A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knights & Princesses 4th Bday (Image Heavy)  (Read 2600 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2007 02:12:02 AM »

My son's 4th birthday was in March and we had a brave knights and fair princesses themed party.

I made the invites which were scrolled and then attached tags which said things like 'For Sir Johnny the Brave' or 'For the Lady Jane of Smith'.

I decided that because the kids may get messy that I would make costumes for all of them. I made simple tunics with felt applique shields and hot glued on some embellishments. They were made with a stretchy material so that sizing wouldn't be an issue. For the girls I made a short tunic with open sides that tied with ribbon and simply sewed on some tulle for the skirt.

I had a very hard time finding decorations and so I made my own. It wasn't too much work but did need to be done in advance because they seemed to take forever to dry. I made the banners from rolls of kraft paper and hurray for the dollar store for the balloons and streamers!

I had a few games planned and decided that the kids would fill their loot bags as they completed the games. All the goodies were kept in a treasure chest that my son decorated.

This idea was quickly abandoned as the kids were pretty bored with some of the games (esp the coin toss). But they did love the "Jello Pit of Doom" where they had to find a black jelly bean hidden in the jello with gummy worms.

Jousting was also great fun. I made a cardboard horse and had the kids swat balloons with foam swords as they galloped down the hallway. (Note: I really should have planned something for the other kids to do while they took turns jousting ... colouring/decorating their own banners would have been a good idea)

After the games we feasted! We made fruit kabobs, potato wedges, corn on the cob and roasted chicken drumsticks, all eaten with fingers of course! Everything was healthy, inexpensive and delish! All but one of the kids loved everything ...a girl who was dropped off unannounced, left unattended, and was a minor issue all day. We simply told her that she didn't have to eat anything she didn't like but that the lunch that was served was the only menu for that day. She did love her goblet though! We bought dollar store plastic wine glasses and hot glued 'gems' on them. This was one of items that all the kids liked most and asked to take home with them.

I saw a castle cake that I fell in love with but I'm not great at decorating and the kiddo wanted to help out so things got a bit sloppy. He loved it because he got to help and had fun so I wasn't bothered that it wasn't perfect.

After lunch the kids played for a bit and the parents mingled. We sent all the kids home with their costumes and sweets. The boys also got foam swords, toy knights, and gliders. For the girls, noisy wands, beads, princess crowns, and fairy tattoos.

Next time?  I would definitely plan a few small activities for kids to do while waiting their turn and plan more games and activities than you think you need. I would also lock my child's bedroom as it was quickly messed to the point of being a hazard for the kids to be in. Thank the gods that I made extra costumes or there would have been a very sad little girl. I know this sounds cruel but, I would seriously consider turning away anyone who did not RSVP. For the time, effort and money that goes into planning I think that the least someone can do is call to say they are coming.

Ah well, it was a great day and when it was all over my kiddo was quickly back to the jello pit of doom searching for the dreaded black jelly bean of dispair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gareth

A Hopeless Romantic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007 03:31:22 AM »

I absolutely love it! What an awesome party! That cake is the bees knees too.

The only criticism I have is that I didn't get invited!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myfeet

These are my feet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007 05:24:12 AM »

that party looks like more fun than I can handle. That black jellybean thing is genius and the cake awesome and the costumes ha I love it. I'm with Gareth on the not being invited.
and I agree I hate people who don't RSVP. once I threw a friend a bridal shower and one person RSVPed I was sick with worry that no one would show really I couldn't sleep the night before and I got a migraine in the morning, but alas ten people showed, I learned that I needed better friends who knew how to use the phone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My beauty is not only on the surface. It goes down deep... layer after layer after layer. Yes, sir! My beauty is very thick.
I blog here:
http://shecancreate.wordpress.com/
jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007 05:39:26 AM »

You are one crafty momma!!
I wish i had gone to his party- it looked like fun!
And honestly, I think the cake looked great! Its awesome that you let him help too, I bet he felt so special helping make his birthday cake! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
beansoda
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007 02:23:43 PM »

what a great party! The cake looked fantastic! The costumes were great! I loved the horses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007 07:00:31 AM »

Thanks folks.

The other parents loved all the stuff and said I was crazy but I think it's way more fun ... not to mention a lot less expencive! ... to do this than drag all the kiddies out or hire someone to entertain them. My neighbour hired a "Spiderman" to entertain the kids at her son's 4th bday. $200 for an hour! I just can't imagine. I hope he actually spun webs and swung from the ceiling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myfeet

These are my feet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007 10:35:28 AM »

my chin is on the floor!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My beauty is not only on the surface. It goes down deep... layer after layer after layer. Yes, sir! My beauty is very thick.
I blog here:
http://shecancreate.wordpress.com/
Lilgreenbutton
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007 01:49:44 PM »

HOly Moly! You are such a great mom! What beautiful work you did, and all the kids look like they were having the best time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
50srocknrollergirl
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007 01:35:41 AM »

GREAT PARTY!  Wow I wish I was invited!  The little costumes are adorable.  I so know what you mean about RSVPing...it's soooo frustrating having to buy or make extras for those who can't take 30 seconds to make a phone call.  I always waste money and have stuff left over becuase I'm scared to run out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirthgoddess
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007 08:58:20 AM »

Looks like a great kids' party! I really love the cake!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Replace Sewing Machine Needles
How to Understand Basic Sewing Terms
How to Make Paper from Plant Fibers
How to Make Paper from Recycled Paper
How to Make Placemats Out Of Wooden Chopsticks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...