A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A grad dress the 50's would be proud of (LARGE images!)  (Read 23638 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , shawl , wrap , shrug , party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chibi muse
« on: July 01, 2007 12:41:57 PM »

front
close up
back

I designed, drafted, and made this dress from scratch for my grade 12 grad, using a late 50's pattern of my grandmother's as a loose guideline. I've been planning this all year, and I am so happy with how it turned out! My grad was actually in may, but I didn't get a chance to upload pictures until now.

The original pattern was a one-piece dress with an extremely high waist, the only parts of it you can still see is the fold over collar and the fullness of the skirt.

The fabric is one layer of butter yellow taffeta and en electric blue sheer with velvet flowers embossed on it. It's a little hard to see in the photos, but the top is a seperate, boned, fully lined, bodice with 2 points in the front and two in the back. A piece of satin ribbon extends from each point, and then snaps on to the gathered part of the skirt. I sewed little tiny bows on top of the snaps to cover them. Excuse the wrinkles below the bust, I was slouching a little!

The skirt has no crinoline, just a layer of sheer, a layer of taffeta, and the lining. The top layer is gathered up like belle's dress from beauty and the beast! Smiley

I originaly planned to have the top layer be a light lilca colour, but the fabric I found in that colour was $20 a metre! If it was my wedding dress or something I so would have done it, but I made my own dress to save money so I went with an on-sale fabric instead. Nobody else had a yellow and blue dress, thats for sure!

The picture of the back is candid obviously, ^_~ I'm about to fall over trying to put my shoes on. But you can see the little white shrug I wore for part of the night! I also had white little short gloves and a white vintage beaded purse. I'm wearing my grandmothers jewelry, the earrings are clip-ons!

(Sorry I don't have a picture without my hands infront of the top)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
brenna
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007 12:43:19 PM »

LOVE IT. It's SO fabulous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live on purpose.
frix220

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007 12:44:08 PM »

Shocked  Woww... you did a fabulous job!! The more I look at it, the more I like it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com
Mosquito
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007 12:54:54 PM »

Wow!! That's gorgeous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tygir

I am a leaf on the wind

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007 12:55:16 PM »

Excellent! I love the shape of the skirt.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kritenkrit
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007 01:01:23 PM »

holy wow...you did an excellent job!  i love love it!!  it looks great on you too! i really like the back part of the bodice with the two pointy parts.  super!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Speak what you think now in hard words and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it may contradict everything you said today...To be great is to be misunderstood.
cute_anarchy
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007 01:06:57 PM »

Really amazing, gorgeous and professional looking!  I am super impressed - you should go into fashion, it looks like you have a really unique and fun sense of style!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
Phosphoria
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007 01:23:35 PM »

Wow, that is just plain amazing and very impressive! I love the colour scheme, it really suits you. Your hair is fabulous too! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieDust721
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007 01:27:48 PM »

beautiful!  I love the top of the bodice and the styling of the corset in the back was a nice surprise Shocked)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007 02:00:24 PM »

I love everything about this. New favorite project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Final Cut Pro 6 Tutorial: Film Look
How to Summon a Mirror Ghost
How to Create a Ghost Home Video
How to create the Lens Flare Effect
How to Make a UFO Video
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...