A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
731 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Gifts for Octogenarians?!?  (Read 4859 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

planet5
« on: November 01, 2004 04:34:05 PM »

I always have so much trouble thinking of Christmas gifts for my grandparents (what do you get the people who already have everything?)... Any suggestions for octogenarian gifts? They live in California, so they don't really have a need for scarves or other cold weather items. I'm at a loss and would really appreciate any ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In this place it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place.
Blog: http://buzzville.typepad.com/
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004 04:42:29 PM »

I always do consumable items for my grandparents.  Nice chocolates, or wine, or cheese, or smoked salmon, or even toilettries.  Something that is nice enough that they might not just buy it for themselves, but that won't take up space for very long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silloh_77

If anyone needs me: I'll be at the thrift store...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004 08:08:31 AM »

"disposable" gifts are the way to go.  This year, my grandparents are getting loaf breads, with a small  ornament for the tree as a tag.  This way, they can freeze the breads,  so in january, they will still have treats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004 07:28:19 AM »

We do favorite local foods for my grandmother: we're in Vermont, she's in PA, so we send maple syrup and cheddar cheese, etc.  And live flowering plants in pretty pots.  She has a green thumb and loves flowers like amaryllis, and keeps them coming back for years.

Not very crafty ideas.  If you want to make them something, think of their interests.  Are they avid movie watchers?  Send them a basket with coupons for video rentals and popcorn and snacks.  Or if they like to travel, little travel kits are great and handy.  There's a thread on here somewhere about using Altoids tins for the cutest mini-kits of all sorts.  I'm always a fan of marble magnets -- make extra large ones with family photos.  What grandparent ever has enough pictures of the family?  A family tree project would be really cool, too.

That's all I can come up with for now.  I was up much too late last night.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lutheranchick
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004 08:53:13 AM »

A scrapbook might be nice.  It could be something as simple as pictures of you sledding or something, or  you could visit a place that is important to them and take pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
simply
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004 09:32:06 AM »

odd as it sounds, we give ours paper products.  paper towels, plates, tp, etc.  they say they already have everything they need, and living on a limited income they'd rather recieve useful everyday items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BayouDreamer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004 10:10:17 AM »

You could make a set of greeting cards and maybe bundle them with some stamps for mailing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
planet5
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004 12:59:25 PM »

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! Just what I needed - an inspirational kick in the pants!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In this place it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place.
Blog: http://buzzville.typepad.com/
dansk
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004 04:03:55 PM »

My grandparents live in California too. Every year my grandmother wants a certain victorian design calendar. She never wants to throw the old one out because she thinks it is too pretty. I decided to cut up the old calendar and make cards out of it for her. A full size calendar makes a lot of cards!

For the cards I fold a 8.5 x 11 piece of cardstock in half, and just glue scenes cut from the calendar on the front. I have an envelope making kit I sometimes use to make the envelopes, but lately I have been buying envelopes from the crafts store.

She really likes these (I have to make more every time she runs out) and enjoys deciding who she will send each one to.

In the past I have also purchased a plain tabletop pine tree that lights up and decorated it with ornaments and family pictures. Since they can't really do the whole live tree thing anymore, this has also been a good gift.

I have also made holiday cookies from my grandmother's old recipes for her as a gift. She can't see well enough to cook anymore and really gets a kick out of telling me how to perfect the recipe next time! Plus my grandfather gets to enjoy them too.

Okay, one more idea, make each grandparent a photo album with pictures of the other in it. No grandkid or kid photos. Just their significant other. I made these for my grandparents and they went over really well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007 08:41:03 AM »

Well let's see a stationary set,a set of slippers,a laprobe,a basket of lotions,powder,personal items (e.g deoderant),if you're really crafty a cross-stitiched family tree,or you could make a family tree quilt hanging.Oh by the way before you give food items check with the nurse or dr. some foods interact  with meds.Also some foods may not be on any special diet they are on.Always check for food allergies also.Don't want people going to hosp. this time of the year.Maybe cross-word puzzles or jig-saw puzzles if they are into that sort of thing.And what about book thongs,books they like,or things to do in regard to their hobbies.That's all i have thought of for now.hope it helps. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Age Wood
How to Antique Your Own Paper
How to Applique Quilts
How to Bind a Book
How to Carve a Cylon Pumpkin
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...