A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,206
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: when people ask for crutique & their item is...not well done?  (Read 992 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007 12:11:11 PM »

I want someone to tell me if my stuff stinks. If nothing else, then there would be responses....202 views and only 4 posts Sad Well, 5 if you count my reply.

IF there's something wrong, and it's something I can't help (sewing machine bogging down with a zipper and 4 layer of canvas and denim) I'll add it to the post. My inability to stitch straight, well, lay that hint on my thread! I can't be the only one that makes waves....

Remember, diplomacy. As ling as you're not posting something like "Eeeww, that stinks!" and use the proper smiley, you're not likely to offend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
PiratePanties
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007 08:46:50 PM »

Honestly, I just try not to judge. We are all at different levels, with different skills, different goals, and bring different things to the table. The point is that we all have room for improvement, and the important thing is that we're crafting. I don't think craftser should ever turn into an elitist place where one group or skill level sets the tone as to what is good or not. Not that that has or is even close to happening here, I have just seen it happen at other boards. And I hope that didn't come off harsh, because I'm really not trying to be. =P

Me personally, I love criticism, and open all of my projects to it. I'm generally good at knowing whether something of mine outright sucks or not, but may miss something little, or may not know of a certain technique, or how something "reads" to others. I would much rather be told about a problem and be able to correct it then just go on my merry way having never been told. How else do you learn and improve? I think we would be doing each other a great disservice by not helping each other out.

That being said, I understand that not everyone thinks that way, so unless the post specifically invites criticism I don't give it. Like someone else said I think it's important to encourage people to keep creating, since a lot of crafting is trial and error anyway, and most of us will eventually figure it out in the end (which is often the fun part and brings on some really creative solutions).

So to sum up my very long and babbly post: I love criticism, but will only give it when asked, and otherwise I just try to encourage! =)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007 08:47:39 PM by PiratePanties » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007 09:41:45 AM »

I've been wondering the same thing.  It seems that most people who make things want to make them well, but some people just need to create and share and get it on to the next project.  I agree that a personal message might be the way to go for helpful, courteous critiques.  That way there isn't public humiliation AND they can just ignore you if they want to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb & http://www.etsy.com/shop/GreatBigBeautifulDog

2013 Projects Completed: 61
'14: 42 (at least)
'15: 15
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pin Curl Long Hair
What Are the Best Long Hair Wedding Hairstyles?
How To Do A Quick And Easy Messy Bun
40s Inspired Hairstyles at Carolina Herrera Fall 2013 Show
Summer Hair Care Tips For Moms
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...