A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: candy cane shot glasses  (Read 8273 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SassetteOPants

Equal parts sugar and salt

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2003 11:59:54 AM »

Wee shot glasses of peppermint candy!   I've never made hard  candy before.  Perhaps I could just heat and twist some peppermint sticks?  Hmmm....

I found them at www.urbn.com but you can see a photo at http://www.pleiadeswebpress.com/effluvia/urbncandycane.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...so believe when I say Im no better than you, except when I craft so I guess it aint true.

Insinuendos.etsy.com
comfits
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003 12:16:42 PM »

whoah!!!!  those look awesome!!  i'm guessing melt & twist your own.
i saw something else in my daughter's american girl mag.  grab a bag of peppermints (the circle ones w/ red & white stripes) & some metal cookie cutters.  coat the cookie cutters with cooking spray & lay them on tinfoil.  put the mints inside the cutters--however many you can fit--& bake at 325 for 6 minutes.  
they melt into whatever shape your cookie cutter was.  i'm gonna make some later.  i'll post pics of mine.  they'd be cute lil' Christmas gifts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
comfits
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003 01:10:08 PM »

okay, so that was easier said then done.  the cooking spray was a mess.  everything went okay, but you have to use a cookie cutter that you can get your hands into.  i had a hard time pushing those little guys through.  i left the big candy cane in the cookie cutter so you could see what it looks like.  i broke some of them to get them to fit.  next, i'm gonna do chocolate w/ my fav--hershey's hugs.  yum!!  i think that'll be easier cuz i'll just freeze them to get them to pop out & forget about that greasy old cooking spray!! (pictured: bell, angel, gingerbread man, Christmas tree, and candy canes)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003 01:12:49 PM by comfits » THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003 04:42:49 PM »

i looked at this thread......and didnt notice it was you...i thought...Ooooooo Shocked i love it.. how cute... and i came to reply and saw it was comfits the craftster..........so tell me...is this project too much of a pain? cuz if not..im definately doing it.  did it liKe ooze out under the cutter?...and about the hershey's ( i have hershey's dark in my cupboard always!!!)....wouldnt it ooze out? ..tell me your secret o- great craftster!
 Wink Grin Smiley Smiley Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

comfits
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003 07:59:49 PM »

artfart--you totally busted me up w/ that post!!  

it's a pretty easy project.  a little oozing, but it chipped right off for me.  just go easy on the cooking spray.  and definitely use BIG metal cookie cutters.  it was so much easier to pop out the candy.

i'm gonna try the chocolate idea tomorrow & i'll get back to you.

thanks for the cute post, you big stinker!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlScoutRiot

Please don't eat the government cheese...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003 02:33:36 PM »

I am so loving these peppermint shot glasses... but I will probably just buy them unless someone is intrepid enough to try to make them, and posts how it goes... How perfect would these be with a chocolate liquer based shot? Yum... if someone makes these and gices me instructions, I'll post all the shot recipes...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie...
Diana
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2003 03:21:20 PM »

Oooh! Those are so fabulous! I would love to try these...it looks like maybe four peppermint sticks, twisted and tapered, and I am guessing a round candy makes the bottom? Any thoughts?
di
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SassetteOPants

Equal parts sugar and salt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003 11:58:27 PM »

First, thank you all for responding!  I do want to make some of those cute lil' melted-candy-thingies...I'm gonna make big ol' honkin' ones, pipe 'to' and 'from' on them, and use 'em for gift tags  Grin

Anyway...as much as I love the idea of HOMEMADE edible shot glasses, I'm going to break down and just shell out the bucks for a couple sets of them.  I asked my sister (who knows everything and makes Martha Stewart look like Peggy Bundy) how to do them, and really, it's far more trouble than it's worth to me.  

She says that it's perfectly feasible to make them at home (follow a recipe for hard candy, pull the goo into stick shapes, wrap around a wax-paper cup, let it harden).  I've only made hard candy once (with my sis, as matter of fact!), and it was way too sensitive and scientific for me.  But if anyone else tries it, I'd looooove to see the results!

Yer pal,
Sassy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...so believe when I say Im no better than you, except when I craft so I guess it aint true.

Insinuendos.etsy.com
ChristlMC
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004 12:25:08 PM »

Urban Outfitters is selling fantabulous edible shotglasses made from candy canes.  My question is:  has anyone tried reshaping/bending candy canes?  I've googled it but I can't find instructions or info on reshaping candy.

Do I have to break down and make candy canes from scratch???  Help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DrewsUSAgirl
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004 07:17:03 AM »

They also had choclate shot glasses, those would be far eassier to make & wold be good with vanilla or fruit based shots & liquors.   =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gji7
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004 03:23:32 PM »

You might be interested in this thread: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=18224.0

They are trying to figure it out too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth. - Evan Esar

Prove to yourself that you can do it. Prove that you were always who you thought you were, not who they said you had to be. - Rachel Snyder
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Edit Your Wardrobe
Three Big Style Mistakes Women Make
Get Your Fashion Week Trends For Less
H&M Launching High End Line In London
Life-Changing Makeover Revealed
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...