A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best Yarn for Feather and Fan?  (Read 511 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyGal13

teacher, knitter, colorguard girl, craftster!

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2007 02:53:29 PM »

So I got inspired today and drew out some pictures of a shirt design that's been rolling around in my head for about a month.  I *accidentally* figured out to make it work when I was messing around getting rid of some stash yarn Smiley
But anyway, my question.  What is the best yarn to use for a feather and fan lace pattern?  I was thinking something cotton maybe...I'm sick of acrylic.  I want it to drape nicely and show the eyelets in the lace, but not be so thin that it's gunna be all hole-y.  Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ImaginationsEnd
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007 06:42:09 PM »

It's still acrylic, but I'm doing a feather and fan shawl right now in Bernat BabySoft. It looks fantastic and feels fantastic. And it drapes awesomely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You Were From a Perfect World....A World That Threw Me Away.

My Knitting Blog
CraftyGal13

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007 07:07:57 PM »

Thanks--that might work!  I'd also looked at Bernat Cottontots and Lion Brand cotton-ease.  Any opinions on any that would be better than another?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007 11:53:16 PM »

I have done feather and fan in everything from crochet thread to bulky yarn and found it beautiful in all types of yarn ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neekie

gauge schmauge.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007 03:50:40 AM »

I think you have to keep in mind the shape of your garment as well, like cotton will be heavier and may end up looking sack-like if your shirt has less shaping.. If you are willing to splurge, bamboo yarn has beautiful drape and is nice and light.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyGal13

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007 06:46:06 AM »

Good point, neekie...I hadn't thought about that!  I'm probably not going to go for a lot of shaping, since I haven't worked with it much.  I may just stick with an acrylic...or look for a splurge...although I'm a student, so "splurge" is a relative term!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007 12:55:35 PM »

The summer interweave has a purple lace skirt-over-pant thing that isnt knit in feather in fan (its actually a leaf pattern) but the rown bamboo tape looks gorgeous in a lace pattern and is a thick enough yarn that you could make a garment that wouldnt be see through. I got to see the finished item in a trunk show and it was nifty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
CraftyGal13

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007 03:00:04 PM »

So I did some research and looked at bamboo yarns...but I don't think I want to spend the money on it, because I'd hate to waste it (which happens to a lot of the yarn I buy for patterns I try to create!).  So does anyone know of a good alternative that can come close to the bamboo's drape and breathability? I'll even take acrylic! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyGal13

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007 01:05:34 PM »

I take back what I just said--found some white bamboo on ebay and won 560 yards for $12 plus shipping!!  Of course, that came after the devastating defeat when I lost out on about 1000 yards (9 skeins) of bamboo...shoulda known that someone would beat me out in the last few seconds.  But wow, what a deal that person got--over $100 worth of yarn for $42!!!!!  I was oh so close Sad
But anyway...I so excited about my new yarn!  This will be the first "high end" stuff I've knitted with.  Yay for branching out beyond Lion Brand and Patons!  I'll try not to waste it on a project idea that never develops
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neekie

gauge schmauge.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007 06:14:55 PM »

Wow that's a super great deal!!! Smiley Sometimes buying nicer yarn gives you more motivation to finish a project that you'd otherwise abandon halfway.. or well that happens to me anyway. Good luck with the knitting! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Future of Aesthetics with Dale Chihuly
Nudity & Anatomy: 18th-Century Statue Causes a Scandal
Time Lapse Chainsaw Dormouse Bench Carving
Hyper-Real Sculptures and More Arts Stories
Toad Sculpture Chainsaw Carving Time Lapse
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...