A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [ACCEPTED] - (Make it easier to remove swaps from search results)  (Read 3169 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mishmish
« on: June 30, 2007 09:07:19 PM »

It seems whenever I do a search for ANYTHING, I always get a few pages of huge swap messages before I get any real project results. I know you can use advanced search and everything, but I think it would be great to not include posts on the swap boards automatically.

I know it's not a practical suggestion and I should use advanced search, but it's so annoying to type in "Japanese lucky cat" and get Cat Lovers Swap and ATC Swap as the first few results.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013 02:15:17 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
quilted
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008 10:31:45 PM »

(well... at least I think it would be an improvement  Wink)

What if the default for searching was only listings of completed projects? One could select all boards in advanced search.

The reason I suggest this is because first time users may come to the site, enter a search item, and then become confused when only discussion topics and swap related topics are returned.

For example, I just typed "hello kitty" into the search field. The first three posts are all swap related. For a first-time user, that is like reading a foreign language.

My friend wanted to see examples of homemade books, so of course I told her to come here. Her first instinct was to use the search engine, but she couldn't understand the search results Sad I gave her the link for completed papercraft and bookmaking projects.

Sometimes I just want to see what people have made that has to do with some theme (e.g. Passover, the upcoming big Jewish holiday). I don't want to go into advanced search and select all the completed boards.... I would prefer to just type in "passover" and see some crafty goodness  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Try my free mobile health apps for the military community (and civilians too!): https://t2health.org/products/mobile-apps
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008 04:17:19 AM »

Perhaps another dropdown box like the Limit Search menu.  This one could say All Topics or Completed Projects.  Though, I'm not sure we could fit another menu up there. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
quilted
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008 07:18:42 AM »

Holy smokes! Congrats on getting knocked up!!!!!

Nothing like putting an ultrasound on a website with 134,572 members  Cheesy

Babies rule!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Try my free mobile health apps for the military community (and civilians too!): https://t2health.org/products/mobile-apps
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008 07:19:54 AM »

Cheesy  Thanks!

I didn't put it on here, though.  I put it on Photobucket.  I just put the link to it on here, haha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aisy
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010 09:33:46 PM »

hey guys-so ive been trying to search for things and for a while my searches were turning up items that were not really relevant-and then id search for a swap that i knew existed and it wouldnt show up, or at least not until 20 pages later!is there any way this can be fixed? its really annoying me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010 04:56:33 AM »

Hi there!  Could you give me the exact search strings you were using, so I can reproduce the issue?

Also, have you tried using the Advanced Search?  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=search;advanced  You can select certain boards, titles only, most recent/relevant/largest threads, etc.  It's VERY helpful for me on a daily basis.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010 11:05:32 AM »

Yea, I definitely have to sing the praises of Advanced search.  It takes a little more time to set up but can really help narrow down results!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aisy
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010 11:58:49 AM »

Hmmm I haven't used the advance search feature yet. Gonna try it. Oh and I searched for forest friends swap and it gave me the post I put on the new ideas board and not any of the past swaps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missnihkii
Savoring this carpet ceiling.

missnihkiiiikhinssim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011 09:48:54 PM »

i have to agree. for a long time now i dont even use the search feature much because its so sporadic. i just searched dog diaper( which i know theres a lot of on here or used to be) and just cant find anything, even with advanced search. i like craigslists search system, you just type in two words and it matches pretty well. i looovve craftser, but the search makes me sad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Nihkii

Personal swaps?YES YES YES!!

so..im OBSESSED with buttons and stickers..

MissNihkiis Wist

i miss my colorado Sad
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Suzy Welch Reveals Who She Admires Most
Mark Bittman Reveals His Greatest Achievement
Suzy Welch Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Holly Black Interviews Cassandra Clare
Nina Malkin Talks About Swoon
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...