A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,448
Currently Running With Scissors:
692 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shadow Box- (very pic heavy) now with a longwinded story about each box!  (Read 4720 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyImperfections

Paper cuts and hot glue burns since 1985

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2007 02:52:09 PM »

I finally finished my shadow box, you might remember seeing the image from the largest box before, it was an ill-fated fathers day card.  There is a ton of special meaning behind everything in each box, but I won't bore you...  Sorry the photo's aren't flipped...

The whole she bang a bang

My fathers box,

My mothers box

My aunts box

A box for friends

In-law's box

Grandparents box

Neighbors Box

I might add more to it, but I'm not sure yet..
Hope you guys enjoy it, if you have any questions, please ask, comments make my day!  Have a good one.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007 04:45:58 AM by CraftyImperfections » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's swap.
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007 02:57:29 PM »

That is totally awesome craftimperfections!!!! Like a bunch of shrines to all the people you love! I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!! And what a cool way to display some of the cool memoribilia that goes with each person!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
PlumCrafty
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007 03:03:49 PM »

Wow! This is amazing, I love it! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2012 Swaps
Nov: SS Ornament R3
Sep: MALC 6x6 Canvas
Aug: 4x6 Art5
Jul: Hand-Carved Stamp4 and Vintage
Jun: Journal for a Month2
May: 4x6 Art2 and Crafted Cushion Cover2
Apr: Beginners Inchie3
Mar: Art Journal
kaleesi
Craftaholic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007 03:09:19 PM »

and i for one would love to hear the stories behind each one - if you cared to share - and i bet we wouldn't be a bit bored!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God is big enough.....
sirensrising
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007 03:10:09 PM »

Wow, I LOVE this! Not only is it really beautiful (and it really, really is) but it's so unusual and such a lovely idea. A bit like a family portrait? Regardless, I absolutely love it. I'm clicking "This Rocks"!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the images?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
sirensrising
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007 03:12:27 PM »

You know, I'd love to know how you made this altogether, it's really inspiring Smiley

And I too would be interested in the stories, although whether you want to share them is of course up to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
wiseowl
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007 03:20:53 PM »

I hit this rocks too! This is cute without cheese, vintage yet fresh...I love it! Where on earth did you find the shadowbox (or did you make it?) Those lovely deep cubbies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyImperfections

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007 03:57:08 PM »

Thanks for all the wonderful comments guys!  I found the shadow box in a vacant apartment (I work for an apartment complex).  It started out looking very...1990's country.  The large box had a door with a heart cut out, and it was stained in this weird light color...ugh.  So I sanded and painted it, and loved it so much more.  The images I found in a book called Compton Year book.   It's kind of an encyclopedia, but it used to come out yearly I guess, kind of a year in review.  I bought them for a quarter a piece, they're from the late 50's, early 60's.  I basically just sat down once a night and worked on it.  I used vintage images and objects, distress inks, acrylic paints and ephemera.  If you really want to hear about the stories and objects I'll tell you about them, but I'll start the stories in another reply Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's swap.
meanderingartist

Gotta love Gary Larson

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007 09:02:21 PM »

I liked the fathers day card when it was alone but it really takes on a new dimension in your shadow box- lovely idea and nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC 100 Themes Challenge  13/100
MrsG_SoCal
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007 09:14:55 PM »

Beautiful project! So the images are not actually family/friends? They are just representative of them? Are the objects actual family treasures or just neat items you found?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyImperfections

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007 04:44:51 AM »

O.k, so on to the stories... My fathers box I kept dark, I wanted it to represent all the things I don't know about him, the bottle says 'lost love' because my mom and dad got a divorce when I was young, and I thought my dad was completely faultless.  As I got older I started to learn it was more of a mutual thing.  It hurt me to learn that about him.  I wanted the key to represent his opportunity to move on- as my mom has remarried but he hasn't even had a girlfriend (it's been about over 10 years). 
  My mom's box shows that I was really angry with her for leaving us when I was young (the word over her eyes(, but that I've started to forgive her (the metal heart pinned on her chest) and am learning that she does still love me very much.  The bracelet draped over her picture says 'Deb" which is her name and was hers when she was a teenager.  The dove ring was a napkin holder that was part of her family for a long time, I used to take it out of her jewelery box when I was a kid and wear it like a ring.
   My grandparents box I wanted to keep simple, as they were simple people.  The back paper is a recipe because they were always cooking.  The photo shows the older couple giving dogs a treat, they did have a dog, but I like the image because both of the dogs are getting treats at the same time, they were always so fair and definitely spoiled us by giving us all whatever we wanted to eat (different things for everyone at breakfast, yum!)  The thing in the front of their box is a small zippo lighter that says Indiana and is symbolic both because it came from them (they live in Indiana) and because my grandfather smoked (it eventually killed him). 
  My Aunt's box is one of my favorites.  When my parents divorced she basically took on the financial responsibility for raising me (my dad didn't make too much money on his own, plus he was a heavy drinker).  she turned me into a nice young lady, when I was more interested in dressing like a boy.  I had a lot of anger in me after the divorce, but she never gave up on me.  That's why in my picture she was a Queen (albeit a beauty queen  Wink) And yes she was beautiful.  Her embellishment is a crown made from a very old costume jewelery necklace that was given to me.  Her picture is pasted over a page from "The Story of the Gospel" describing how everyone went to Jesus so they could be healed, except that the word Auntie is pasted over Jesus' name, as well as her picture.  Her figurine is a porcelain doll head that I painted and weathered to look like her, because to me she always looked so perfect and right.
  The in law's box is lighter than most, but I used a deep red for it, it's meant to symbolize deep love.  They have been together a long time, and stayed through thick and thin.  My father in law is one of the best people I know, and I don't want to air my husbands life, but that man has done a lot for that family.  They got a heart shaped locket as their embellishment, and a vintage book of matches sits in the front of their box- they both smoke.
  The neighbor box shows a man leaning down to look into a child's face, which is how I remember my neighbor Charles.  He was there for my whole family whenever we need someone to talk to.  He is very wise and always gets you thinking.  He never treated me like a child, and I never doubted his friendship for a second.  He was my other grandfather.  He got military wings but on like an angel on his back, yes he was in the military and went to a lot of places, but he was also an angel, he helped me through many hard times.  The thing in the front of his box is a very old mother of pearl pill box that he gave to me when I was a teenager.  It belonged to a girl he knew that used it to hold her drugs, she ended up overdosing and now it serves as my reminder to never go down that path (his intention).
  The last box is a box for all the friends in my life.  The back piece of paper is from a very old book I have, it's an inscription from one friend to another and it's from 1904.  The picture shows people of a variety of ages and different genders, which is how my friends are now.  The star on the hair of one of the girls shows a friend that I regret I no longer have in my life, which brings me to the vintage bandaid in the front of the box.  It symbolizes the fact that all my friends are mostly gone.  I fall hard in friendships and it really hurts me when those friends move on for whatever reason.  I guess the bandaid just shows that as you get older you patch those places up with more friends and people you love, but it can still be ripped off at anytime, and that hurts too.
  I hope those of you  that wanted to read these were not disappointed.  And no, they aren't real photo's of my family, i wanted my idea of them represented.  And all the boxes have dictionary definitions in them, I also wanted those to show how these people should be- but wanted the boxes to reflect who these people really were to me. 
  Have a great day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's swap.
sirensrising
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007 05:54:49 AM »

I love it even more now that I know the meanings behind it  Smiley
Very interesting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My artwork at Etsy!
CraftyImperfections

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007 09:28:19 AM »

Thanks again guys, I appreciate your comments and am glad you liked it  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's swap.
amaryllisroze
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007 09:40:13 AM »

Beautiful piece!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007 11:18:12 AM »

and i for one would love to hear the stories behind each one - if you cared to share - and i bet we wouldn't be a bit bored!
I so agree!  And the band-aid must have an interesting story!!

Beautiful work and wonderful tributes to those you love!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
CraftyZary
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007 11:44:55 AM »

One word: BEAUTIFUL!!!!

I saw the pics and was amazed because of how beautiful it is done and because of the whole idea of it, and then I read the story and I love it even more, there is just so much detail and meaning behind it, wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShimmeringFae
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007 11:55:08 AM »

this is so beautiful, i with i could do something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daiconharuko
Daikon Eklectik

this daikon is eklectik

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007 11:58:16 AM »

This is soo great! I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susankg53
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007 12:22:44 PM »

lovely box and thank you so much for sharing yourself and your feelings with the family at craftster. I,for one, was very touched.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spicecarrie
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007 02:20:31 PM »

Oh wow this is gorgeous! I love it! Its such an original idea and you did a great job! Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleesi
Craftaholic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007 03:44:24 PM »

Wow! What an autobiography!!!! I love this box twice as much now since reading all the meanings and was so happy that God sent you angels to fill in where they were needed in your life! Thank you so much for sharing the stories even tho they did make me cry a little... okay, I admit it, more than a little. This just really touched me. I bet it was really good therapy making it!
Did I mention how much I love this project??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God is big enough.....
CraftyLittleDevil
Mostly harmless

the tooth fairy is a mountain devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007 05:01:41 PM »

The shadowbox is beautiful, and the stories about all the people make it even more beautiful. Thankyou for sharing them, it was very touching. I especially love how for each person you have objects that represent joy but also objects that represent the more painful sides of the relationships. Most people only want to remember the joy in their lives, but it is both the joys and the sorrows that make us who we are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyImperfections

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007 04:12:24 AM »

Oh, thanks so much guys!  It was very theraputic to make it, and fun too.  Really, it wasn't too hard to make, Fae.  You just think really hard about who your box is about and pick papers and objects that remind you of them ,or represent them in someway.  I think you can do it, I'd love to see any of you guy's shadow boxes or shrines.
I'm working on reconstructing a clock I found for .25 cents, I think you guys will like that if you liked this, when I'm done I'll post it here.
Thank you SO much for being so completely wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's swap.
CraftyImperfections

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007 04:19:45 AM »

kaleesi, you are super sweet, thank you so much for the touching comments and the kick in the butt you're giving me to make more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's swap.
kaleesi
Craftaholic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007 05:08:25 AM »

kaleesi, you are super sweet, thank you so much for the touching comments and the kick in the butt you're giving me to make more!
No, not sweet - just totally truthful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God is big enough.....
meanderingartist

Gotta love Gary Larson

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007 09:18:28 AM »

Thank you for sharing the stories behind each box. This truly is a uniquely  beautiful and blessed project!

You just think really hard about who your box is about and pick papers and objects that remind you of them ,or represent them in someway. 
You make it sound so easy I am half tempted to try a shadow box type shrine myself.  I could only hope it turns out half as nice as yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC 100 Themes Challenge  13/100
CraftyImperfections

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007 09:30:55 AM »

Honestly, we are our own worst critics.  The whole time I was making this, I thought it really sucked.  I kept noticing that something wasn't right, there wasn't enough of something, this or that is the wrong color, but in the end you just have to go where it takes you, I think your mind has different plans than your eyes do, and most of the time..your mind is right  Wink.  I hope you decide to make one, jsut keep telling yourself, this is a shrine for me to enjoy, so I don't care if nobody understands it, or if they think it looks good, then post it up on craftster so we can tell you how bad ass you are!
Also, you can find a lot of these shadow boxes at thrift stores, don't be fooled by their ugliness, sand and paint does wonders.  Just find one that you love the shape of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's swap.
anwylaeth
Lady of the Lens

Gradatim ferociter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007 12:21:43 AM »

Thank you so much for sharing this project - I am truly inspired to pick up one of those awful 80's country style shadow boxes in the thrift store now that I know what to do with it!  Best of all, thank you for sharing the meaning and stories behind this project - the symbolism is fantastic.  What a lovely, meaningful project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Al tefachdu lomar et ha'emet shelachem
Don't be afraid to tell your truth.

Have we got some internal sequin issues, Benjamin?
ViolinRomance

oh you're so naive

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007 05:41:28 AM »

Just lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyImperfections

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007 06:40:06 AM »

Thanks guys!  You are all really sweet! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's swap.
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2007 12:14:02 PM »

I just saw this and I want to add that it is so beautiful. I am sitting here crying like a fool. I have been working on a family altered book for a year now and the pain and joy are so intertwined. You have done an amazing job on this-thank you so much for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
kaleesi
Craftaholic

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2007 01:06:11 PM »

I am sitting here crying like a fool.
I am so glad I am not the only one that cried Wink

I do believe I know what mom is getting for Christmas this year - I don't know of any gift that would be nicer!!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007 01:07:25 PM by kaleesi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

God is big enough.....
BadBird
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2007 01:17:36 PM »

Very cool!  I ready like this.  I envy people who can do things I can't.  I'm not very good with objects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.andreazuill.com - Paintings and Embroidery
www.badbird.etsy.com - Art Prints and Embroidery patterns
http://zuill.us/andreablog/
A Capitol Idea
<3<3<3

hey unloving, I will love you<3

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2007 10:36:19 AM »

Beautiful. Seriously. I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

come join my disposable camera swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=185390.0
6/100 ATC Themes
Personal Swap Crazy! PM me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cannes Festival 2013: Best and Worst Dressed
Style Evolution: Mila Kunis
Hottest Shoes For The Fall Season
Starshell Discusses Debut, Working With Mary J. Blige & Clothing Line
5 Fall Looks From Macy’s Glamorama Show
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...