your thirst instead of consuming too much alcohol because you're in the heat. You can find a lot of recipes online (mostly just lemon juice, lime juice, optional strawberries, sugar, rum, and ice) or simply buy the premixed stuff.

Oh I just thought you could also do jello shots in red, white, and blue if you were so inclined.

You also didn't list this, but some things to think about: lettuce, tomato, and onion for the burgers -oh and don't forget to put hamburger buns on your list if you're anything like my forgetful self-  and pretzels/chips/snacks for people to munch on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to do a personal swap for any boyish nursery print flannels! I can send polymer clay charms, purses, paper crafts, microscope slide pendant kit, and a lot more.

~My Inspiration~
~Benjamin Reed~
~11.8.07~

wist me away
♥personal swaps♥
Kurtzie
Kurtzie

kitty feet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007 07:00:28 PM »

sangria!
bottle of sweet red wine ( i love Bully Hill's- grower's red) 2 liter of sprite or 7up, mix and cut up apples, oranges, limes, and pop them in also ask my sister if you save the fruit you can get drunk off that latter Smiley

potatoes you can cube up or slice in wedges throw in some butter and  steak seasoning and italian seasoning in tin foil and put them on the gril with your corn and burgers.

also easiest dessert.
Graham cracker pie crust,
1 container of whip topping (unthawed)
1 cup of peanut butter
1 brick of cream cheese
1/2 cup of powdered sugar and stream in some milk while mixing all together.
mix goes in crust and
pop it in the fridge - peanut butter pie that people lose their mind for
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007 03:33:53 PM by Kurtzie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, PM me!

My ETSY! Including Hooker on the Go Keychains!
http://LittleGemsbyKari.etsy.com
msmeow
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007 10:26:52 AM »

You could make shandies. Half beer and half lemonade, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shandy.

As for potato salad, using white wine vinegar can give it some flavor and keep it light without mayo.

You could make popsicles for dessert--get some yummy juices, like mango or whatever and freeze it popsicle makers.

And my favorite ever recipes for peanut butter pie (it makes two!):
Ingredients
1 cup powdered sugar
1 (8-ounce) block light cream cheese, softened
1 cup natural-style, reduced-fat creamy peanut butter (such as Smucker's)
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1 12-ounce tub frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
2 9-inch ready-made reduced-fat graham cracker shells
4 teaspoons fat-free chocolate sundae syrup (if you want it)

Preparation
Combine the first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add the condensed milk, and beat until combined. Stir in the whipped topping. Divide the mixture evenly between shells; put in freezer 8 hours or until set. Cut into wedges, and drizzle with chocolate syrup, if you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xxmetal_mistressxx
+you'll rebel to anything+

I am god or at least I smell like it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007 12:57:04 PM »

Grill up some potatoes on the grill. wrap them in tin foil and your good to go. Google the cook time. Potatoes take a long time to cook so put them on before anything and keep them on. They are sooo good and easy. Add butter, onion, or sour cream and chives. or chedder. or bacon or brocolli ok i'm done lol. They-re awsome and everyone loves them even my pickie boy toy.  Grin Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like my coffee black just like my metal.

I make fun plastic jewelry check it out!
www.poisonousporkipine.etsy.com
Love personal swaps!
The 100 atc challenge 5/100. The happy 100 atc challange 0/100
anwylaeth
Lady of the Lens

Gradatim ferociter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007 01:12:48 PM »

I don't know if you'll have access to your oven, as well, but we love "Twice Baked Potatoes" when we have burgers.  They're really simple, and you can make them the day prior, then just pop them in the oven for ten or fifteen minutes to heat and melt the cheese.  When you're doing burgers, it's nice to get a variety of toppings for them, like sauteed mushrooms, sour cream, various cheeses, and guacamole.  Just some thoughts.  Have a great BBQ!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Al tefachdu lomar et ha'emet shelachem
Don't be afraid to tell your truth.

Have we got some internal sequin issues, Benjamin?
meepum

^me and j9crafts. yeah. I'm a superhero.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007 12:02:14 PM »

OK so I wanted to say thank you to everyone! Your ideas helped a lot! I ended up not cooking the potatoes because everyone brought food (I didn't know they were going to, but hey they did) so we had fruit salad, an apple pie, plus the cake I made, chips and salsa, spinach dip, sodas, Midori Sours (yummm), Captain Morgan, Guinness, and burgers! No one left hungry!

We watched Harrold and Kumar go to White Castle (it's kinda about burgers!) and played Uno. Then we went to the park down the street which was PACKED to watch fireworks!!! They were so pretty! I haven't seen fireworks since I was 12 or so!

Thank you again to everyone for all of the awesome ideas... definately printed your recipes out to put in my recipie box!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Clive Davis Talks About Some of His Favorite Photos
Clive Davis on Whitney Houston and Carlos Santana
Clive Davis on Finding New Talent and Reinvigorating Careers
The Grand Complication by Stacy Perman
Actor And Author Eriq La Salle Discusses His New Book
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...