A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,911
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help--How to cut a glass bottle?  (Read 34623 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CloudxxSeph
« on: July 02, 2007 01:30:57 PM »

righty-o. So, my boyfriend/best friend has this thing (obsession?) with Bawls (energy drink). And our one year anniversary is coming up. So after browsing ebay for a bit, I found these....

aka awesome as hell and i want to make them. I have plenty of bottles to test on and stuff (he gives them to me because i think they're pretty  Smiley ), and i found this tute over at wikihow: http://www.wikihow.com/Cut-a-Bottle-to-Make-a-Glass-for-Drinking. Is this a good tute for cutting a glass bottle? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance Smiley
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007 02:33:37 PM by CloudxxSeph » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007 02:10:51 PM »

I haven't used one personally, but I've seen bottle cutters sold a few times. Searching on yahoo turned up a few places that sell them.  Not sure how well they work.  The glasses look pretty cool, though.  Good luck making them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Lody
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007 02:39:23 PM »

Tell us if that tute works out Cheesy
Just a note... get something to insulate the wire where you're going to grab it.  You can't just heat the middle to red hot and not the parts you're gonna touch.  It's metal, heat transfers all the way through it. (You probably knew that already, though XD)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
CloudxxSeph
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007 12:36:39 PM »

okay--update! I tried it with my older brother. ...results? NOT satisfactory. With more research, i found a total of six ways. two were on that wikihow link, one is the option of buying a $30 bottle/jar cutter (I have a grand total of $4 as of now :\ ), two are on this site: http://www.wikihow.com/Cut-a-Glass-Bottle, and the sixth was from this video: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/508368/how_to_cut_a_glass_bottle/ .

the last one i tried to do, using nail polish remover and hairspray as my flammable...didn't work. first two on first wikihow link i tried, but not with copper wire....didn't work. or rather, they "worked" allright... but they didn't cut the bottle easily Sad Luckily we had a large supply of snapple bottle to test on...
so overall, disappointing, but i guess this is what i get for trying to take the cheap way out.

oh, and apparently, cutting a bottle with scissors underwater doesn't work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBMtbVonAIg
don't want that to happen Sad
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007 12:39:48 PM by CloudxxSeph » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007 07:13:24 AM »

So which method worked the best, and did you get any usable glasses out of your experiment?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
CloudxxSeph
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007 02:29:07 PM »

the one with the thread worked best... but sadly, no usable glasses Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaberella
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007 07:05:34 AM »

The only way I know how is in the hot glass shop. I have seen friends bring them up to heat in an annealer and then pick them up on a punty and heat the top in the glory hole. When it's nice and hot they trim them with snips. Takes but a few seconds..

Jenn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CloudxxSeph
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007 01:40:07 PM »

The only way I know how is in the hot glass shop. I have seen friends bring them up to heat in an annealer and then pick them up on a punty and heat the top in the glory hole. When it's nice and hot they trim them with snips. Takes but a few seconds..
hot...glass...shop? *big blank stare* umm, thanks Jenn, but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Though I suppose I could always do research. or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kreestahl
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007 10:16:31 AM »

I have cut bottle size glass tubing with several methods.  Bottles tend to have heavier glass walls and so are more difficult to get to work.  The most usable results came when I used a wet saw to cut.  You can rent the saw like ones used for cutting tile.  I have also scored the glass with a cutter and then tap the glass from the inside of the bottle to get the score to run around.  The results are less consistant.  Instead of tapping, I have also taken a rod of glass, melted the end in a torch (carefully) and touched the molten glass to the bottle.  The heat difference (thermal shock) causes rapid expansion and cracking.  Pieces of glass can go flying with any of the methods so you MUST BE CAREFUL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaberella
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007 05:17:59 AM »

hot...glass...shop? *big blank stare* umm, thanks Jenn, but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Though I suppose I could always do research. or something.

Oh. I blow glass... in a "hot shop". I was guessing you could go and talk to someone at a glass blowing shop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Battle of the Fashion Bloggers
One Little Black Dress, Four Ways to Wear It
Hottest Fashion For Mardi Gras Balls
Survey Shows Women Have No Shame In Buying Fake Designer Items
Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt Prove the Power of Neutrals
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...