A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,062
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Eco-flow buster maxi!  (Read 4694 times)
Tags for this thread: crochet_challenge_5  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 01, 2007 10:48:09 PM »

If the sewers can do it so can we!... crochet your own maxi pad!
This wonderful purple pad is just right for those that are a bit too squeemish for the original eco-flow butser crochet tampon!

This pad is made out of hemp grown organically and died with an environmentally friendly dye process. The removable inside is made with old towels so you can make them as thick or thin as needed.

You may be wondering if this thing will be uncomfortable. Yes, it will be at first, so I am going to wash it a couple times before I use it. We all know that stiff-grass-stage that hemp comes to us in, but did you know that after a few washings it gets softer like cotton or linen and after quite a number of washings it gets smooth like silk!
Thanks for looking!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
kimski
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007 11:52:55 PM »

It's fantastic! I love it.

Can you give us any information about your "environmentally friendly dye process"? *begging*

Thanks. Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gareth

A Hopeless Romantic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007 12:33:40 AM »

I have just scolded myself with hot tea. My hand's red, and I spilt it over my tummy too, and my Dark Side of the Moon t-shirt is warm... and I still can't help but laugh!  Cheesy

Haha, when you said the removable middle was made from old towels, I presumed sanitary, and upon looking at the top picture I said to myself in my BBC English accent, "Cor blimey, I bet they're a bit abrasive!" The second picture relived me and revealed a different kind of towel.

If it became silky though after many washes, could it not slip in between sitting down and getting up? I do have sympathy for you gals. I have enough problems with my own underwear between getting up and sitting down, and I have nothing inside them! Hold on! Well I do, but nothing alien. Yeah, that's what I meant.  Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007 11:32:36 AM »

Gareth~ Good thing I am wearing my eco-maxi, because I think I just peed my pants! You were totally cracking me up!

kimski~
Sorry, I did not dye them myself. I bought this hemp a gazillion years ago (ok, back in like 1998) when hemp was not sooo expensive. I got a huge spool for like 30 bucks. Anyway, the tag said 'organic right down to the dye process'... so I can't help you more! However, I do frequent hemptraders.com and they have some naturally dyed hemp, can't remember exactly if it is 'earth friendly' or not. (Natural= dyeing blueberries or coffee, earth friendly= not using a chemical process to make the dye 'stick'!)
Anywoo, thanks for looking~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

yep
kimski
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007 05:32:55 AM »

Gareth~ Good thing I am wearing my eco-maxi, because I think I just peed my pants! You were totally cracking me up!

kimski~
Sorry, I did not dye them myself. I bought this hemp a gazillion years ago (ok, back in like 1998) when hemp was not sooo expensive. I got a huge spool for like 30 bucks. Anyway, the tag said 'organic right down to the dye process'... so I can't help you more! However, I do frequent hemptraders.com and they have some naturally dyed hemp, can't remember exactly if it is 'earth friendly' or not. (Natural= dyeing blueberries or coffee, earth friendly= not using a chemical process to make the dye 'stick'!)
Anywoo, thanks for looking~

Thanks for the info javastain. I'm supposed to be doing a workshop (It's a long way in the future, 2008) on dyeing with local plants (I live in Australia, south eastern) but most dye recipies that use plants seem to require mordants that are quite toxic. Anyway, blackberries (maybe if they've been sprayed and are inedible) and coffee are good ideas.

Thanks to Gareth too for the laugh.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittyCreates

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007 08:20:00 AM »

Kind of curious, how do you attach it?  With velcro, button snaps?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

http://kittyscreations.wordpress.com/

http://www.ravelry.com/people/KittyCreates
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007 08:57:31 AM »

oh! Kimski~ I have dyed with both blackberries (they turn things a nice blue-ish purple) and coffee. Of course the challenge is keeping the color on the project. I have not used vinegar, but I hear it works very well as a chemical free mordant... I am sure there are more knowlegable people over on the dyeing boards! Smiley

kittycreates~ right now there is no attachment, I was planning on making a simple flap on each side with a small button attachment. I have not perfected the design, that's why I left it off for now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yep
Mienna
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007 10:52:56 AM »

Very cool, I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007 08:57:44 PM »

thats a very interesting idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
Gareth

A Hopeless Romantic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007 11:32:22 PM »

Attachments?  Huh Flaps?  Shocked

I do some night stock at my local supermarket during nights, as the money is good and I need to save up money to get back down under to my love.

Tonight, I was working on the health and beauty aisle. This in itself was crap, as a scruffy male, if someone said "hygiene" to me, I'd reply "I'm not Gene!" Haha.

The fiddly boxes and the domino effect was infuriating me. And then I got to the tampon section. I was looking at the packets and the pictures and thinking of your wonderful crocheted accessory.

Gareth was a bit over-zealous with his knife wielding, and sliced a few tampon packets open by mistake - only did I find out when I lifted the box and 64 li-lites fell to the floor. I was more shocked at the size of them, given I'd only ever seen a Tampax. These things were like wee bullets! So after I cleaned up, I got up onto my foot step, to load onto the top shelf, where my manager was in the following aisle opposite me. All of a sudden, I had this thought on how funny it'd be to propel one of these bullet tampons towards his forehead, knocking on him off of his stool, whilst screaming "Man down! Man Down! Oooooone hundreeeed and eiiiiighty!", jumping off my stool and do a little shuffle with my knees whilst wiggling my bum. I had to get off my stool because I was laughing so much at the mere thought, whilst a colleague looked at me strangely. Embarrassed Oh how childish.

Aaaanyways, after looking at all the pictures, I still can't work out where the velcro would strap!  Undecided Surely you wouldn't sew some velcro into your underwear?

Kimski - is the workshop anywhere near Brissy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The 2014 Best New Beauty Products
JD and Rebecca Discuss What You Are Probably Doing Wrong In the Shower
Top 3 Products to Stop Scars or Fade the Ones You Have
Winter Weather Skin Survival Tips
Special Scents for Your Valentine
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...